• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automation

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give me a 3D printer that'll punch out robots, drones or some other tiny mechanized creatures using chips from China, that'll run around each field picking weeds and applying fungicide to affected plants or swats bugs as needed. Solar powered army that just doesn't stop
    Last edited by macdon02; Apr 14, 2018, 17:57.

Comment

Good point Mac

What would we need to grow a crop organic?
      - biologicals and other nutrient sources
      - I like the drone/robot weeders

- I like even more the revenues, less expenditures (risk) and the growing market

Comment

I like the money printing press.

Oh, that would be so great because with farming you just piss money away all day.

3D printer could be cool to have.

Ah shit, it would probably be quicker than our contractors in Florida. FML.

Comment

In theory you'd reduce pesticide use on crop itself by probably 80ish% depending how accurate the robot can get. You would be applying only to the weeds. **** these TUA's and gmo bullshit. Not sure it would ever be totally organic but if there's some mechanical removal running for 6 weeks we don't need the latest and greatest $30 shot of snake oil. Likely be more effective in the long run.... "I have a dream"

Comment

great topic , love the responses , nice to hire younger people to teach
            me how to think in the new world of tech. take a picture of it . and they google the manual
            before I am done looking for it in the shop . (feel like an idiot )
            hard to teach old dog , but I am trying.

like I tell my kids when they ask for advice , do not ask me , I know everything you need to know to about surviving in the last century how much good it will do you ? you figure out

sadly in their mid 30s , they are almost too old, so you end up mining your grandson for info
            but there are actually things of value in there too .
            Last edited by sawfly1; Apr 15, 2018, 00:16.

Comment

I would like a diagnostic code reader that would quickly identify computer problems especially ones associated with ag diesels and hydraulics. If we could easily find and fix computer glitches that are causing so much aggravation, it would make our lives so much more enjoyable and reduce stress at seeding and harvest.

Comment

There has already been great technical strides in the last century. My Dad has seen alot of changes and I wonder what farming will look like by the time I'm his age?

It seems the changes are more advanced each time and more frequent, probably a parabolic line if charted since the Wild West was tamed.

I've had a tough time adjusting in the beginning but am better at adapting to and adopting some of the new technology.

My question would be, just how much of it is truly necessary?

Some literally makes my life easier, while some I haven't adopted I just consider hair splitting.

You've all heard me claim our efficiency gains just get stolen anyway.

Comment

Keep in mind that the easier we make things down on the farm, the less barriers to entry there are. Not many people want to milk cows by hand, fork into a threshing machine, hand weed, or drive an open tractor in the dust/rain/blizzard. But a lot of people would be quite willing to push some buttons on a computer to do theses same jobs with no knowledge or hardship required

Comment

Good reason to own land.

Comment

Klause

What Are your thoughts on technology adoption?

Where would you like to see the next advancements in our industry?

Bourgault is probably working on a 150 foot drill with a 1500 bushel tank. The “it’s never enough” attitude has served them well but it’s nothing I’m looking for.

Some automated self driving implements on the other hand..

Comment

An android like off of Startrek that can do it all. If the automated machinery needs constant baby sitting then whats the point?

Yes, excessive automation at Tesla was a mistake. To be precise, my mistake. Humans are underrated.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk)*April 13, 2018

Comment

But what if it works really good some day?

One way of looking at early adoption is that your helping foster something that will eventually be adopted by the masses and bring about a possative change in the industry. Only 13% are considered early adopters. Lentil I gather is not categorized as one, but I bet he doesn’t regret investing in auto steer?

If someone somewhere didn’t step up to the plate and say “I’m willing to adopt this new technology because i think it’s a great idea and it will be good for my farm”.

Would biglentil still be out there eyeballing the line or looking for his spray foam marks out in the field this spring if nobody adopted early?

Also Comparing Musks mistake of rolling out full scale automation for the model 3 prior to the factory being ready for full scale implementation isnt really a fair argument for dismissing the potential of automation in agriculture. It does point out the importance of product testing.

I would think manufacturers will become more conscious of the importance of product testing to protect their reputation.

We all know that the EPA threw a big wrench into the reliability of farm machinery. Trying to keep up with those mandates over that span of time was too much for the manufacturing industry to handle and it shows today in the problems that still exist in emmisions systems.

I have 16 deisel engines on my farm and I’m only concerned with the reliability of the newer ones.
                          Last edited by workboots; Apr 16, 2018, 19:37.

Comment

On this topic Case IH autonomous trials right now...

https://www.grainews.ca/2018/04/19/autonomous-tractors-go-into-field-trials/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=cb4e7243 da-Grainews+daily+enews+Apr+20%2C+2018&utm_medium=ema il&utm_term=0_2da8244677-cb4e7243da-88067685 https://www.grainews.ca/2018/04/19/autonomous-tractors-go-into-field-trials/?utm_source=GFM+Publications&utm_campaign=cb4e7243 da-Grainews+daily+enews+Apr+20%2C+2018&utm_medium=ema il&utm_term=0_2da8244677-cb4e7243da-88067685

Comment

Can anyone make an automatic slapper with two big paddles that would pick out the global warming idiots and implant a little common sense?

Comment

To be honest, I cannot imagine how robots will take care of trees. But with the tremendous development of robotics in manufacturing, engineering and even pharmacy, this idea seems reasonable. For example, now we have a factory that creates automatic bowl feeders. If you are interested, you may check https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/automation-products/bowl-feeders/ https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/automation-products/bowl-feeders/ . Using their robots, steel factories' yield increased for over 8% which is higher than quarterly norm. Pretty surprising results. Therefore, if the tree industry is automated, the numbers can get much more like those at steel factories.
                                Last edited by Solaire; Jul 23, 2021, 06:05.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...