• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$100 billion in tariffs on China. No Backing down looks like a leader?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$100 billion in tariffs on China. No Backing down looks like a leader?

U.S. President Donald Trump instructed the U.S. trade representative to consider slapping an additional $100 billion US in tariffs on Chinese goods on Thursday in a dramatic escalation of the trade dispute between the two countries, reports the CBC.
    Trump's surprise move came a day after Beijing announced plans to tax $50 billion in American products, including soybeans and small aircraft, in response to a U.S. move this week to slap tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese imports.
    And it intensified what was already shaping up to be the biggest trade battle since the Second World War. Global financial markets had fallen sharply as the world's two biggest economies squared off over Beijing's aggressive trade tactics. But they had calmed down Wednesday and Thursday on hopes the U.S. and China would find a diplomatic solution.
    Instead, the White House announced after the markets closed Thursday that Trump had instructed the office of the U.S. trade representative to consider whether $100 billion of additional tariffs would be appropriate and, if so, to identify which products they should apply to. He's also instructed his secretary of agriculture "to implement a plan to protect our farmers and agricultural interests."

World markets lower on Friday after U.S. President Donald Trump’s threat to impose an extra $100 billion in tariffs on China exacerbated fears of a more serious trade dispute, reports Reuters. European shares followed their Asian counterparts into the red but the falls were limited, and the broader ups and downs for markets this week suggest investors are not yet convinced the row will escalate into a full-blown trade war that threatens global economic growth.

Now, this is big boy card game our little piss ant in Ottawa couldn't even tell India to go F#$K itself and his approach is here is our country open for all to take just send me a little check to my foundation and I'm ok.

China may hold the Trump card . . . .

China holds about $1.2 trillion of U.S. treasuries, the largest foreign creditor. Only the U.S. Federal Reserve itself owns more U.S. debt.

Any move by China to dump treasuries could inflict significant damage of U.S. markets and investors. They call it their 'nuclear option' in the U.S. trade war . . . .

Comment

People still have to eat right?

China will let it's people starve?

Comment

Interesting:

He's also instructed his secretary of agriculture "to implement a plan to protect our farmers and agricultural interests."

Comment

Ok, so China plays the wild card and the USA dollar crashes.

Will it crash?

Is a lower USA dollar bad or Great?

Will money pour into the USA again or leave

I still think its time someone Bitch Slapped China. Every time they play the game with the US in Canada our canola is up and doing well for farmers they make a bullshit rule like ERgot in Canola etc. and price drops in Canada, they come in and buy a piss pot full.

Who wins China not Canadian farmers.

Look at our deal to sell the property to them Vancouver is now Hongcouver.

Comment

I woke up and it's 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post

China holds about $1.2 trillion of U.S. treasuries, the largest foreign creditor. Only the U.S. Federal Reserve itself owns more U.S. debt.

Any move by China to dump treasuries could inflict significant damage of U.S. markets and investors. They call it their 'nuclear option' in the U.S. trade war . . . .

This could get very interesting. There are two kinds of fear in my mind:

Number 1 - Is Canada guilty by association and consequently gets caught up in the war or
              Number 2 - Will Canada benefit by picking up the slack while US gets killed? (Will our dollar be pushed down with American or will it be inversely launched?)

How do we analyse the fall out and most importantly - how can we benefit from this dangerous
              experiment? Do we stand by and watch or do we jump in? Where is that crystal ball when you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                I woke up and it's 1982.
                Rip Van Winkle or RumpelSF3skin? Grassy is going to tell you your life is a fairytale!

Comment

haha haha

that was so funny I spit out my coffee.

Cleaning grain will not happen today as peas will crack in minus 22. plus I forgot to leave the tandem plugged in and probably won't start ah its cold outside.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post

I am surprised it is that little. China's holdings of US treasuries has dropped significantly while interest rates have risen it has not been that much given both Fed tightening and a 2T drop in China holdings. As rates in the US rise, more holdings of US treasuries become domestic as well as with fewer US dollars going to China there is more available to hold treasuries. Bottom line China loses and loses big. Once the freight starts to build up on the dock in China it will hurt them big. But as another poster pointed out they will starve their own population in order that the big wigs over there look smart. Why are folks on here wanting to turn Canuckistan into a chinese vassal state again? Alberta is going to have to be more Trump like in dealing with BC regarding the Kinder Morgan pipeline. Actually do what you say you are going to do.
                    Last edited by ajl; Apr 6, 2018, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Interesting:

He's also instructed his secretary of agriculture "to implement a plan to protect our farmers and agricultural interests."
                      same as here , NOT, peas get a tariff in India ,our price falls 35% overnight , our leader is vacationing somewhere warm
                      steel gets a tariff in US , steel producers here tell us to hurry up and buy because price going up ? ? WTF.? again Trudeau is holidaying

Comment

The Canadian Way the Liberals know they have a useless fool at the helm and only way to keep him quiet is send him away and hope, no pray he doesn't F#$K up.

He is gone rest of the month.

Nothing important in Canada for the leader to be here.

Wow, people who voted for this mess must be a real special kind.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          This could get very interesting. There are two kinds of fear in my mind:

Number 1 - Is Canada guilty by association and consequently gets caught up in the war or
                          Number 2 - Will Canada benefit by picking up the slack while US gets killed? (Will our dollar be pushed down with American or will it be inversely launched?)

How do we analyse the fall out and most importantly - how can we benefit from this dangerous
                          experiment? Do we stand by and watch or do we jump in? Where is that crystal ball when you need it?
                          I asked of the processor with whom I contract my soybeans - what's the upside/risk for us? Ontario has a solid reputation as a steady IP/food grade soybean supplier, albeit small in comparison to the US or western Canada.

His take on it is that if the tariffs go onto US beans, we can expect to get hit with them as well because the Chinese foresee that the US will try to channel their beans thru Ontario and Brazil.

Bunge, Cargill et all do not know borders the way we do as producers.

Like, there wouldn't be anything suspicious about Ontario shipping 300 million bu of soys from 3 million acres, would there? LOL

Comment

Soy futures only slightly lower, DOW down 400.
                            Traders thinking trade war will be avoided but economy will suffer otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                              I asked of the processor with whom I contract my soybeans - what's the upside/risk for us? Ontario has a solid reputation as a steady IP/food grade soybean supplier, albeit small in comparison to the US or western Canada.

His take on it is that if the tariffs go onto US beans, we can expect to get hit with them as well because the Chinese foresee that the US will try to channel their beans thru Ontario and Brazil.

Bunge, Cargill et all do not know borders the way we do as producers.

Like, there wouldn't be anything suspicious about Ontario shipping 300 million bu of soys from 3 million acres, would there? LOL
                              There will be very little impact on the soy market as there is no surplus beans at $10 US per bushel. China needs the beans unless they are short $USD to pay for them which is the bigger problem. Getting the beans through Canada is a bit of a way out for them if we have the ability to load them on a boat some where. Could be good for Canadian shipping. Beans trading higher in the US

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...