• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chickpeas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chickpeas

If you're growing then make sure you have a market and a contract.

Argentina's drought is over. Rain came and is still coming. They have really attractive prices for winter chickpeas and they are our biggest competition.

Early indications are a doubling to trippling of normal acres.

You heard it here first folks

Smart farmer will be seeding pulses again as they always do. Low prices fix low prices.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmb View Post
      Smart farmer will be seeding pulses again as they always do. Low prices fix low prices.
      What are you talking about?

Chickpeas are like pigeon peas. Prices in the stratosphere.

Comment

Although I would not recommend seeding chickpeas corner to corner like the lentil thing in Saskatchewan a couple years ago, that's what started this whole mess with India. Looking forward to this new pea plant in Manitoba going to be a great outlet for peas.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
          What are you talking about?

Chickpeas are like pigeon peas. Prices in the stratosphere.
          Just making the point not to move away from what you normally grow for example instead of growing 3000 ac of lentils or peas grow 3000ac of chickpeas next year....

Comment

Although I would not recommend seeding chickpeas corner to corner like the lentil thing in Saskatchewan a couple years ago, that's what started this whole mess with India. Looking forward to this new pea plant in Manitoba going to be a great outlet for peas.

Ummm... Not it wasn't.

We grew them because there was a market for them.

What started this "mess" with India is our liberal idiots playing partisan politics with the Sihks.

That, combined with massive uprisings of Indian farmers because of low internal prices.

Canada became the perfect scapegoat.

Do you realize there's rallies of 20,000 plus indian farmers carrying hammer and sickle flags demanding a communist uprising in India?

Please take some time to study the geopolitical issues in our trading partners and competitors.

Comment

It is clear India is oversupplied with lentils. That could change fairly fast. For now they dont want our pulses but they will again. I do read the news but I just believe supply and demand mostly sets price more than politics although I will agree it played a larger than normal role in this india thing.

Comment

It is clear India is oversupplied with lentils. That could change fairly fast. For now they dont want our pulses but they will again. I do read the news but I just believe supply and demand mostly sets price more than politics although I will agree it played a larger than normal role in this india thing.

Um.

The “lentil boom” in Kazakhstan started not so long ago. It is the last two years which witness sharp growth of Kazakh farmers’ interest in this crop.

This interest emerged for good reason. Lentil is comparatively easy to cultivate and the agroclimatic conditions in Kazakhstan suite it fine. Despite its low yields (for instance, compared with peas), lentil remains quite a profitable crop for Kazakh farmers. In fact, this is why they expand lentil planted acreage. In addition, proximity of key end markets along with weak competition just “warms up” the lentil market in Kazakhstan.

In 2017 lentils replaced the traditional peas as the country’s main pulse crop. This happened even though pea acreage increased, too. This year, lentil’s share in pulse plantings reached 73% against 22% seeded to peas.

In the last two seasons Kazakhstan managed to export over 70% of its lentil crop.

That "weak competition" is Canada.

India is still importing pulses... They have special agreements with Kazakhstan... No tariffs.

The term "weak competition" is showing up everywhere referring to Canada in the trade of pulses grains and oilseeds.

Source:
                http://www.blackseagrain.net/novosti/on-the-201clentil-boom201d-in-kazakhstan/ http://www.blackseagrain.net/novosti/on-the-201clentil-boom201d-in-kazakhstan/

Comment

Yup, I agree. Can't blame Canada for 70+ cent Large Green Lentils and 40+ Red Lentils....we just responded in spades. Maybe some other areas of the world caught on too. India is responding to high prices just like we did, just not completely in the same way.

Comment

I thought Australia was the main chickpea competition?

Comment

Oh my God. It's not about over production in India, check what percent of their population is starving? At the same time they have a growing affluent richer sector. 2 very different growing parts. The divide of those that have and those that don't have is creating this problem of starving and living like kings.
                      The cure for farmers problems is when more can afford our product and costs of producing are lower.

Why are our chemicals and fertilizers so expensive? Why is equipment and land so expensive relative to all
                      The people that are starving?
                      look at the cost of fuel? Look at the cost of sask crop insurance premium in relation. To the poor coverages and all the ways people have suggested on here they get out of paying for that coverage.
                      At the same time our government has taken money out of crop insurance to pay for their other debts?!??

We all keep trying to support our favourite political party by jabbing at the stupid things the other one does to hurt us farmers when the reality is we have no party working for farmers interests anymore and we are fools to think otherwise.

Comment

A big part of the sudden over supply of food in India is their current government has made the poor poorer there reversing a lot of the progress made over the past 20 years. A a result demand has weakened and the economy in general, causing the government to look for other revenue sources like import tariffs. So called currency reform was a big part of this. T

Comment

If there are more people starving and can’t afford the food in India then the govt should expect riots and worse. Didn’t a government there lose a election once due to high i onion prices?

Commodities are cycles. Eastern Europe, Russia etc will get into soy next, Way easier, better margins and China will help them, and Putin wants to help them.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            I thought Australia was the main chickpea competition?

Used to be.

Argentina's chickpea acres and production have risen on average 43% per year since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                              Used to be.

Argentina's chickpea acres and production h[ATTACH]2786[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2786[/ATTACH]ave risen on average 43% per year since 2007.
                              Klause: Trump is looking for a speech writer ... suggest you apply.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...