• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old prices

Found these in the glovebox of an old truck,

Somethings you cant explain to younger farmers.

Comment

What was the deduction at tisdale to get it to port? -$1.40 Is in my head delivered melfort.

Comment

Oh the good ole wheat board days lol kept farmers very depressed

Comment

our last board grain delivered viterra tisdale or whatever it was back then was $1.65/bu

Comment

1999-2000 were fun times to be farming. I remember canola bids were under $5/bu, oats at 1.25. Some young guys now have no idea how low prices can go.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
              1999-2000 were fun times to be farming. I remember canola bids were under $5/bu, oats at 1.25. Some young guys now have no idea how low prices can go.
              Invigor 2153 seed was under 3 bucks a lb. prices were low, but those were money making years on this farm. Canola wasn’t under 5 for long...

Comment

That was the reality with CWB. It was a rough time period.

Canola was way cheaper in the 80s. and we had USA and Europe supporting farmers Canada said let them fail it's a worthless industry.

History is coming full circle but this time they will support again research and tec and farmers will fall by the wayside.

Were worthless to the Canadian system.

Comment

I know it was a pain waiting for payments but what was final net returns in that year?

Comment

Does anyone remember the US Export Enhancement (EEP) program that was around at that time?
                    How the Export Enhancement program worked was that the US offered export subsidies to the US trans national grain companies. So a US company would make a sale to another country processor etc. They would sell them two bushels of wheat and send the third one free.

This caused our cowboys to run the border because the US domestic market was not subsidized and was higher than the world price. Of course they blamed lower prices on the CWB.

Of course the Canadian government at the time set out to and eventually removed most of the farm support programs. They ended GRIP, reduced the governments contribution to Crop Insurance, eliminated the two price wheat system, eliminated the The Crow Rate (WGTA crow benefit) income tax breaks etc.
                    Of course US farmers retained their farm programs and the US export enhancement program went on for years. I believe the US calls this free trade.
                    I remember the feed wheat price in 2004 was decimated by the EEP program the US had used on sales on of corn and feed grains.
                    Last edited by Integrity_Farmer; Apr 2, 2018, 14:03.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	History.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	766371

Why does the left always want to live in the past?

2 bushels one free - citation...
                      EEP value per tonne in 2004 ...citation ...
                      EEP for corn - citation ...

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                        [ATTACH]2784[/ATTACH]

Why does the left always want to live in the past?

2 bushels one free - citation...
                        EEP value per tonne in 2004 ...citation ...
                        EEP for corn - citation ...
                        Mr.Weber Your rhetoric is devoid of information. Maybe you should be a cartoonist

With respect to the export enhancement program here is a study of the impacts on Wheat. This study included Harvey Brooks and two other economists.
                        https://www.card.iastate.edu/products/publications/pdf/89wp46.pdf

From the study "The EEP played a large role in the US export program being applied to 70% of US wheat sales in 1987-1988. By June of 1989 a total of 61.0 MMT of US wheat sold under the EEP".
                        " of Canadian wheat exports to China an average Subsidy of US$39.85/mt. The USSR received a average US subsidy of US $35.40 mt"

From Wikipedia
                        "The Export Enhancement Program (EEP) is a program that the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) initiated in May 1985 under the Commodity Credit Corporation Charter Act to help U.S. exporters meet competitors’ subsidized prices in targeted markets. The program currently is authorized through 2007 under the 2002 farm bill (P.L. 107-171). Under EEP, exporters are awarded cash payments that enable an exporter to sell certain commodities to specified countries at competitive prices.

Larry the export enhancement program did exist. EEP greatly reduced the return from CWB sales in that period. It was common knowledge at the time that western Canadian farmers were losing over one billion dollars annually because of EEP.

Why can't those that betrayed the farmers for personal gain such a L Weber take responsibility for their actions? Larry you were a CWB hater. Since the Canadian Wheat board was ended farmers have lost over 9 billion dollars. This is work by economist Richard Gray U of S.
                        Mr. Weber tell us how the elimination of the Canadian Wheat Board has benefited the farmers. Citation...

"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
                        Last edited by Integrity_Farmer; Apr 2, 2018, 21:11.

Comment

They were the biggest impediment to farmers in western Canada in my lifetime. The difference is I had the balls to put my name to what I believed in - do you?

Comment

9 Billion,this is great. We were down 10 billion only this past February. Gained a billion in 2 months

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                              They were the biggest impediment to farmers in western Canada in my lifetime. The difference is I had the balls to put my name to what I believed in - do you?
                              I can tell you are embarrassed by your hostile response. No need to be angry. Where are your alternate facts on EEP??????

"Tell me where a man gets his corn pone from and I will tell you what his pinions are" Mark Twain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...