• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One for grass

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for grass

Didnt take much notice in canada last year, but you guys got the same "certified" angus or hereford or wagyu beef.

I bought a side of beef which was certified angus, upon delivery and packing said to wife this dont quite look right.
    Fat was distinctively yellow tinge.

Anyway cooked a steak think next night and wife said this is tough.

Complained to private kill abbitior and he looked into it.

Turned out bull was pure angus and mother was 50/50 fresian angus cross hence the dairy fat.

He bought it as pure, i said you must have known well he didnt.

Anyway got half the cost of side refunded and told to keep my trap shut.

Both supplier and breeder said it qualifies for certified angus because of % but doesnt qualify for "pure" angus beef.

Sneaky marketing

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Didnt take much notice in canada last year, but you guys got the same "certified" angus or hereford or wagyu beef.

I bought a side of beef which was certified angus, upon delivery and packing said to wife this dont quite look right.
    Fat was distinctively yellow tinge.

Anyway cooked a steak think next night and wife said this is tough.

Complained to private kill abbitior and he looked into it.

Turned out bull was pure angus and mother was 50/50 fresian angus cross hence the dairy fat.

He bought it as pure, i said you must have known well he didnt.

Anyway got half the cost of side refunded and told to keep my trap shut.

Both supplier and breeder said it qualifies for certified angus because of % but doesnt qualify for "pure" angus beef.

Sneaky marketing

I've never heard of "dairy fat" - they usually don't have any. Yellow fat colouration is usually the sign of grass-fed versus grain fed. Most of these brand marketing schemes are a joke - in the US it only needs to come from black hided cattle to qualify as Angus under the CAB program which is why nearly every breed has been mongrelized beyond recognition - Simmis and Charolais, Gelbvieh and Limo all turned black to fit the Angus scheme.

I did a quick google and see some of your programs are genuinely 100% Angus, others are not like Thomas Foods "Certified Australian Angus beef" which only has to be off an Angus sire out of a 50% Angus dam with the rest being "British" or Wagyu.

The Canadian Angus Association issues Angus tags based on bull sales so they are only guaranteeing that the calf is at least 50% Angus. Individual programs may have higher standards but I'm not familiar with them.

Angus beef is overrated anyway - I can produce better stuff any day.

Comment

Been a few years since I have bought an Angus bull but got a call this spring from the Angus Association trying to peddle the Angus Rfid tags. They said they are lobbying to make the tag the requirement to fit the program. So basically I could buy the tags and put them in whatever calf and they would be certified Angus. Good marketing I guess but what a load of BS.

Grass I feel disappointed too by the cattle industry breeding up percentage animals to get blacks of all breeds. Basically just made most purebred cattle Heinz 57, so much for breed standards. Go to a show nowadays and you almost gotta ask what breed you are looking at sometimes, and not just because of colour, breed standards have been forgotten. Even Angus aren't like the Angus of 20yrs ago.

Malle there was a thread a few months back where we argued about the Angus program here.

Comment

didnt know that grass ive always been lead to believe dairy meat has real yellow fat and pure beef is more white but makes sense its just diet.

angas bring premium in the markets here to a degree.

Got invited to a restuarant today not five star but top end, the steak was so so, the beef itself, way it was cooked maybe both but 6/10 at best.

But hey had a crap steak in canada at a chain is it "mr mikes" or something similair?

/

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...