• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Africa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa

I have my plane ticket booked for June 26th for a week.

Have some engineering/install work to do onsight for one of the projects I'm involved with.

Anyway was wondering if any of you have been there? Going to be in Johannesburg and then to meet with government officials in Cape Town.

Would bringing the family along be a wise thing to do?

Don't know too much about the country other than general history and their problems with whites vs blacks.

Please don't turn this thread into one of those topics ha ha.

Anyway I'm off to haul more grain.

Cargil crush and Leroy Feeds are open today. Go figure.

Hear the scenery is beautiful. I would never take my kids there but i am pretty cautious about that sort of thing. It is scary what is happening to some farmers over there but if tou are headed there I am sure you know all about that.

Comment

Was there for 3 weeks holiday in '96 soon after apartheid ended. Tourists are not generally targeted and most of the violence and crime tends to be off the beaten tracks in the townships. Saying that it's still a violent country compared to likely anywhere else you've been. Felt a lot more comfortable in Cape Town than in Jo'burg. I'd be comfortable going, even with family, with something organized - people you are working with pick you up or get a local guide/driver - not the kind of place you want to hire a car, take a wrong turn and finish up somewhere you shouldn't be.
      Beautiful country though with the vineyards of the Western Cape and the outstandingly well farmed land on the Eastern Cape/Natal coast particular highlights. Spoiler alert - they have penguins on the very southern tip of the Cape !! - I wasn't expecting to see penguins in Africa but when you do you realise how far south you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        I have my plane ticket booked for June 26th for a week.

Have some engineering/install work to do onsight for one of the projects I'm involved with.

Anyway was wondering if any of you have been there? Going to be in Johannesburg and then to meet with government officials in Cape Town.

Would bringing the family along be a wise thing to do?

Don't know too much about the country other than general history and their problems with whites vs blacks.

Please don't turn this thread into one of those topics ha ha.

Anyway I'm off to haul more grain.

Cargil crush and Leroy Feeds are open today. Go figure.
        Ive heard that things have cooled racially. The day zero water crisis is something you likely know more about.

Like anywhere you’ll find some areas and times of day are more dangerous then others. I think the threat of danger is exaggerated but nothing to take lightly.

Can I ask details of the project your working on? Iv been to Africa a few times but haven’t given South Africa enough attention.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          Spoiler alert - they have penguins on the very southern tip of the Cape !! - I wasn't expecting to see penguins in Africa but when you do you realise how far south you are.
          You better watch the kids animated movie called Madagascar! 😁

Comment

We own property over there and yes some times I think we will loose our investment. It’s like every place crime happens.

Funny South African farmers are moving to canada to get out.

Makes you wonder.

Comment

Had some dealings with a south african group that I sold cattle to.Basically europeans that moved there.Group seemed very religous in their thinking.Definate line between white and black there.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Madagascar-movie-poster.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	766360

Proof

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                  We own property over there....
                  Agriville's Donald Trump? - I highly doubt it. What is it this time - condo, JD dealership or ostrich farm?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                    We own property over there and yes some times I think we will loose our investment. It’s like every place crime happens.

Funny South African farmers are moving to canada to get out.

Makes you wonder.
                    Why on earth would you want to own property there? Can't imagine it's a great investment? Have some friends that own a bunch of farmland in Zimbabwe, haven't seen it in years, no idea what the story is or even if they can go and claim it or sell it or whatever. Not my cup of tea!!

I know quite a few people from S.A., they all say its the most beautiful country in the world then sigh and bow there heads and talk about how bad society is. A shame for sure.

Comment

Such a shame every place with great climate/land has SHIT for society/politics.

Comment

Ah grass the parasite of Agriville. Bought in 2008 might make money might not. But again your so smart tell us more.

Comment

Oh, it's just that bottle of Cape Agulhas Merlot you're talking about. Yeah, you'll probably do Ok with it - wasn't too much vintage in 2008 on account of the wet growing season.

Comment

Ah parasite that’s funny.

But it’s property.

Not LEGO like you play with

Comment

Is this ball busting or do you guys really hate each other?

I can't tell, but there's probably a chemical you can use to get rid of parasites.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...