• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just mean spirited or Are these actions of actual or Wannabe dictators

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....when conflict of interest guidelines get in the way......

Well one-off, our Reeve is stepping down or should I say forced to step down! But supposedly not from any wrong doing! But the "appearance" of being in conflict based on the fact he does some Financial Planning (investment and life insurance) work. Potential "influence". Not sure now if it is because of municipal bylaw or underwriters and securities bylaws(I don't know if I got my terminology and designations right).

Before he became Reeve, he was my division's councillor, I can guarantee you he pissed me off at times and didn't agree on every issue....he was a tough nut.....but he was good for this RM.

In this case it is sad when "perception" trumps "reality". I don't think this is a municipal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
      Hey One-off, if your still monitoring this thread, was wondering if you knew who one would contact, and what department would it be, on conflict of interest questions. I want to ask someone other than an administrator or rm elected officials.
      And Hi to farmaholic too. There are mechanisms to handle conflicts of interest; which includes both real ones that may surface; and the equally important conflicts of interest that look to unbiased bystanders that they would fairly state appear to represent a perceived or potential instance of what could be a conflict of interest.

Whilst a person may not seem; or personally feel they have much impact on issues of the day...one does gain some experience and even expertise that just isn't widely available in rural Sask.

Perhaps I can say what doesn't outwardly appear to work may have a lot more influence that is visibly evident. There are indeed; those "departments" who oversee and have jurisdiction over various public bodies and employers. This government oversight tend to show their agreement or disagreements though public notification. Such and a whack of 50 some pages of clarification of the Municipalities Act; or unceremoniously relieving a reeve of his posting; or charging a councillor with breach of trust; or the Ombudsman making recommendations on specific councillor behavior. This is is pretty tough stuff and only happens when things are wrong and not controlled at the source.

So my suggestion is

Try to work with even the most belligerant b*******s because they do deserve a chance to respond and even do their best to make things right. When and if that doesn't work; and your are put on the black lists; and deliberately spited at every turn; then its time to go over council's head; because it has become a council problem and not merely misdeeds of one or more of its members.

It may seem a waste of time to exercise your Bylaw concerning reporting conflicts of interest that are specifically directed to council's attention. AND INDEED THAT IS A WASTE OF TIME UNLESS you are prepared to later pursue it through courts with the complaint that council erred in law or exceeded their jurisdiction or the process was fraught with inappropriate influence in the process by the very persons being complained about.

I'd suggest first talking to a Municipal Advisor.
      https://www.saskatchewan.ca/government/directory?ou=28658bd1-5dc8-4673-8912-8ffb2b6e6967

That's where the provincial government gets their feedback on municipal affairs. Hence the name "municipal advisor". They are dedicated ordinary people who have heard every side; know the statutes and won't give you any legal advice; but they'll repeat what the rules are; point you to the pertinent parts of the Municipal Act; and might even bring it up during the weekly (I understand) meetings with the Minister of Governmental Affairs. And if you happen to be in Regina it couldn't hurt to ask to see the Minister; and you'll at least be able to vent to an intern. The side benefit is that when three or more independent people did the same thing the provincial government would think there was the beginning of an uprising.

I'll hurry this up. Only takes an extra part of an hour and the same concerns are in the hands of the Ombudsman

It's also been suggested to me that the Privacy commissioner is another point of interest. Now there's a full fledged lawyer whose staff may someday sit down with every remaining council member (just like they do with provincial MLA's.) That seems to be necessary nowadays at all higher levels that rural politics. Anybody think that same problems just don't happen at the lowest "thankless" jobs. The notion that it has to be financially unrearding should be put to rest when you're knee deep in entitlements such as 5 digits for clay or gravel supply and every council members and all its appointments are automatically enrolled in some unexplained (but desirable expensive medical, dental, drug, eyecare, etc maybe including family members, dependents cohabitants etc, perhaps also various work compensation schemes as well)
      Always willing to spread the word. And believe me there is lots to tell and still remain everyone's business.

Keep bringing this matter up as it truly is important even if only a few have their oxen being gored at any one time.

Comment

Thanks, will start there. I have told the person that he is in conflict, he feels not.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
          Thanks, will start there. I have told the person that he is in conflict, he feels not.
          Any and all conflicts totally belong to the individual concerned.

Now the handling of actual or perceived conflicts is up to others AND NOT the ones who got themselves in the pickle in the first place. That "tiny" distinction is commonly lost on the parties who are alleged to have broken the law. aka as peer council members. In my opinion when this happens it clearly demonstrates another more serious council wide conflict of interest. There are others who do understand such situations; and they certainly do have the appropriate powers to dissuade those who either don't know or could care less.

Its also commonly lost on the rest of council that they must chose appropriate remedies and punishments. Failure to do so spells the end of this third level of government; and people who you would never dream of acknowledging this distinct inevitability are more numerous than is commonly known.

I do wish you luck and hopefully the general public in your area isn't nearly as negligent as in some other areas. This conflict of interest shit appears rampant and unrecognized for the dangers that it presents

Comment

Just one friendly bump to the top. Why not some new comments as it is pretty important. Heck the very existence of all those RM's may be at stake.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...