• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel and aluminum tariff, how much more shit will the west have rubbed in its face

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel and aluminum tariff, how much more shit will the west have rubbed in its face

anyone know what steel industry is worth in Canada ? compared to Ag industry ? everyone is up in arms , even had the prime minister???? commenting on it on the news . meanwhile he went to India and probably never even asked the prime minister about it , but pissed everyone off there so much , that they put Ag tariffs higher ? are any of you supporters figuring this out yet ? in case you haven't ,the steel industry is in the east , the Ag industry is in the west , except for most of the dairy industry , which is in the east , oh wait , it's protected . what a f$&king joke it's getting to be
    and again , will there be an immediate 30% drop in the price of steel , like there was with peas ? I will bet anything if this tariff is applied , we will pay more for steel in sask , because of it
    Last edited by Guest; Mar 3, 2018, 06:58.

Originally posted by caseih View Post
    anyone know what steel industry is worth in Canada ? compared to Ag industry ? everyone is up in arms , even had the prime minister???? commenting on it on the news . meanwhile he went to India and probably never even asked the prime minister about it , but pissed everyone off there so much , that they put Ag tariffs higher ? are any of you supporters figuring this out yet ? in case you haven't ,the steel industry is in the east , the Ag industry is in the west , except for most of the dairy industry , which is in the east , oh wait , it's protected . what a f$&king joke it's getting to be
    and again , will there be an immediate 30% drop in the price of steel , like there was with peas ? I will bet anything if this tariff is applied , we will pay more for steel in sask , because of it
    I don't know what the steel industry in Canada is worth but in 2016 Canada shipped $5.87 billion of steel to the U.S. and interestingly the U.S. shipped $5.96 billion to Canada. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out a retaliatory tariff in this case! Pea exports to India I see quoted around $500 million - so in $ terms steel exports are 11 times more important to Canada than peas.

Comment

that is simple then , why wouldn't our guy just say he will match the tariff ?
      I was more interested in what the entire western Ag industry is worth compared to the steel industry because neither libs or cons even mention it when in power ?

Comment

Here is what I don't understand about this steel nonsense.

If trump wants the steel industry to move back to the states....local state and federal money will be needed to bring them to the states.

Moving equipment is easy but the infrastructure to run a steel mill is large.

Evraz in Regina essentially uses the equivalent of one power plant in Saskatchewan to run a meltshop.

Proof...think of your 220 stick welder ....and imagine 3 rods 24 inches in diameter boring into 25 tonnes of shredded scrap steel the size of cultivator shovels that gets melted down to a liquid in about 5 minutes. Think of the power it takes.

Trump should just leave the steel industry out of his thought process ...some things are better left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Yep cause we need to pay North American price just like fert, anything else would just be unfair. Maybe a revenue neutral tax pay more in the west to give aid to the steel companies in the east. I bet somebody already has the proposal on their desk!

Comment

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/03/02/unhappy-canada-vows-retaliation-for-steel-tariffs-nafta-steel-tariffs-and-an-introduction-to-liu-zhongtian/

Seems there are some elitist Chinese that are using Canada and Mexico to gain entry into US bypassing US tarrifs on Chinese subsidized products. I don't blame Trump 1 bit. We only have 2 iron ore miners both in Quebec. Who gives a shit?

Comment

What Trump is doing should have been done 20 years ago. Though China has a large cheap labour pool the balance of trade worldwide has shifted so far their way it is unsustainable in the long term. Eventually wages will have to reflect a wealthier economy and their advantage will erode. America and Canada will be over a barrel having no means to manufacture. China is a communist state with a quasi capitalist/central planning system. We don’t know what China’s true intentions are other than being vertically integrated around the world to attain a secure and cheap supply of raw materials. They do sneaky shit all the time. Not to mention their territorial ambitions. This Taiwan thing could go red anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Here is what I don't understand about this steel nonsense.

If trump wants the steel industry to move back to the states....local state and federal money will be needed to bring them to the states.

Moving equipment is easy but the infrastructure to run a steel mill is large.

Evraz in Regina essentially uses the equivalent of one power plant in Saskatchewan to run a meltshop.

Proof...think of your 220 stick welder ....and imagine 3 rods 24 inches in diameter boring into 25 tonnes of shredded scrap steel the size of cultivator shovels that gets melted down to a liquid in about 5 minutes. Think of the power it takes.

Trump should just leave the steel industry out of his thought process ...some things are better left alone.
                Less to do with a steel problem - more about running distraction. Son-in-Law stripped of his security clearance, 4th communication director quit, daughter being investigated by the FBI. Captain Chaos just opens his mouth and lets go something outrageous even his staff and advisors don't know what he is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  .....Captain Chaos just opens his mouth and lets go something outrageous even his staff and advisors don't know what he is doing.
                  Yes. Yes, grassfarmer, you are correct.

But did you bump your head 0r what caused you to see the light about sock boy?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    I don't know what the steel industry in Canada is worth but in 2016 Canada shipped $5.87 billion of steel to the U.S. and interestingly the U.S. shipped $5.96 billion to Canada. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out a retaliatory tariff in this case! Pea exports to India I see quoted around $500 million - so in $ terms steel exports are 11 times more important to Canada than peas.
                    So Canada is a net 0 on steel. Easy fix Make Canada great again by keeping Canadian Steel at home. Too bad we dont have rail capacity to ship it east to west.

Pretty hard for canada to eat all the peas we grow.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...