• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask crop insurance isnt insurance. It's a tax.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiseguy
    Any system is better than sask crop insurance !

sask crop insurance can pretend all they want there only there to take your premium of 20 an acre !

Don't be fooled by their advertised increased coverage levels !

They 've Increased the price to increase the coverage level to increase the premium !

Thanks a billion !
    Regarding Crop Insurance, not everyone is as disadvantaged as me and face those high canola premiums at 80% coverage.

Tomorrow we have an appointment. I think I might have my mind made up already. Ag Stab is better than it was and some "self insurance" is probably enough of a cushion for now. This is the first year we took a good hard look at it in almost for ever.

Does anyone in crop insurance buy big hail coverage too? Crop Ins. is farm averaging(per crop type)where hail Ins. is field specific
    Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 21, 2018, 21:08.

Comment

Dropped hail insurance years ago. Low hail area. We put up a new shed or bins whenever we have enough saved up. Might buy some if it happens a bunch of canola fields line up east-west but our land is more north south oriented so that helps

Buy crop insurance coverage level based on soil moisture reserves. Might bump canola to 80 this year.

Comment

What's your hail rates 101, 2.4 & 4.0% full coverage here in the Ghetto. Less if you(can) apply a 10 or 25% straight or disappearing deductible.

Our slum is more north south oriented too.

Comment

I really don't even know. Checked one company online and it said 2.5% for wheat, 3.25% for canola and 5% for peas

Comment

........forgot, yes those were base rates for 1X crops. 1.3X canola. 2X peas.

Comment

Got my proposal... If you buy hail insurance in my area (6-7%) for peas, red lentils, or durum, its not all that much extra at least at 70% coverage to get crop insurance with the hail rider. In the case of peas, $160 of hail insurance would cost $14.42, but $160 of crop insurance + the hail rider is $14.14. Figure that one out.

I've never taken the program, so have only area averages to go on. Some of the numbers are brutal. CWSP wheat at 80% covers you for a whopping $98!

Long story short as far as I'm concerned, for all the crops except durum, premiums are high as a % of coverage. And for cereals the best I can do is insure a loss

Comment

Why didn't someone bring up that Unseeded Acreage and it's premium wasn't an option! I learned that today.

WISEGUY, now that's a tax.
                Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 22, 2018, 12:22.

Comment

so what is their stand on the canola on canola rotation?

Comment

Investors who rent it out sure like canola on canola

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      Why didn't someone bring up that Unseeded Acreage and it's premium wasn't an option! I learned that today.

WISEGUY, now that's a tax.
                      With all the snow and cold weather now it’s likely a good thing to have anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                        Don't be fooled with the unseeded acreage premium and claims !

sask crop insurance don't pay !

Thousands and thousands of acres and producers denied coverage from the flood years !
                        Interesting.
                        Do you know what excuses Crop Insurance gave farmers for not covering them in flood years?

Comment

Some justification for policy on wet acres.
                          Own farm has areas that were unseeded last ten years.
                          Were seeded most years in 1930s and 80s.
                          Hit and miss for more normal years.

Comment

Large green lentil premium, 80% coverage, base price(only 28 cents/lb) 0% premium discount = $36.20/a.c.

$24.99 for 70%

Our farm is not flood prone and the Unseeded Acreage coverage with it's 5% acreage deductible means on a 155 acre field, 7.75 acres would have to flood before we could collect on the next flooded acre on that field.....for us that "rider" needs to be optional.

Our analysis has shown our yeilds usually come in near or at 100+% of area averages......
                            Flax 1.31X
                            Peas 1.27X
                            Yellow Mustard 1.36X
                            Small Green Lentils 1.24X

The canola and wheat are only marginally higher, 1.01X and 1.04X respectively.

There has been the ODD single crop wreck....one crop type in the rotation in any given year.

Even last year's poorer yield results wouldn't have put us in claim position......or barely anything worth talking about.
                            Last edited by farmaholic; Mar 27, 2018, 20:23.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              http://www.saskcropinsurance.com/agristability/
                              http://www.saskcropinsurance.com/agristability/

WISEGUY IS RIGHT, THEY DROPPED THE ELIGIBLE EXPENSE MARGIN LIMIT CALCULATION USED TO TRIGGER PROGRAM BENEFITS. (or should I say prevent triggering a payment!!!!!)

THIS IS A POSITIVE MOVE, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP WISEGUY.

Edit......, if it wasn't for the average eligible expense margin limit used to trigger a payment instead of 70% of the Olympic average of the previous 5 years margin calculation I would have been in a claim position of over $54K in the 2014 program year because of some real healthy reference margins in the precious five years. 😠

The Olympic Margin is immacurate because it throws out your highest and lowest year. Actual margins should be used to be totally fair.

Comment

Isn't the reference margin only 70% of the Olympic average going forward like it used to be. Still better than the eligible expenses margin trigger. Lookin on the bright side.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...