• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet on the CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    So were a lot of people apparently.
    Well apparently I need to proof read my posts. Was supposed to say "still happier WITHOUT the CWB". Thanks for pointing out my error grassfarmer!

Comment

I'm betting they shredded it all because most of their customers for many years were state to state deals with shit-hole countries where everyone knows nothing happens without big kickbacks.

Comment

So were a lot of people apparently.
        Lol , I need to find a fourth stormtrooper to add to the photo beating the dead horse .. might be hard to find lol

Comment

Actually if you reinstated your single desk would be a godsend for other exporting countries one less competitor to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
            Actually if you reinstated your single desk would be a godsend for other exporting countries one less competitor to worry about
            So can you explain why the US launched trade challenges in the teens of times against Canada when the CWB was operating and never since? Logic would suggest they viewed Canada as a trade threat back then but don't any longer.

Comment

So can you explain why the US launched trade challenges in the teens of times against Canada when the CWB was operating and never since? Logic would suggest they viewed Canada as a trade threat back then but don't any longer.
              they were made with the cwb because the cwb kept under cutting the us on price

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                they were made with the cwb because the cwb kept under cutting the us on price
                No, they were made because the US claimed it was a system for Government subsidy which time and again courts ruled it was not - it was a producer marketing body.

Comment

No talking then grass talking now.
                  There was no black sea/russia as global force back then, things have changed 180 degrees.
                  Single desk in todays "free" trade wouldnt and logically cannot survive,

The days of single origin imports to a country are long gone.

Our single desk had exclusive market powers almost, to indonesia and to a lesser degree south east asian noodle wheat market now they dont give a stuff get it from were ever.

If our single desk was operating now we would have a mountain of carryover of unsold wheat. Cost of running the single desk would make it just to uncompetitive in 2018.

Export traders like to make $30/40 per tonne usually do occasionally they lose. Markets collapsed in i think 2014 cost traders around $50 per tonne in South australia that year.
                  Domestic traders $15 to $20 target profit.
                  Currently there profit margin last few weeks is as low as $5 per tonne. Farmers not selling on farm stocks bids have risen endusers not paying anymore hence $5.

Heaps of grain in our storage system or elevators unsold but again traders do it tough at moment glencore charge $15 to get it out of the system domestically they have to factor it in.

Personally i wouldnt like to be a trader. Smart traders do back to back trades no risk but need to willing parties for that.

Comment

Lower prices and one sided contracts guaranteed by the government. Yep a real subsidy. Laughable. The wicked witch is dead. Hallelujah

Comment

Go back to the earliest available wienerville pages from '99. Some things never change.
                      See how a dictatorship plants irrevocable memories and emotions?
                      Still gonna call crap when I see it even if I didn't go to university and don't bother to write at the thesis level.
                      0 fks given.

Comment

Arguing with you lot is like arguing with creationists. You believe what you believe, evidence be damned. [ And before you get all exited and say it's me that doesn't believe evidence, double check to see that the 'evidence' you cite actually represents the difference made by the CWB, not just changes in world markets.]

Comment

Hamloc, you missed the point so hard it had to be on purpose. The price of wheat in the years you mentioned was weak or worse but you were still paid for protein. In '12-'13, the first year without the CWB, the protein spread was almost GONE. The price was decent because of a tremendous shortage in the U.S. but you could have sold 14.5% as feed and it would not have mattered. Tracking historical protein spreads with the CWB, we should have got at least $40/t more.

Comment

shtferbrains, shredded yes, but by the same guy that shredded those science libraries. Only this time Ritz didn't even try to say he saved anything digitally. Or save any of the history of the enterprise.

Comment

Protein spreads. Notice the bad old days in 06/07 and 07/08. The trend is hard to ignore too
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	historical cwb protein spreads.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	766257

Comment

The CWB was proven a fair trader more than a dozen times in U.S. courts. A five year survey done not long before the CWB was murdered showed that Canadian wheat priced higher than U.S. wheat in American mills 59/60 months. The only time the CWB was subsidized by the taxpayer was once in 1935. The CWB was able to use its' reputation for quality to differentially price into different markets, and to make customers want 'Canadian' brand wheat. To say the CWB wouldn't work today because nobody cares where the grain is from because the CWB isn't there to make a difference is circular reasoning.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...