• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bet on the CWB

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let it go 🤡, let it go ...

Comment

I think captain obvious's numbers for final board payments are wrong. You always had to deduct basis from board prices. In my case, that was $57/tonne.
      If memory serves, the first year without the board, the elevator prices had a positive basis. We sold a lot of #2 14.5 protein wheat for $8/ bushel or more.

Comment

good times!

https://www.agriville.com/threads/24844-rumour

Comment

Back in CWB days did they offer cash prices? As well as pools?

If you still had CWB would your traffic jam with transport/rail cars be the same?

Comment

My name is not Kyle.

Comment

kryger, my prices were straight from the CWB, or what was left of it, well after 2012 from which I deducted freight and elev for my area. One must be careful when talking about basis as it is measured in U.S. dollars and reported in Canadian. The exchange rate makes the numbers worthless.

Comment

malleefarmer, all grain went through the single desk but you could contract with the CWB to be paid at the spot price, or futures, or whatever. The CWB hedged itself and didn't care how you wanted to play the system. If I recall in the '11-'12 year farmers that played the system on their own and beat the pool made about $14 million. Those that were beaten by the pool lost $169 million.[ The numbers might be off but the ratio is close].
                The CWB had the same problems then as we do now with the railways. The difference is that they were a strong unified voice with the farmers best interests at heart and would start working on backlogs in November, not May of the next year. That and grain companies can now profit from slow trains, they could not before.

Comment

The bet is still open....anybody? .....anybody??? .....Beuller??? 101 said he would take it but I have seen no data from him. Maybe he is off doing research.

Comment

Data needed.
                    Numbers that have references that can be verified.
                    Have it all add up to 10 Billion.

Comment

Originally posted by CptnObvious View Post
                      jamesb, the CWB worked fairly well but it worked like a balloon. It was all or nothing. Once there is a hole in the balloon it doesn't work at all.
                      I was never involved in Farmers for Justice myself but I knew good honest people that were arrested, handcuffed and shackled by the Canadian Govt at the direction of the Canadian Wheat Board for exporting a bushel of wheat they grew themselves. It was unfathomable that this could occur.
                      A farmer should be able to sell what he grows to who they wish, at the price they agree to, on the day they agree to. For me wheat has become a true cash crop. I can move a volume of wheat and generate cash flow today that I never was able to do under the CWB. "orderly marketing" ya sounds good on one hand but if i want to sell most of my wheat before Christmas I can. Yes its every man for himself but IMO that is the way of the world and we are rewarded if we do a good job marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                        I was never involved in Farmers for Justice myself but I knew good honest people that were arrested, handcuffed and shackled by the Canadian Govt at the direction of the Canadian Wheat Board for exporting a bushel of wheat they grew themselves. It was unfathomable that this could occur.
                        A farmer should be able to sell what he grows to who they wish, at the price they agree to, on the day they agree to. For me wheat has become a true cash crop. I can move a volume of wheat and generate cash flow today that I never was able to do under the CWB. "orderly marketing" ya sounds good on one hand but if i want to sell most of my wheat before Christmas I can. Yes its every man for himself but IMO that is the way of the world and we are rewarded if we do a good job marketing.
                        YESS, and that is why we have WalMart, trade unions ,gov unions, because they all understand there is power in numbers but not as easy to steal, or take advantage of their neibor.

Comment

I'll take a bet.
                          A wheat acre weighted vote regarding the change.
                          Easy money.

Comment

101, the bet was you prove we are better off by $1 or more vs. I prove we have lost billions.
                            Pretty cheesy of you to demand I prove my case before you bet one nickel.
                            $.72b lost on the dissolution - no judge ever said the money wasn't gone
                            $.75b lost on protein compared to a really bad year - my calculations based on StatsCan and CWB records
                            $6b lost to excess basis in 2 years - bulletproof report by Gray
                            $1b/yr( approx.) in the last 3 years in basis over the normal $75/t (port price - street price) =
                            $10.5 billion

Comment

jamesb, you guys choose to forget all the pricing options under the CWB. We could do all the same stuff then, the difference is now we get a smaller percentage of the port price.
                              If you can sell all your wheat before Christmas you must be selling at less than street price or you have a thing going on with your elevator agent. I was still trying to clear November contracts on Feb. 1.

Comment

blackpowder, go back and see what the bet actually was. Then try that again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...