• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDR View Post
    Yes Conlon is a big seed, can weigh super heavy too. We use it when we get late seeding, had a wet chunk last year, seeded middle of June and was still ready same time as mid may seeded other varieties. Yields a bit less but early maturity is worth something.
    I grow cowboy mostly for forage but combining is a bloody waste if you’re going for more than seed. The grain guys swear by Copeland around here. I’m looking at changing to a better grain yielder and want a decent disease package more than anything as I don’t treat or in crop fungicide. As well, early maturing barley can get you going earlier. So with Conlon is the yield difference for you compared to others a substantial amount or within a few bushels? Austenson looks alright but these late barley varieties you end up starting on wheat, move to canola, and mop up on barley and oats, and barley yield is no better.

Comment

Crop Insurance stats
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop Ins Barley yields 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	766240
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Crop Insurance Barley yields 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	766241

Comment

Southern Alberta feed market is quite firm right now. Rail transportation problems appears to have slowed corn shipments into feedlot alley. Also, road ban season lies straight ahead. This may be a solid feed barley cash pricing opportunity for growers . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
          I grow cowboy mostly for forage but combining is a bloody waste if you’re going for more than seed. The grain guys swear by Copeland around here. I’m looking at changing to a better grain yielder and want a decent disease package more than anything as I don’t treat or in crop fungicide. As well, early maturing barley can get you going earlier. So with Conlon is the yield difference for you compared to others a substantial amount or within a few bushels? Austenson looks alright but these late barley varieties you end up starting on wheat, move to canola, and mop up on barley and oats, and barley yield is no better.
          Last year our Copeland did right around 100 and the Conlon about 95. Same fert, likely better moisture on the conlon land though. 3 times the straw on Copeland depending if that's good or bad for your situation. Austenson is shorter season than Copeland, Conlon about the earliest, was one called Lacey that was early too that I thought was good but seems to have disappeared.

Comment

I grew austonson 3 yrs and had an awful time with the awns they would completely plug off the strawwalkers about every 3 hopper fulls, I run a conventional combine rotary may be better ??

Comment

Last year our Copeland did right around 100 and the Conlon about 95. Same fert, likely better moisture on the conlon land though. 3 times the straw on Copeland depending if that's good or bad for your situation. Austenson is shorter season than Copeland, Conlon about the earliest, was one called Lacey that was early too that I thought was good but seems to have disappeared.
              Now where is there any Conlon in nw Saskatchewan? Everything but it seems.

Comment

$4.50 feed barley. Did it surpass the Lotto Malt òdds

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                  Now where is there any Conlon in nw Saskatchewan? Everything but it seems.
                  I've never tried Conlon, but know some who really like it. According to AFSC, it is one of the lowest yeilding feed barleys in Alberta, but still had 13,000 acres in 2016, so someone is still growing it.

Comment

That $4.50 bid was SE Sask....not feedlot alley Alta....what's it there?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      That $4.50 bid was SE Sask....not feedlot alley Alta....what's it there?
                      I've heard up to $5 delivered. Richardson in Olds was up to 4.83 may for a few days but has dropped a bit. Driven by export interest and also logistics on corn isn't panning out for feedlot alley. Last year $3.25 was hard to find. Don't feel sorry for the feeders one bit, they turned their backs against barley growers last year in favour of high vomi wheat and this year on imported corn so they wound up with less acres and increasing prices. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Comment

Don't feel sorry for the feeders one bit, they turned their backs against barley growers last year in favour of high vomi wheat and this year on imported corn so they wound up with less acres and increasing prices. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!
                        I have to agree with you. As a cattle farmer and grain farmer, plus we used to background calves, I try to stand up for feedlots, but they backed themselves into this corner. I don't mind at all taking advantage of the situation now. Hadn't sold any 2017 till now, not much 2016, and still had some 2015 barley, my patience is being rewarded now. There were so many opportunities to lock in cheap barley in recent years, and the writing was on the wall for dropping acres, no excuses.

Comment

Amisk is a good variety in areas that can do 6 row barley. Oreana is new 2 row barely with really short straw. Otherwise would choose Austenson.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                            Amisk is a good variety in areas that can do 6 row barley. Oreana is new 2 row barely with really short straw. Otherwise would choose Austenson.
                            Tried Amisk, as a replacement for Vivar. 90% hail made the test inconclusive, but it was concluded that it was ~90% flat even before the hail, so that isn't a positive. Would probably try it again, looked like a massive yield.

Comment

anyone know of anyone in the northeast with austinson?

Comment

Have also grown Conlon here too. Very early variety as others have mentioned. Yield was only slighly less. Fat, short, heavy kernels. Smooth awned as well which made it less itchy, and supposedly more palatable for feeder cattle. Short straw with no lodging problems.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...