• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poplar trees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=AlbertaFarmer5;370964]While we are in the process of commercializing my worst weed, why stop at poplars, why not find a market for thistles too?[/QUOTE

1.5litres/acre glyphosate in September will solve thistle problems. Pre harvest in wheat. Plant 2 crops RR canola, spray 2 times in crop then spray in the fall after harvest . Goodbye thistles.

Comment

[QUOTE=hobbyfrmr;371047]
      Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      While we are in the process of commercializing my worst weed, why stop at poplars, why not find a market for thistles too?[/QUOTE

1.5litres/acre glyphosate in September will solve thistle problems. Pre harvest in wheat. Plant 2 crops RR canola, spray 2 times in crop then spray in the fall after harvest . Goodbye thistles.
      This is like me encouraging organic producion. Good to know we're in each other's corner. 🤓

Comment

[QUOTE=farmaholic;371049]
        Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post

This is like me encouraging organic producion. Good to know we're in each other's corner. 🤓
        Sorry,I didnt think about it. Its just easier with chemicals.
        Tillage is more difficult to manage thistle.

Comment

A litre an acre of gly and lontrel. Aka eclipse iii

Works way better on thistle than just gly

Comment

Thanks to poplars,

I can spray any of my fields, anytime, regardless of wind. Never drift issues.

I eat moose and elk meat.

The fireplace gets fed.

My secret get away stays secret.

My kids have land as it was in settlers days to explore and enjoy.

We feel zero wind in our yard, home heat is cheaper than a yard with raging winds.

Lots of benefits to not shaving every stick down.

For me at least. But I am different, I have no qualms in saying it. I love our trees. I guess if there was no more to life than money and windy open spaces, I too would do as the neighbors do, and clear it all. Then go beg someone like me for a place to hunt, scream at the neighbors for drift, burn no wood, and let the wind howl through our yard.

For me, the benefits are far greater than the minimal loss near the tree line. Not for everyone though, and I get that. Sort of. Lol

Comment

Have about 40 acres of mixed hardwood and softwood trees on home 1/4. Been here since my great grandfather was here. Mentally deficient I know. Always thought I lived in the deep woods as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

For me, the benefits are far greater than the minimal loss near the tree line. Not for everyone though, and I get that. Sort of. Lol
                If they could stick with minimal loss near the tree line" I'd be OK with that. This year it neglected to rain after early June. Still grew some exceptional crops, but there was basically nothing within 20 feet and had to get 50 feet away before there was even decent crop. That really adds up around the perimeter of a field. On a perfect square quarter section, that would be 6 acres of 90% loss, and another 6 acres of 50% loss, at todays prices with canola or wheat yields, that is ~$5000 loss. Now add in trees on cross fences, or around sloughs, yards etc. I can buy a lot of meat and natural gas for that price.

Comment

When my great great grandfather and his sons settled this country there wasn’t a single tree. They had to travel 10 miles to the river for wood. Prairie fires were rampant and there are still signs of one furrow fire breaks to this day. Once fires were brought under control by cultivation the trees pretty much took over. It’s funny but this farm has probably brushed a 1000 acres over the years. Now with zero tillage the pot hole sloughs spread out unless you disk the edges religiously. I don’t mind leaving bush as long as you can manage the spread but they sure can suck up water. Sometimes those potholes are best left alone as the trees suck up excess water but provide a water source for the cows. Aside from the 2002 drought we’ve never run out of water.

Comment

Interesting for me to read all the different comments; points of view. Pars

Comment

Tried to plant trees in my yard, the queens vermin eat faster than they grow.

Comment

Save a tree shoot a beaver, maybe two if its a slow day.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                          Save a tree shoot a beaver, maybe two if its a slow day.
                          Seen a tv program about Patagonia. The HBC thought it a marvellous idea to introduce those vermin there so they could have a year round supply of pelts. Turned out the conditions weren’t just right the pelts sucked but they have laid waste to the trees in a big way.

Comment

The comments about poplar being a weed are amusing. Through large parts of what is farmed in AB and SK, balsam poplar and aspen poplar were the dominant tree species before it was all cleared. We are the weed, not them.

I get it though. They're damn annoying if a guy has no use for them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...