• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tsunami of Black Sea Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On any given day i load my freight companies b double of it goes to my local elevators 15 to 28kms away depending which farm.

Tested graded at site wheat could go one of six grades depending on mostly protein but also grain weight etc.
    Barley Simpler malt 1 malt2 malt3 or feed 1 feed2 or in years of low test weight or weed issues feed3

Canola 1 grade canola1

I can one take cash prices on the blackboard tell carrier take best price or pool the grain the old way which nobody does nowadays cash is king.

Two warehouse the grain leave it unsold and check phone texts for better prices not all buyers are on the blackboard.

Three still leave it in warehouse unsold and watch the market no cost for first 8 weeks covered by delivery fees and charges.

Four leave it in warehouse for longer and pay storage fees think 2.50 per month after first 8 weeks

Five disclose unsold tonnages and grades to buyers and let them chase you, it a option when warehousing. Some farmer prefer not to disclose buy buyer still know total tonnes of each unsold at silos but not individual holders of the grain.

Six put warehoused grain on electronic tender boards trades 24/7

So basically we can sell grain in many ways.

Elevator A B and C class sites

A is port site only farmer i think within 60km can deliver to port direct unless buyers call for direct deliveries.
    B are strategic sites which take grain locally and from mother sites have rail access
    C sites are up country no rail and once are full the grain is either shifted to a b class site and reopened when space is made or closed for harvest.

Our local elvator employs up to 150 people during harvest and i think 30 during off peak.

You guys havent got these pleasures find it hard to comprehend you can have grain on hand and no bids no offer.

Think the furtherest cart to port in south australia is around 400 maybe 450 kms. Myself if i go direct to port between 150 and 160 kms.

Starting to think it aint that bad here except shitty hot weather

PS all the silos were builty originally with farmers money a levy on every tonne produced not sure of start but would say in 70s some time. Was a farmer owned and controlled co-op until abb/vitterra/glencore took it over in that order must have been nearly 17 18 years ago now. Hindsight should have stayed in farmers hands

Comment

Have a lot of low pro wheat this year too. I’m keeping it in the bin till next crop year unless something crazy happens. Get a normal pro year in western Canada and the spreads will disappear.... my plan anyway. I realize not everyone can cashflow that, but if you can I think you will be money ahead. And yes 5.75 feed mill bids in southern mb compared to 5.35-40 ish for 12 pro 1 at line companies.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        I think the "SS HYPE" is about to set sail....through a mine feild on a collision course with an iceberg.
        That sounds fairly extreme. 😂
        It sure will be interesting to see how land prices are affected if interest rates gain another 1+ %.....level off, decrease or remain on steady increase??

(Heard some recent numbers for a sale of 10 quarters north of Moose Jaw.....wow if true.)

Comment

Just a question. Posted earlier that 20% of grain went to Churhill. I thought it was closed now, and even the track was washed out.

So how much heads south.

Are we trying to push even more thru Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampsguy View Post
            Just a question. Posted earlier that 20% of grain went to Churhill. I thought it was closed now, and even the track was washed out.

So how much heads south.

Are we trying to push even more thru Vancouver.
            I would imagine so. G3 is building a new port facility I believe, and Richardson just underwent a massive expansion. Trouble is always, how do we get it there? Someone has to haul it! Lots of guys have latent contracts, with most guys saying elevators are telling them rail cars just aren't being delivered... on farm storage is plugged, inland terminals are plugged, are ports sitting empty?

Mallee. That haul to port position is enviable. Hell I'm more than that distance away from feed markets, let alone inland terminals worth dealing with. Closest elevator, (forgetting the largely useless one 50km away) is 175km, and it's small with only a 55 car spot. Nearest 110+ car spots are all 200km+ away.

Comment

What i and crestliner were talking about was grain going to thunder bay, when i was buying grain in the late 70s more grain went east than west thanks to the crow rate. I did sometimes load cars to churchill and god i hated cp boxcars.

Comment

As to pushing grain to vancouver prince rupert is a better port and half the haul to guys like me, but the graincos send to van because they own more terminal space there and i pay the freight, people like klause are right, our system is screwed.

Comment

Anyone buying into the carbon tax scam, etc, what is wasted by things like my grain going to van instead of pr is massive.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...