• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tsunami of Black Sea Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep voting NDP governments and watch your correction begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
      Not really.

We own 1 quarter. And equipment from the early/mid 2000s because we needed it.

We had half our crop out under snow last year. Not a dime from crop insurance.

This year grew a lot of low protein wheat that I'm sitting on and can't pay bills because nobody wants it.

Took till December to move the last of our off the combine peas.

Stupid wind storm took a half section of canola that's supposedly pod shatter resistant but isn't... Marketing in ag doesn't have to reflect truth.

Lost the only buyer of spring thrashed canola (Milligan).

But please, tell me how great ag is doing.
      My sincerest sympathies on being on the receiving end of mother natures wrath. Living on the fringe of the fringe as we do, I assume such catastrophes are the norm and not the exception, and spend accordingly. No insurance, risk reward still isn't worth it. Left a massive amount of canola on the ground thanks to wind this year(non pod shatter, but a new lastest and greatest variety, whereas the discontinued variety right beside had none). Left most of our barley and wheat out the winter before, spent a fortune to salvage the canola in November. Had 95% of our acres hailed out in 2014. Varying areas of drowned out crop almost every year, frost, snow, wind, wildlife, cows, dry, rain, hail. You're not the only one.

Comment

Been farming here for 5 years. In that time land prices have at least tripled.

Would have made way more money buying 15 quarters and leveraging ourselves to the hilt 5 yrs ago and selling that land today.

Hindsight is 20/20
        How does that compare to land appreciation in Argentina over the same period? Would it buy you more land there now than it would have 5 years ago? Your equipment has likely appreciated in CAD over that period. Is it not too late to move to Argentina?

My hindsight seems to work better than my foresight too, otherwise, I would have been your neighbor instead of staying here.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          How does that compare to land appreciation in Argentina over the same period? Would it buy you more land there now than it would have 5 years ago? Your equipment has likely appreciated in CAD over that period. Is it not too late to move to Argentina?

My hindsight seems to work better than my foresight too, otherwise, I would have been your neighbor instead of staying here.

Argentina had a land run up in the early 2000s to 2012 and they've been dropping until last year.... And leveled off.

Comment

Argentina had a land run up in the early 2000s to 2012 and they've been dropping until last year.... And leveled off.
            So you've been further ahead investing here in the interim, perhaps it's time to cash out and invest there? Sounds like their future is much rosier than ours.

Comment

Not really.

We own 1 quarter. And equipment from the early/mid 2000s because we needed it.

We had half our crop out under snow last year. Not a dime from crop insurance.

This year grew a lot of low protein wheat that I'm sitting on and can't pay bills because nobody wants it.

Took till December to move the last of our off the combine peas.

Stupid wind storm took a half section of canola that's supposedly pod shatter resistant but isn't... Marketing in ag doesn't have to reflect truth.

Lost the only buyer of spring thrashed canola (Milligan).

But please, tell me how great ag is doing.
              That is a run of bad luck Klause, I would search to manitoba for a market for that wheat there might be an elevator in the rrv that would blend it off and you have a truck to move it.

I assume that was a rr canola that shelled out? from what I hear Bayer has the only true pod shatter and maybe Pioneer has an ok one.

We went through the same thing here in early 2000s with frost and flooding 2 dollar feed wheat nobody wanted and 6 dollar frozen canola

Comment

Australia and Canada were and i think still are the worlds premium wheat producer quality speaking.

But seems world wants cheap food wheat is wheat werever and blend in 10 15% aussie canadian wheat and bang youve got your milling wheat.

Bad news on gluten etc wheat is poor for your health often wonder if that effects peoples spending habits.

Here our biggest export and closest in indonesia just over the back fence but russian black sea wheat lands there cheaper.

Some say single desk would have saved all this i doubt it wheat would still be getting "dumped"

So its a matter of attempting to lock in good prices when they occur

Comment

You cant blend off protein wheat to move it, not do able, if it was klause would of done it, he is young enough smart enough and must not be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                    You cant blend off protein wheat to move it, not do able, if it was klause would of done it, he is young enough smart enough and must not be happening.

Cant get rid of it... Averaged 11.5 on all our wheat last year. None of the exporters are interested because of other sources far cheaper.

Wish I had 14% like the past two years. Would make me very happy haha.

Also have a bunch of it contracted so can't sell it somewhere else... Contracts for Oct/Nov/Dec...

Southern MB, feedlot alley in AB or CHS would probably buy it for $5.50ish.

Comment

I have been told often i a stupid for not forward contracting grain i dont have, will go to my grave a durak and will not bother me a bit. I guess the phantom 7 dollar wheat will pass as well.

Comment

Again why i dont contract, low pro is less than feed but cant sell either way and no black and white discounts.

Comment

Cant get rid of it... Averaged 11.5 on all our wheat last year. None of the exporters are interested because of other sources far cheaper.

Wish I had 14% like the past two years. Would make me very happy haha.

Also have a bunch of it contracted so can't sell it somewhere else... Contracts for Oct/Nov/Dec...

Southern MB, feedlot alley in AB or CHS would probably buy it for $5.50ish.
                          and we have good px and no contracts . and still they don't want to pay much

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            and we have good px and no contracts . and still they don't want to pay much
                            If you can get it cleaned and it has good colour I know a market paying over $9 in your pocket for 14.5%

Comment

If you can get it cleaned and it has good colour I know a market paying over $9 in your pocket for 14.5%
                              I'd imagine that's only for CWRS? Have a december contract for AC Pasteur CWSP at Paterson that is hopefully going to start moving next week... Will likely have 3 loads left over. protein of the stuff i'll keep back will exceed 14.5

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                                I'd imagine that's only for CWRS? Have a december contract for AC Pasteur CWSP at Paterson that is hopefully going to start moving next week... Will likely have 3 loads left over. protein of the stuff i'll keep back will exceed 14.5
                                Phone ardent Mills. That wheat would be worth a very pretty penny there!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...