• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complexities of carbon sequestration.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassfarmer, one simple question, how is your farm going to become carbon neutral by 2030 or beyond?

For myself it is in my opinion not achievable. One thing I did this winter was buy a sectional control aircart. I hope this will improve my efficiency by 5% or a bit more. In all honesty this was done to cope with rising costs and to eliminate lodging where the drill overlaps not to reduce emissions. Now I could install a grid-tie solar system for 40K, this would help a bit. I could switch to swath grazing instead of putting up hay and silage, this would help a bit. But I have a son working his way into the operation so we are trying to expand and farm more land, I see the chances of my farm being carbon neutral by 2030 as being zero. I guess I could retire and then I could probably reduce my carbon footprint close to zero lol. But my hope is my son would still be farming and the farms carbon footprint would be the same.

Comment

By2030 the earth will be so cold due to this carbon tax that all crops will freeze and we ll starve off.

Comment

Grass that is a good question how will your farting cows get you to zero.

We now direct seed and use half the diesel as before. With work in fall work before seeding then harrow pack spray and harvest repeat.

We have changed all tractors to new DEF and Combines.

We roll bags and deliver.

We truck to nearest terminal thats 14 km away almost all the time.

Yes i drive out every day and after the folks are gone will probably spend my nights at the farm spring and summer.

Ill park the jet.

HA HAHAHAHAH

No ill still travel.

Basically all shops are newer and insulated up the zing sang and proper windows doors etc. All homes except the original is new tec. with energy efficient furnaces etc.

All grain drying is new systems.

So basically i think we did along to get our industry in line.

But again its a bullshit topic. Brought about by a one term Liberal party.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          Grassfarmer, one simple question, how is your farm going to become carbon neutral by 2030 or beyond? For myself it is in my opinion not achievable.
          That would concur with my opinion which I gave in my previous post.

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
          But again its a bullshit topic. Brought about by a one term Liberal party.
          Not at all - this is an ongoing global issue that would need addressing regardless who is in power in Canada as was evidenced by the Harper administrations actions. See quotes below from 2007.

"Preserving the environment is one of the top themes of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s federal budget. The plan includes $4.5 billion in spending to clean our air and water, reduce greenhouse gases and combat climate change, as well as protect our natural environment. "

"Environment Minister John Baird unveils new targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution across the Canadian economy. The Conservative plan proposes to give companies the possibility of meeting their targets by paying a $15 carbon tax per tonne of emissions that would go into a fund supporting the development of new technologies."

Canada's carbon tax - brought to you originally by the PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            That would concur with my opinion which I gave in my previous post.

Not at all - this is an ongoing global issue that would need addressing regardless who is in power in Canada as was evidenced by the Harper administrations actions. See quotes below from 2007.

"Preserving the environment is one of the top themes of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s federal budget. The plan includes $4.5 billion in spending to clean our air and water, reduce greenhouse gases and combat climate change, as well as protect our natural environment. "

"Environment Minister John Baird unveils new targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution across the Canadian economy. The Conservative plan proposes to give companies the possibility of meeting their targets by paying a $15 carbon tax per tonne of emissions that would go into a fund supporting the development of new technologies."

Canada's carbon tax - brought to you originally by the PCs.
            The “possibility “ of paying $15 a tonne is different than $50 .. lol

Comment

With the “possibility to go to $200

Comment

Which farmer representatives? As far as I've seen only the NFU and KAP here in MB are addressing the issue of climate change/mitigation/carbon sequestration. Most of the rest are ignoring the issue or claiming climate change doesn't exist which would appear to agree with the consensus of the minority of farmers who happen to post on Agriville. Can't have it both ways - can't cry out for money for helping address the problem and at the same time argue there is no problem!
                Even if you had an ounce of credibility, your post would be senseless. Your buffoonery makes it just rather sad.
                Last edited by burnt; Jan 27, 2018, 20:38.

Comment

Grassfarmer, I must have missed it, I have never seen anyone on here specifically lay out how they plan to become carbon neutral on their farm. Not trying to be confrontational just interested in how you intend to achieve it.

Furrow not only possible that it would go to $200 under Trudeau and Butts almost certain imo.

Comment

I don't think any of you realize...

None of our competitors have a abon tax. Rven Australia got rid of it.

We won't be farming in 2030 if the tax stays and goes to $200 a tonne.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      I don't think any of you realize...

None of our competitors have a abon tax. Rven Australia got rid of it.

We won't be farming in 2030 if the tax stays and goes to $200 a tonne.
                      Exactly!!!

Comment

Yeah, lets just keep whining that we aren't getting paid as much as we should for a service we don't even know if we are providing and ignore the facts and politics surrounding the issue. Always worked well in the past hasn't it?
                        You are sickening individual, HAVE TO STICK with f*ing eastern libtards on every issue no matter how bad it is for the west/farmers! Shame on you!

Comment

Saw the Map in Producer But look at the Date its based on...Since then we have producers Broadcasting Urea from October thru to Spring and this Urea gases off to Ammonia which is 300 Times Worse than Co2 as a greenhouse gas.

I like having fertilizer as a tool on our farm and have been using for 50 years, But I Fear we will lose this as the "broadcasters" put Us in a bad light
                          Maybe a Heavy Carbon tax should be Applied to "broadcasters "??

Comment

Grass , have you every heard of nitrogen stabilizers ?

Comment

There are a few inhibitors on the market, 2 for NH3 (1 not corrosive) and multiple for urea & liquid. Have used NZoneGL on our NH3 for 3 years now, see yield & protein bump with less lodging. 👍 Used Contain on urea when top dressing grass hay mixtures in spring, still need rain to take into soil, buys you more time for that moisture event to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                and therein lies the problem
                                Exactly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...