• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flu

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flu

Message from an acquaintance in Nebraska this morning

Rough day yesterday. One of my son's classmates from his kindergarden class died from influenza on Sunday. A beautiful little 5 year old girl. My son was really close to her and her twin brother. Came from a nice farming family in the area. Never knew it was so hard to explain death to a 6 year old.

Seems the flu is causing pneumonia in children and elderly. It's H3N2 and the shot isn't working. Any breathing issues should seek an ER immediately. He's got a 6 yr old niece that they took in and she is still in hospital but they are saying 6 month recovery. The local nursing home here in SK, is custom fitting all the residents with masks. This could get nasty.

Very sad story.

Very unfortunate the shot didn’t hold off the H3N2 strain for the child. Hopefully the flu shots here will be effective against this strain.....supposed to be.
    We were told by a local health nurse that the flu was nastier than normal in Australia in their past flu season which can be a precursor to what happens in North America.

Comment

I am not an Anti-Vaxxer but I haven't opted to get a flu shot in my life "yet". Got to wonder if I should be, yet my Dr. never recommended that I should. I don't think I am high risk.... underlying illness that would make getting the flu hard for me to fight.

Live and stay healthy if you can.

Comment

[QUOTE=farmaholic;368230 I don't think I am high risk.... underlying illness that would make getting the flu hard for me to fight. Live and stay healthy if you can.[/QUOTE]

I thought that too Farma until a few years back - kids bring it home from school - lingering flu that I couldn't shake until finally I got pneumonia. That brings you down in a hurry no matter how strong you are. After a quick trip to emergency hooked up to an IV and on antibiotics it turned around. I've had the flu shot every year since and have never had a bad flu since. I can feel the challenge of the flu now when it comes around, but it seems like the vaccine suppresses the severity of the symptoms. I'm told over half the kids were absent from our school on Friday - shaping up to be a bad flu season in this area.

Comment

Wouldn't wish it on anyone... 10 days of relentless, excruciating pain. 4 of those days in hospital on morphine and liquids. Oddly it decided to attack my liver as well, so no traditional pain meds. A month later I finally feel normal. Had the flu shot for a good month and a half before getting sick. Doc said even if not fully effective it may have still moderated the infection. If what I had was a "moderated" version, I think the full meal deal might have put me 6ft under...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...