• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bucket's cheap milk

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t forget about the 8-900k dairy byproduct that ends up as beef. 58lbs per cap consumption 36mil pop 850lbs carcass approximately 2.5m head.

Comment

My view on supply management has always been that there are a lot of problems with it, but the price of milk is not one of them.

Milk is quite affordable and there is far less difference in price, compared to the U.S., than is generally made out to be. I have done real-time, in-store comparisons in the past that confirmed that. You can too, if you disagree.

The problems lie in stupidly, needlessly and unfairly limiting opportunity for both producers and processors.

In that way, there are likely hundreds of millions of dollars in lost business opportunities and an enormous lack of selection in products.

And there should be no value on quota.

But Canadians love when someone makes all their decisions for them and guarantees their well-being, you know?
      Last edited by burnt; Jan 12, 2018, 06:05.

Comment

there is something wrong , when quota gets that valuable .
        that being said .

Hamloc and alberta 5 , make a good point.

it is more about who reaps the rewards.
        with beef it is not the farmer.

like what happens when supply management goes.
        milk prices drop
        BSE is allowed in
        a lot of dairys go down the tube.

industry consolidation.
        one or 2 big milk co.s rule the roost.

the big corps pay the dairy's what ever they can get away with.

price of milk to consumer goes back up.
        market control , like beef

same $ s , just now going to a different place.

when things get too bad for the dairys .
        the govt. / taxpayer has to save them with programs like the
        United states does. cow buy backs , food programs etc.

the end result is supply management is a social program.
        where do you want the money?
        spread across the country , or with a few giant milk corporations.

Comment

I just was reading that milk was cheap in an area of the states. ..probably due to an regional oversupply. ...I have no idea why but this discussion got me thinking. ...

Why if milk is priced the way it is in Canada does it never go down....and why does Canada protect only one sector of agriculture to this degree...

Even the other day to a sold out crowd at the crop production show Lyle Stewart had to hand out money to prairieland exhibition .....government money for a sold out admission and exhibitor paid for show.....that's stupid....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...