• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to balance supply and demand

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to balance supply and demand

Farmers often talk about how we are the only group who do the opposite of what the price signal is telling us, and produce more when prices are cheap. |It occurred to me that oil producers, miners, big forestry companies, even most of the downstream livestock industry, have the following in common:

They cannot logistically, and do not, store a year or more of production.
    They rarely if ever produce a product that isn't already pre-sold.

Therefore, if they don't have the ability to pre sell it for a profit, or pre sell it at all, and no ability to store it, they won't produce it.

Contrast that with a farmer, many of us are in the grow it bin it sell it camp, hope marketing plays a big part. In spite of current and future prices that are telling us that the market is oversupplied, we will continue to seed a particular crop and store it for a year or even multiple years with the assumption that prices will eventually improve. Contributing to a large carryover in an already over supplied market, guaranteeing lower prices for years into the future. Obliterating all market signals which effectively tell other commodity producers to cut back.

The obvious, if completely impractical solution is for farmers to pre sell everything, and for farmers not to have any of their own storage. Solutions that work much better for commodities that are produced year around, as opposed to in one big lump, and not practical here where elevator capacity is woefully inadequate and distances completely impractical. However, even if there was no spot market, and we could only deliver what had been presold before seeding, I suspect the supply situation would get back into balance much quicker.

Certainly not advocating forcing farmers to do anything, and i know it is not workable in our industry, but we can't really blame our input suppliers for effectively responding to price signals and cutting back production in advance, and not stockpiling excess production to hang over the market, when we do the complete opposite.

Good points but I know guys that have presold 50 percent of their production and made the decision to store the rest....only to find they are selling 100 percent of their production come harvest within that same contracted amount....

The other industries mentioned have proven reserves and weather doesn't affect them in one or two days or 30 seconds for that matter....and they also live on government subsidies or flow thru share offerings or royalty deals....

Apples and oranges....
    Last edited by bucket; Jan 9, 2018, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Good points but I know guys that have presold 50 percent of their production and made the decision to store the rest....only to find they are selling 100 percent of their production come harvest within that same contracted amount....

The other industries mentioned have proven reserves and weather doesn't affect them in one or two days or 30 seconds for that matter....and they also live on government subsidies or flow thru share offerings or royalty deals....

Apples and oranges....
      Yes. Thanks for adding that, I meant to include that important factor. However, it does apply to otherindustries as well. Consider the Cameco Cigar Lake mine flood. They had production presold.

Comment

A bunch of endebted independent businessmen versus a few behemoth companies choking supply to control prices. Kinda different in my eyes

Comment

We need to be producing what consumers want and get out of the commodity game if we hope to have any control at all. Marketing meat in boxes has been an eye opener. I control the price, I control the buyers, and I control when my product is sold.

Comment

There is no shortage of uranium that was just shit engineering....don't forget the current set of mine shutdowns in that industry.

Comment

Most graincos focus on volume over margin now. Margin is still important but not as important as volume. Extra margins usually helps the overall aspect while volume gives elevators, buyers, merchant, and port a slice of the pie.

Choking supply would hurt them more than anything. Look at the investments at port. The bare mininum they are doing is improving how many and how fast they can unload cars.

Research pipeline and pool margins if your interested in learning more. I found it pretty interesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...