• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soybeans....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soybeans....

So who is going to continue to grow these?

Locally I haven't heard of many yields that would sound profitable.

Do you think the protein problem is a result of it being a relatively new crop without enough soil born rhizobia and maybe even the double inoculation isn't working properly? Or the growing season is actually too short? What about years where there is an early frost and the top third of the yield is shaved off by a fall frost? The plant obviously isn't physiologically mature and maybe the seeds that are set aren't either, resulting in green seeds and maybe a lack of protein in the first ones set.

Breeders may be able to shorten the maturity date by a bit at a time but ultimately do we have a long enough season to keep growing these things with decent results. And ultimately, drought tolerance is a huge factor where I farm, if they need that late growing season moisture at a time of year when you consider our true monsoon season, June, is over and any decent rain in July/August is purely the luck of the draw in the rain lottery.....

Your final point is the reason I don't see them as anything more than a huge gamble and not year after year profitable. They need moisture to fill at the exact same time most around here are harvesting dry barley and desiccating the weeds in wheat every year. We don't get reliable rains in August. Maybe they have a place as a hedge against actually getting those late rains and screwing barley and wheat quality. A very expensive hedge.

Comment

They are indeed a VERY expensive hedge. If I was filthy rich I'd likely put a small amount in every year, but after a staggering loss on 80ac last year I won't be trying them again. Historically mid July through the end of August is quite dry here. Great for lentils and durum. Not so great for soy.

Comment

The more the climate changes, the less the risk for growing an inexpensive crop like soybeans in SE Sk.

Indeterminate growth, and an extra month of frost free. Priceless!

Happy to hear that people are walking away from the least expensive crop there is to grow.

Comment

Hey Checking, tell that to the guys that got 14-18 bpa yields!!!!! If you had good yields, thank mother nature not your awesome farming ability!!

Comment

Did I say anything about farming ability, 4G? Jumpy today!!

Inexpensive crop only because R1? What money can you spend on it? Money even at 15-18 bpa.

Comment

Not even gonna enter the margin per acre short dick contest.
              Quite a few trial acres done here last year. Doubtfully many this coming year.
              Weather variability from year to year regarding May temps and August rain. Maturity. And for here, canola$ competition.
              Fun to grow but will not be a crop here for some time. Anyone here who says otherwise has no fixed costs.

Comment

Checking

I use R1 soybeans and my brother bought seed....yields about the same ....guess who is money ahead?

Same with every other commodity. ..not sure why buying new seed all the time pays?

Comment

They hate cold soil in spring and compaction. And salinity.

We have lots of all 3.

They need rain mid July to end of August while they flower and fill.

Their native environment is +35 and 39" of rainfall on acidic soil.

Seed at $120 an acre isn't that cheap. We grow peas for less.

After all that ours were west of Humboldt and they yielded 7.

That no fluff no fuss 7 bushels an acre.

We had 26 and 32 for averages before. Out here in sask.

When the leaves wilt August 1st from heat and no rain it is very bad.

Comment

75ac trial and they netted 7.496mT. Even with new math you cant make those numbers sexy.

Comment

My old math says 3.67 bpa....

That's a money maker...

Sheesh! !!!!!

About the same as mine overall. ...once you are underwater the results are the same....an extra bushel or 2 means SFA.
                      Last edited by bucket; Jan 8, 2018, 15:55.

Comment

Half the farm !

Half canola !

Seed should Kill any future farm plans and holidays.

Seed is so out of wack it’s not funny.

Might do 400 soy and 400 peas instead of 800 peas.

But the pencil just isn’t adding up looks like a bad loss on most.

Yea 67 wheat and

Canola at 60 looks real good

Good luck with that every year with no rain.

Comment

Not sure I would want to pencil in soybeans at sub 20 bpa to make money regardless of R1 or R2 patent varieties. Have not grown them and probably will not. Looking for good weather for barley harvest when you need rain for your soybeans. Not for me at the moment.

Comment

bucket et al, is it legal to buy R1's from a farmer neighbour who grew them, and plant and harvest the beans, considering you've never purchased any seed from Monsanto yourself?
                            can you replant the seed the following year if you purchased R1 seed from that neighbour?

Comment

R1s are off patent....

Or so I have been told....but don't kid yourself their are guys keeping the newer varieties....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...