• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caught My Eye

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught My Eye

The first news item that caught my eye this week was a tweet by Alberta's environment minister Shannon Phillips. "Need a resolution? @EnviroLeth Green challenge use reusable shopping bags, take shorter showers, unplug electrical devices, eliminate vehicle idling and eat less meat." Now as she back peddles she claims she didn't write it that she was away from her Twitter account at the time and that a staffer wrote it.

Second news item was on the CBC news sight, "Taxing meat could help offset environmental, health problems, activists say." This is the stance being promoted by the Farm Animal Investment Risk & Return (Fairr) initiative. "British activist group argues meat should join products like tobacco, sugar and carbon, which are often taxed because they are harmful to people's health and the environment."

Two different new items, one common theme. It is worth noting that on my favourite talk show on QR770 radio Calgary this week there was a representative from PETA also promoting a sin tax on meat. So it has begun, governments ever more hungry for revenue are always looking for something new to tax!! 😡

Generation Z won’t buy t-bone steaks, they can’t stand the thoughts of how or where it comes from with red oozing out onto the plate. There is a disconnect with reality.

But they will buy lots of meat products, they will feel so much better this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
      Generation Z won’t buy t-bone steaks, they can’t stand the thoughts of how or where it comes from with red oozing out onto the plate. There is a disconnect with reality.

But they will buy lots of meat products, they will feel so much better this way.
      The millenials are very concerned abot what they eat. I have had conversations of plant based diets, organic, no meat, intermittent fasting, ketogenic diet and how important it is to eat right........until you’re in a tractor 20 km from a store and didnt make yourself a lunch. Suddenly 2 boxes of chocolate chewy bars and 3 peaches is the best meal ever.
      They attitude is frustrating for sure.

Comment

Their attitude could be termed the last luxury of abundance or plenitude - spoiled pickiness.

The past 2 - 3 generations have had so much abundant choice on the store shelves for so long that it has led to complete ingratitude and isolation from the reality of the challenge of self-sustenance.

(As an aside, when Dad was a child in the early 1900's it was a real treat to get an orange on Christmas Day. So, one Christmas morning when he laid an orange beside our plates to illustrate his childhood experience, we thought he's lost his marbles-oranges were common now)

Someone called it the "illusion of permanence", thinking that because it has always been that way, it always will stay that way.

The West has become ripe for a major shock as a result, and these wiseacre millennials you describe might get more austerity than they bargain for in their supreme arrogance. It would seem like an ugly justice.
        Last edited by burnt; Jan 7, 2018, 11:31.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
          Their attitude could be termed the last luxury of abundance or plenitude - spoiled pickiness.

The past 2 - 3 generations have had so much abundant choice on the store shelves for so long that it has led to complete ingratitude and isolation from the reality of the challenge of self-sustenance.

(As an aside, when Dad was a child in the early 1900's it was a real treat to get an orange on Christmas Day. So, one Christmas morning when he laid an orange beside our plates to illustrate his childhood experience, we thought he's lost his marbles-oranges were common now)

Someone called it the "illusion of permanence", thinking that because it has always been that way, it always will stay that way.

The West has become ripe for a major shock as a result, and these wiseacre millennials you describe might get more austerity than they bargain for in their supreme arrogance. It would seem like an ugly justice.
          Taxing meat is another money grab to redistribute wealth. Many farmers and ranchers use marginally productive property for their livestock. Taxing them for being innovative to make a living is absurd on so many levels. That entire methane gas emissions is a weak excuse. How much carbon monoxide is emitted by airplane flights? How much ozone is damaged by sattelite and rocket launches?

I dont oppose to eating well and describing preferences that a person practices for themselves. I noticed that the talk is not the walk. Suddenly its the local store without enough selection. This warrants negotiating an “absolute must” trip to the city during farming prime time. Fair enough, I have to respect it. 3 days later its chewy bars and peaches or whatever is lying around in the farm truck. That is when I realize the new generation basically says whatever they have to in order to make things go in their favour. Right then, my respect dried up and left.
          Growing up, when I made a fuss about the food, it was taken away with the fact stated “you are just not hungry”.
          Food supply and personal attitudes are a big power play in homes, restaraunts, tribes, politics, countries. There was a mom at the lake that made 3 different meals for 3 fussy kids. My mother cared for us kids so well, at meal time she always made sure we had 2 choices in front of us. Take it, or leave it.
          Last edited by hobbyfrmr; Jan 7, 2018, 13:39.

Comment

The whole world needs a ww3 to kill off the stupid and rebuild.

Sad but I think it’s time.

Sorry to offend some but reality sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post

Sorry to offend some but reality sucks.
              That would definitely open some eyes but the stupid people in power never do military service

Comment

Agree Trudeau would run away

Comment

For that to happen history would have to repeat it self.

Hope it’s not nuclear, or they feel Ottawa is a better target than Regina.

Comment

They can have the sausage, I'll eat the cheap T-Bones. Umm - get the barbecue sauce.

Comment

For that to happen history would have to repeat it self.

Hope it’s not nuclear, or they feel Ottawa is a better target than Regina.
                      Agree. Conscripted vegans won't get very far on the battlefield eating tree bark and grass and waving a white flag. Likely end up going down due to 'friendly fire'.

Comment

I have a relate over in China advising on the building of feedlots.
                        They know hunger, we dont.
                        Facebook as an example is so full of crap we wouldnt vaccinate kids and our farms would look like American Gothic.
                        Perhaps someday... but for now the weak shall perish.

Comment

Sk3

Sorry to offend some but reality sucks. "

Just remember war isn't selective on who dies.

I'm sure Canadian families and vets of WW 1 and WW 2 wouldn't think their loved ones who gave their lives for this country were stupid, and wouldn't at all be offend by your post.

Comment

Ashamedly, during my tenure at the Slum of the Ghetto, we have dramatically moved away from food self sufficiency . Obviously the dependence on electrical power and home heating without wood or coal happened before I took over. BUT, I would know what to do to feed ourselves if I had too. I bet there would be few who could live the lifestyle of our rural grandparents....and our kids...yikes what would their fate be.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              Ashamedly, during my tenure at the Slum of the Ghetto, we have dramatically moved away from food self sufficiency . Obviously the dependence on electrical power and home heating without wood or coal happened before I took over. BUT, I would know what to do to feed ourselves if I had too. I bet there would be few who could live the lifestyle of our rural grandparents....and our kids...yikes what would their fate be.
                              You would know what to do to feed yourselves - under what circumstances?

I've put a bit of thought how long our household could survive in the event of a breakdown of "normal" - no electricity for an extended period, no refrigeration, no electronics which are required tor run anything and everything, including generators, etc.

And my conclusions are anything but reassuring, even though our family does a significant amount of preserves.

If a disruption of "normal" would happen in the heart of a Canadian winter, the survival rate of the radicals who are calling for the end of our way of life would be very, very poor.

And there's the irony, the very ones who purport to be environmental messiahs would likely be among the first to perish.
                              Last edited by burnt; Jan 8, 2018, 04:50.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...