• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drought is still on, But East Sask has changed, Snow north of valley.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drought is still on, But East Sask has changed, Snow north of valley.

Prairie Drought Persisting
    Western Canada has enjoyed an unusually mild and tranquil start to the winter but that hasn’t significantly improved soil moisture conditions, says a story from Syngenta.
    Essentially all the southern Prairies still remained abnormally dry as of Nov. 30, with the worst of the conditions – including designations of extreme and exceptional drought – focused on south-central Saskatchewan. Areas south of Calgary were also classified as being in severe drought as of the end of last month.
    Over the past 30 days, precipitation across the Prairies has only ranged from 40 to 60% of normal, with things particularly dry in Alberta (less than 40% of normal), right from Edmonton all the way down to the U.S. border.

Storm on the way.

drought doesn't matter anymore , Canada grew a record crop without rain according to statscan????

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      drought doesn't matter anymore , Canada grew a record crop without rain according to statscan????
      If DRIER in 2018 crop will be BIGGER??? Prices might, Na Russia/Brazil/Argentina/China/USA always have record crops....

Comment

This is a hopeful weather pattern!

Comment

What mild start to winter? Around here we have had 4 record cold nights in November. Winter started Oct 31 which is plenty early. Had plenty of snow, much of which has disappeared this past couple of weeks. After the late seeding and flooding of last spring, I was happy for the snow to leave. Would like to seed in May not June. High green seed canola tough and expensive to dry in December. Frosted wheat not much fun either.

Comment

We have winter north of valley but not enough for Good sledding

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
              What mild start to winter? Around here we have had 4 record cold nights in November. Winter started Oct 31 which is plenty early. Had plenty of snow, much of which has disappeared this past couple of weeks. After the late seeding and flooding of last spring, I was happy for the snow to leave. Would like to seed in May not June. High green seed canola tough and expensive to dry in December. Frosted wheat not much fun either.
              Hear, Hear!

We have plenty of snow to sled though. Been white since October here too. But it would be nice to have a seeding and harvest window like everyone else on the prairies seems to have for once again, rather than fighting June and November to get anything done. Looking forward to it!

Comment

In my location we are catagorized as a catagory 4 drought, pretty much the worst it can be. Very hard to plan for spring with these conditions.
                We need an old fashioned winter and a 3 inch rain in the spring, and still would t see water standing. I’ve been through wet years, but drought is far beyond worse.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                  In my location we are catagorized as a catagory 4 drought, pretty much the worst it can be. Very hard to plan for spring with these conditions.
                  We need an old fashioned winter and a 3 inch rain in the spring, and still would t see water standing. I’ve been through wet years, but drought is far beyond worse.
                  All relative. I had 4.6 bushel an acre canola because of wet, and then you have the ruts, getting stuck constantly, ZERO retained nutrients like you have for example. I would far rather harvest 4.6 canola in drought, than in slime. I also would question the last time a drought caused late, wet harvest, of 20% canola that you either take or leave over winter...

Comment

Ive lost 1/3 of my crop due to too wet. 0 bushls/acre ..... seed rotted, or crop drowned out. But, the rest seemed to be quite good, so ended up with an average crop. To dry or too wet can be a real bitch. We are usually too dry, but last few seem on the wet side. Every area has its challenges.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...