• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming to Canada ......

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to Canada ......

It fits in with the climate change agenda .... what say cattle producers here ?

so even the guys bypassing the marketing system, as grass had eluded to , will still have to pay ? what a crock of shit ? liberals hate farmers, it will come here also. and when the commies win in sask , they will buy into it, great tax grab . it won't stop until there is no food left to eat, and all the farmers are gone. and we are eating shit from china soaked in chemicals (i.e. china melamine milk scandal)

Comment

That's per year... And the farmer has to pay it.

Under all these new enviro taxes... farmers get hit 16 times harder than the general population...

Comment

BUT BUT BUT GRASS AND CHUCKY like to pay and say its all ok.

What a crock of F#$King Shit.

To all who voted for Trudeau your a real special kind of Stupid.

Comment

So is there an actual proposal by the Danish Government? I see lots of speculative articles going back 5 years talking about it but I have never seen any actual proposal.
          For sure animal emissions needs to be part of the conversation around mitigating climate change risk. Something to think about though is this "meat tax" would be just that - a tax on meat in an effort to gets consumers to reduce consumption. As such to have any effect the retail beef price would have to rise which would imply the tax being added at retail/consumer level. Taxing the rancher per head isn't going to increase the retail price of beef so there is no way it could work. From that point of view we are in a different boat to a grain farmer where the cost of fuel is what you are being taxed on to discourage use.

In general I think there is potential to improve health through taxing foods - meat to an extent, sugar to a greater extent and junk food is the low hanging fruit in this sphere. Imagine the cost savings in health care if we could steer the population towards a healthier diet and that could be funded if the tax taken on unhealthier choices is used to encourage healthier choices. That wouldn't mean airfreighting more vegetables in from Chile or Botswana but increasing use of home grown/Canadian produce where possible. If we really start thinking about this there are outcomes that would potentially improve the rural/farm economy in Canada.

Comment

Meanwhile...

[url=http://agrovoz.lavoz.com.ar/ganaderia/argentina-cierra-2017-con-record-en-el-consumo-de-carnes-118-kilos-por-habitante]Argentina breaks new record for 2017: Beef consumption at 118KG per inhabitant[/url].

And Canada is #9 in the world for cancer rates...
            Argentina is #46.

Just picking two countries I know well

Comment

well, i sure like my beef , hope they don't get that stupid here . but agree on local produce , canada could do so much more in this dept. . thats why its nice to be able to buy carrots in dec. grown right here in sask . and cuccumbers and tomatoes grown in alberta in the winter that taste awesome

Comment

This wouldnt suprise me as this would be right on par with liberal thinking. Just like our weather minister all excited about the world bank no longer lending for oil and gas purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                  Meanwhile...

[url=http://agrovoz.lavoz.com.ar/ganaderia/argentina-cierra-2017-con-record-en-el-consumo-de-carnes-118-kilos-por-habitante]Argentina breaks new record for 2017: Beef consumption at 118KG per inhabitant[/url].

And Canada is #9 in the world for cancer rates...
                  Argentina is #46.

Just picking two countries I know well
                  I know, that's a whole other conversation about what is a healthy lifestyle, grass-fed versus grain-fed, processed hi-carb foods versus simple nutrient dense ones and also environmental factors affecting cancer rates.

Comment

$110/head per cow that is 22cents lb/500 calf. Here in Canada that would virtually guarantee red ink 9yrs out of 10, great way to kill an industry!

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG View Post
                      $110/head per cow that is 22cents lb/500 calf. Here in Canada that would virtually guarantee red ink 9yrs out of 10, great way to kill an industry!
                      Hellooo, what did you think the purpose is?

grassant, keep sucking up to the bully, he'll be sure to spare you, maybe...

No fool like an old fool.

Comment

Still waiting to hear if this is an actual thing in Denmark or just speculation, regardless the price quoted bears no relevance to what might or might not ever happen in Canada.

Comment

$110 per cow-just dairy cows, the rest don't fart unless provoked. The world is cracking up.

Comment

Grass farmer this was dated 1st may 2017 so still just a proposal, once it passes in EU it will be a tsnami across western countries this "meat tax" geez gonna hurt low income earners cause you can be your bottom dollar beef producers will fight to have it across all meat not just beef, hence lessening impact on beef producers. And why not i guess. Were does it all stop slaughter police visiting my farm when we kill our own livestock for our own consumption....... A real hard one this one.

The Danish Council of Ethics is recommending that the country impose a tax on meat to fight global warming. The group says that its research finds cattle account for about 10% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Food production taken as a whole — which includes transportation, irrigation, fertilizers, and refrigeration — is responsible for nearly 30% of all emissions, the council says. The Council concluded that “climate change is an ethical problem.”

Danes are “ethically obliged” to change their eating habits, the statement added and claimed that it is “unproblematic” to cut out beef and still enjoy a healthy and nutritious diet. The proposed tax would apply initially to only to beef but the idea of a tax to promote a sustainable lifestyle could be extended to other meats and indeed all foods in coming years, with those having the greatest impact on climate change being taxed at the highest rates.

Comment

If breathing was optional they'd probably tax that too.

Hard to believe some of the posts.....the "luxury" of eating.....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...