• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a Carbon Tax work?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
    You guys are all missing the point. I don't want more taxes either but the majority of Canadians support some type of action on climate change (including the Conservative party that signed the accord forcing Canada to take action). So like it or not, a carbon tax is coming.

Now some on here believe that fake news, like SF# claiming it has failed in every other country that has tried it, will stop the tax. But anyone who spends 5 minutes on line realizes that such statements are untrue. All such fake news does is causes those making such claim to lose credibility and worse, it weakens any argument that farmers need to be exempted from a carbon tax.

Instead of whining about the tax, we need to be making a rational case for exemption of agriculture from the tax (or at least a reduction). By showing that we cannot pass on the cost of tax, that we compete in a global market where our two biggest competitors Russia and US do not have a tax, it is possible to sway public opinion. But by name calling, making false statements, saying we will not pay any carbon tax, and showing cartoons of Trudeau turn most urban voters off and make us all look like hicks.
    There is a lot of common sense in what you just wrote.

If every country in the world had a comparable carbon tax, so we aren't at a disadvantage then I'm all for it. Regardless of what they call it, or how misguided it's claimed purpose might be.

Comment

Yes if every one is on board then tax away but USA China and most of South America etc are all out so we’re not going to be able to compete with any one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Dml, go on env.gov.bc.ca. You will find in 2004 BC emitted 70500 kilo tonnes of C02. By 2008 this had dropped to 66300 kilo tonnes of C02. By 2014 this level had dropped to 64300 kilo tonnes. Carbon tax imposed in 2008. Greater drop between 2004 and 2008 no carbon tax. Now oil and gas extraction value in constant I believe 2016 dollars. Go on bcstats.gov.bc.ca. Total value $7.978 billion in 2008,by 2013 $3.228 billion, recovered to $5.013 billion by 2014. Highest price of oil in 2014. Looks to me like carbon tax hurt the oil industry in BC. Look at stats draw your own conclusions.
        Solid points.

I figured DML was cherry picking to show BC's carbon tax is working. Him, chucky and grass are just begging for a selfie carbon tax.

Comment

Just plain stupid to believe ANY CLAIMED numbers calculations of CO2, WORLD temperatures... absolutely NONE can be proven...weigh any CO2 lately...in TONNES???

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
            Just plain stupid to believe ANY CLAIMED numbers calculations of CO2, WORLD temperatures... absolutely NONE can be proven...weigh any CO2 lately...in TONNES???
            Yeah, let's just stop talking and thinking about anything - none of it can be proven, let's go back to the cave. This site is getting really pathetic.

Comment

Grass why is your side correct and our side is wrong explain.

Also what farmer would want to pay more taxes just asking

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                Dml, go on env.gov.bc.ca. You will find in 2004 BC emitted 70500 kilo tonnes of C02. By 2008 this had dropped to 66300 kilo tonnes of C02. By 2014 this level had dropped to 64300 kilo tonnes. Carbon tax imposed in 2008. Greater drop between 2004 and 2008 no carbon tax. Now oil and gas extraction value in constant I believe 2016 dollars. Go on bcstats.gov.bc.ca. Total value $7.978 billion in 2008,by 2013 $3.228 billion, recovered to $5.013 billion by 2014. Highest price of oil in 2014. Looks to me like carbon tax hurt the oil industry in BC. Look at stats draw your own conclusions.
                Sure, and no population growth or housing growth or any other growth that would use more carbon between 2008 and 2014 either right Hamloc. And if you forgot, we had a recession in 2009 that also impacted the oil industry. And are you actually claiming it is only the oil industry that contributes to CO2. So if the oil industry revenue was halved, why did BC economy keep growing? Talk about cherry picking data.

Comment

Just got my gas bill for nov for house heating natural gas carbon tax $2.22. I think even sask3 could afford that.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                    Just got my gas bill for nov for house heating natural gas carbon tax $2.22. I think even sask3 could afford that.
                    And did you purposely use less gas because of the tax and do your part to clean the environment. Bet you’re afraid to answer truthfully.

Comment

Carbon emissions are going up worldwide for the foreseeable future no matter what. It is baked in.
                      About 200 coal fired plants in the world operating or being built with >2000MW rating. One in Canada. None is SK.
                      We're in trouble

Comment

Horse thats nice its about the same as I would pay for mix with a 2 later bottle of coke. But what did you really do to help the environment.

A house in Alberta requires heat to keep you warm at night from freezing so what did you get for your 2.22.

Ah i can answer it nothing but the government got 2.22 to make stupid people feel like they are doing something to help the environment.

You didn't turn your thermostat down to save on the 2.22 because maybe you just didn't want to freeze at night. Were not Hawaii where all i have to do is open the windows at night to first cool it off then close so i sleep nice.

Try that in Shit hole Canada.

So again like the above poster enlighten us on what you actually got or did for the 2.22.

Again the Alberta and Fed Gov get some nice cash but what did you actually get and do to help the environment.

NOTHING>

Comment

You can't win against stupid Horse. Carbon tax is going to ruin everyone and we can't afford it - except it's at such a low price that it's not going to work to help fight climate change which doesn't exist anyway - and we know that because no-one can measure anything anyway!

Comment

ok grass since your such a genius in your own mind,

What has Horses 2.22 actually done for the environment.

Please explain what it has done.

He lives in Alberta did he shut his heating off for the month that would save him the 2.22 but unfortunately he would be very dead if not frozen his wife would kill him for being so f#$Kiong stupid.

Second what did the 2.22 actually give the governments of canada.

AH money.

So again you can challenge and tell us all kinds of bullshit but what did he get or do to help the environment handing over 2.22 to the government.

High im here from the government to help you.

yea that always works.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                              its all the charges you can't see ,like on the delivery of your food, exporting your farm produce , in fact everything that gets moved by truck , train ,or by you. its on your farm imports . everything you buy will be adjusted up to account for your useless tax . and then when we expire there will be carbon tax on the fuel to finish the job . but really , did you turn the heat down because of carbon tax ? or is it just more money so libtards can send 5 or 600 useless assholes to the next paris accord or wherever instead of 350????

Comment

For the average Joe it won't matter ....will be factored into the CPI and wages will increase....

Where it gets nauseating is that that extra 2.22 gets put on someone else for everything you buy.....we have no one to pass those costs onto....

Everyone or every company has the ability to pass costs on to the consumer....

Even grain companies heating bill will factor into their basis ....FFS....

And carbon tax will increase freight rates....the most environmentally friendly way of moving bulk products. ....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...