• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye and thanks to Bob Simpson and Farmgate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye and thanks to Bob Simpson and Farmgate

CTV Saskatchewan's ag reporter Bob Simpson is retiring as of today. I always enjoyed his reports and weekly Farmgate TV show. The Market Watch segments each winter were interesting and informative. I'm a little pissed at CTV for bringing the half-hour Farmgate program to an end. They already got rid of Prairie Farm Report which followed Farmgate on Saturdays. Probably needed the timeslot for another "E-talk" or "reality" show. Anyway, thanks to Bob for all his work in farm broadcasting.

That's too bad I didn't mind watching farmgate. I guess I didn't fit with bell media's views or the liberal city folk.

Comment

Yes. I will miss it too. Alot of times it was a montage of the ag stories covered during the week. I also looked forward to Market Prospects. Hard to believe Farm Gate was twenty some years old already.

It begs the question, how many years does a farmer farm in his career? My Dad helped as long as he could. Technology kept him from doing some jobs until his physical health got in the way of the rest. He's in his early 80's. If we only ever worked the average person's career, It would be freedom 50 or 55 for most of us. Then sell the farm to the successor because we needed the next fifteen to twenty years to feather the nest for retirement. I can see history repeating itself here under the current circumstances.

Comment

hard to believe it was on for that many years. I liked his style of reporting on farm news. It was a good farm show.

Comment

Thanks Bob for all the years of farm reporting and producing Farmgate. Your work has been appreciated by the farm community and industry.
          Yes, I too am pissed we will no longer have a dedicated Ag show in SK. Over the period of time farmgate ran (since Kevin Hursh in 1980) and prior to that Bill Storey-“Storey about Farming” I think it was, so much has moved to the cities. Now the cities think they can survive and thrive without farming. That is wrong. Television is a less important media than it once was, but the Ag industry is just as important.

Comment

Thanks Bob for the great show, always did get good guests in for all the topics of the week including market prospects.

It's unfortunate CTV Regina isn't continuing the show and will likely just rerun some of their other unpopular shows. 👎

I have noticed The Rural Channel has Prairie Farm Report on quite often but am not sure if there is any episodes still being produced or if they are all old.

Comment

Where is Rural Channel found?

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                Where is Rural Channel found?
                With Star Choice/Shaw it is channel #385.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Yes. I will miss it too. Alot of times it was a montage of the ag stories covered during the week. I also looked forward to Market Prospects. Hard to believe Farm Gate was twenty some years old already.

It begs the question, how many years does a farmer farm in his career? My Dad helped as long as he could. Technology kept him from doing some jobs until his physical health got in the way of the rest. He's in his early 80's. If we only ever worked the average person's career, It would be freedom 50 or 55 for most of us. Then sell the farm to the successor because we needed the next fifteen to twenty years to feather the nest for retirement. I can see history repeating itself here under the current circumstances.
                  Freedom 50 or 55, Good Luck. I figure Freedom 75.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                    Freedom 50 or 55, Good Luck. I figure Freedom 75.
                    Just cash your chips in Sumbumguy instead of the yearly all in gamble you take every spring. I'm starting a farmaholics anonymous group meeting...you should join. Think we can get any members?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...