• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This peas and lentil thing is upsetting. WTF will farmers grow in 2018. Canola at $8

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    Maybe some forgot what we were dealt
    This is disking pea ground middle of december,the view from combine last november , and seeding near the end of june
    Not always easy to pre price. Some forget
    Those pictures have to be some of the most discouraging conditions I have ever seen in my life. I honestly would not know what to do in that situation. You made your way through it. Good for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i totally agree.

Comment

I know wheat was not a money maker for some but going forward if we can get over $7 again ..... it’s not terrible , if we can get that .... was just looking at production numbers ..

That may hold prices for a while yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        I know wheat was not a money maker for some but going forward if we can get over $7 again ..... it’s not terrible , if we can get that .... was just looking at production numbers ..

That may hold prices for a while yet ?
        We seem to do ok at $6.50 , $7 even better!

Comment

So what happenned to we only make our money on handling?? You said that over and over. Hahaha

Ya everyone else can see the trouble with that scenario when you are the only ones directly in contact with the buyers and know what's going on long before producers. When you lock it in you have all us producers to fill your contract who do we have?
          Is it a co incidence then that all companies here are within pennies of each other offered to us no callusion what so ever right?? And as I ve said many a time before who regulates this. The answer is no body.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            A bunch of millionaire farmers complaining about grain prices tailing off. 'Rich', don't you think? Why not just get bigger? Buy more iron? That'll cure the blues of these "awful" prices... Hurry, buy that cheap N, order your canola seed, defer those sales, incorporate to save taxes, drain more land, push more bush, produce more. Life is all about the dollar! Wait, doesn't it take dollars to do all those things? Wait, where did that money come from? Grain sales? But I thought they were too low? Did the money come from somewhere else then? I often wonder.

If you can afford any of the above, grain prices are just fine. Be happy with what you have for once. I wish I were in that position, but I am still happy.

First world problems people! This is exactly why I temporarily leave this site once in a while. I feel like I am on a different planet farming.

Sometimes a reality check is needed. If I can live with these grain prices, y'all can too...
            how was your fall ? did you get it all off ok ?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
              I always joke we will be seeding two crops Oats and Canola.

2018 probably will be the year.
              Neighbors have been doing just that for a few yrs now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                A bunch of millionaire farmers complaining about grain prices tailing off. 'Rich', don't you think? Why not just get bigger? Buy more iron? That'll cure the blues of these "awful" prices... Hurry, buy that cheap N, order your canola seed, defer those sales, incorporate to save taxes, drain more land, push more bush, produce more. Life is all about the dollar! Wait, doesn't it take dollars to do all those things? Wait, where did that money come from? Grain sales? But I thought they were too low? Did the money come from somewhere else then? I often wonder.

If you can afford any of the above, grain prices are just fine. Be happy with what you have for once. I wish I were in that position, but I am still happy.

First world problems people! This is exactly why I temporarily leave this site once in a while. I feel like I am on a different planet farming.

Sometimes a reality check is needed. If I can live with these grain prices, y'all can too...
                A reality check might be having livestock and chores to do - none of this 6 months farming then park the toys and holiday for 6 months. First world problems indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  how was your fall ? did you get it all off ok ?
                  Yeah, I got it off. I'll live. Not a stellar crop at all, had really big issues. Next year will be better! Soil has simply taken a real bad beating for so many years. Had a bunch of summerfallow this year for the first time since 1995. Got the land back into shape finally. And getting our sheep flock up to significant enough numbers to start having a real financial impact the coming years. They are working for us in our situation, and I am very thankful for that...

Thx for asking.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    A reality check might be having livestock and chores to do - none of this 6 months farming then park the toys and holiday for 6 months. First world problems indeed!
                    Boy that statement will be taken well! lol. I love having chores now. I seriously do not remember what the heck I did in my life before animals. I like being out there in the cold. Keeps a guy young!

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                      This is disking pea ground middle of december,the view from combine last november , and seeding near the end of june
                      Those pictures have to be some of the most discouraging conditions I have ever seen in my life. I honestly would not know what to do in that situation. You made your way through it. Good for you.[/QUOTE]

As heartbreaking as that is, I can offer one positive. At least in that type of soil, you can function with that much water. Try driving through standing water, or within a couple hundred feet of water in our clay and you will regret it. Conditions like you show, and what we had last fall and this spring is why I'm afraid to ever pre price, even in times like 2013 when I was certain it was the right thing to do.

Comment

Grass , that’s our choice , live with it others do, and do well . No different than certain grain farms . Some do well, some struggle, look in the mirror and sash yourself if it’s right for you . Everyone has different opinions in life

Comment

Ok , auto correct not working, hopefully get my point.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            Those pictures have to be some of the most discouraging conditions I have ever seen in my life. I honestly would not know what to do in that situation. You made your way through it. Good for you.
                            As heartbreaking as that is, I can offer one positive. At least in that type of soil, you can function with that much water. Try driving through standing water, or within a couple hundred feet of water in our clay and you will regret it. Conditions like you show, and what we had last fall and this spring is why I'm afraid to ever pre price, even in times like 2013 when I was certain it was the right thing to do.[/QUOTE]

yea I've said that many times , through all that we never got stuck once . seems to be a hard pan that holds you at about a foot deep

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post

Must be a hell of a place when the poplars aren't in full leaf by the end of June, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                                Must be a hell of a place when the poplars aren't in full leaf by the end of June, lol.
                                sorry grass that should of said end of May . what are you a ****ing teacher , correcting my work . you are too ****ing funny ! you need to get a life , the pic was to show why it's not easy to pre price . any other problems with the other pics for you ? for what it's worth , about 5 years ago , trees did not leaf until June 20. here .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...