• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This peas and lentil thing is upsetting. WTF will farmers grow in 2018. Canola at $8

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave4441

So the domestic processor or crusher in any country is the problem....starting to make a lot more sense now there cowboy. ....lol.
    Last edited by bucket; Nov 22, 2017, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by dave4441 View Post
      I agree totally.

I was talking about reds in the fall mainly when i said that. 1500 lb crops at average price of 25 is $375/ac.

$9/bu was available last winter on peas and some was AOG if i remember correctly.
      hindsight is good , but the problem with pre pricing around here was a good portion of the crop out , ground saturated , and ruts from one end to the other . we were hoping to seed half our acres last spring . not much incentive to take extra risk . be glad you farm somewhere that you could . having said that I guess we still missed the boat with peas after harvest

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        hindsight is good , but the problem with pre pricing around here was a good portion of the crop out , ground saturated , and ruts from one end to the other . we were hoping to seed half our acres last spring . not much incentive to take extra risk . be glad you farm somewhere that you could . having said that I guess we still missed the boat with peas after harvest

Maybe some
        Maybe some forgot what we were dealt
        This is disking pea ground middle of december,the view from combine last november , and seeding near the end of june
        Not always easy to pre price. Some forget

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          Dave4441

So the domestic processor or crusher in any country is the problem....starting to make a lot more sense now there cowboy. ....lol.
          Everyone is going to do what makes them the most money on any given day under any particular circumstances, within reason. Including you and i as farmers or me as a processor.

I sold lentils this year to another processor because i didn't have access to the market for that particular product. I would have had to discount it if i had sold it to our company.

Comment

Sheepwheat and Blackpowder. Big thumbs up. ++1.

Comment

Maybe some forgot what we were dealt
              This is disking pea ground middle of december,the view from combine last november , and seeding near the end of june
              Not always easy to pre price. Some forget[/QUOTE]

Those pictures have to be some of the most discouraging conditions I have ever seen in my life. I honestly would not know what to do in that situation. You made your way through it. Good for you.

Comment

So the buyers priced it at 9 last winter and were offering us 7.50 this fall. Hahaha that must have slipped out. Hey? Hahaha
                I think the other guys maybe have some concerns because if the games played in between us and them maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                  I don't understand markets so help me. If there was $9 markets why didn't grain Co pre sell the whole crop and be able to offer that price all the way through. That seems to be the recomendation all experts are telling farmers they should have done. Same with wheat back in July.
                  Some grain companies here do back to back sales as mentioned in above quote.
                  Others spec buy.
                  Some do nothing.

Comment

I know this will piss some of you off but im miles away and you cant get me lol

The market is NEVER wrong but changes every day

Lentil acres will be swapped with canola here in OZ as i posted yesterday $540 is avaialble for canola 2018 many are foward selling at that for next year, predsume you have same choice in canada

Comment

No fall Mallee price is just over 10 for fall no act of god. Blood sweat and tears.

I did all our peas at $8.00 and $8.25 last winter and rest were dumped at $7.50 or are for seed. Yea i push the envelope if i see a price thats good. Some years you don't grow them and have to pay the price it sucks.

But the whole idea of this thread was the fact we have useless organizations that aren't doing their job. We cant ask for our money back to show them were pissed.

We have a useless PM that is destroying canada. (Sorry he is a shit for brains)

Yes the trade deals are important and yes they over produced but were looking a lot like the 80s and countries playing games all over again. Boy scout Canada will do nothing.

Comment

That's true the point also is this won't just screw up peas this will affect all other acres and crop prices. It's brainless to say our government and organizations don't have a responsibility here. The other governments are interfering with the market our s needs to also.

Comment

Boy Scouts approach needs to be replaced and stand up for your country not let every one push us around.

But we don't have any one thats even close to doing or saying what most would like Canada to do.

Our ***** sure as hell isn't the answer to take on other trade actions by other countries.

Nice socks though.

Comment

Malle
                            That’s basically what’s going to happen here, except for the dry areas ... for now .
                            Soil moisture is very depleted in many areas but a lot can happen from now till May. But regardless pulses will take a back seat to canola .

Comment

I always joke we will be seeding two crops Oats and Canola.

2018 probably will be the year.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                                So the buyers priced it at 9 last winter and were offering us 7.50 this fall. Hahaha that must have slipped out. Hey? Hahaha
                                I think the other guys maybe have some concerns because if the games played in between us and them maybe.
                                Nothing I said slipped out. If someone sold $9 peas last fall and now are paying $7.50 now then good on them. Nothing sinister about it. What i am saying is i don't think that happens alot but if someone did that then they speculated correctly and deserve the spread. Their risk their gain.

Massive markets like corn and soybeans are full of speculators. It's what makes the market active and allows liquidity. IF the market had to be perfectly hedged all the time you would see massive swings by the minute.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...