• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think about...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
    Sure looks enticing to my dad. Selling his little bit would bring a really nice sum. Renting it out would bring almost the same income with ZERO stress or risk. I'm on the other end of the age spectrum, trying to get in, and I'm about ready to say screw it. Cash rent is ~$100/ac, land sold the past month is $3500/ac. This is jdgreen territory, not the Red River or central Alberta. No investors here.

The only way I can see myself getting in and staying alive financially is to do custom work.
    Zeefarmer...what part of the country are you in? Those numbers sound too familiar...

Comment

Sure looks enticing to my dad. Selling his little bit would bring a really nice sum. Renting it out would bring almost the same income with ZERO stress or risk. I'm on the other end of the age spectrum, trying to get in, and I'm about ready to say screw it. Cash rent is ~$100/ac, land sold the past month is $3500/ac. This is jdgreen territory, not the Red River or central Alberta. No investors here.

The only way I can see myself getting in and staying alive financially is to do custom work.
      What does that say about the economics of farming? Subsidize it with off farm income, earn extra income doing custom work, subsidize with paid for land or get a silver platter farm handed to you. Land prices reset once early in my farming career, about 20%, and it feels like we're at that point again.

How many other industries have to subsidize their core business because it isn't financially viable? Stupid!

Comment

A4A, SW Sask.

Comment

Maybe what the Primary Producer level needs is a lot less passion and maybe decisions made on economics and not emotion! I wonder what Ag would look like if that happened.

Comment

A4A, SW Sask.
            Wow Zee sorry to hear that for a guy just wanting to start out. The SW has seen probably the most wild price increases in the past decade.

Maybe there will be a chance to get in during the next 5 years

Comment

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.....waiting, as our next generation of independent farmers wait for their window of opportunity to open. Some might say **** it and do something else. What age do we expect our future prospects to be before they get their chance?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...