• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tires on Fence Posts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires on Fence Posts

Cleaned up an old fence line and in the blow dirt around every single post an ole bias ply tire. Can someone enlighten me to the purpose of such a practice?

Maybe from an organic farmer, they used to put those tires up with signs saying they were organic, Beware
    All their necessary tillage likely filled the fence row.

Comment

I can't think of a good reason why they would do it in an area where dirt blows. But here in big Swamp country people will hang a truck tire wheel etc. on posts to keep them from pushing out of the ground

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        I can't think of a good reason why they would do it in an area where dirt blows. But here in big Swamp country people will hang a truck tire wheel etc. on posts to keep them from pushing out of the ground
        Is anybody dumb enough to think a 100 pound tire is going to keep frost from heaving a post up? Really? Frost will lift a building foundation if it's not deep enough wtf is a little tire going to do?

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
          Is anybody dumb enough to think a 100 pound tire is going to keep frost from heaving a post up? Really? Frost will lift a building foundation if it's not deep enough wtf is a little tire going to do?
          I'm not sure how much is frost heaving and how much is just high water table floating the posts out, in ground that has no structure. It does work, perhaps it just slowly pushes them back in when the frost subsides, I know it takes very little effort to push them back down. When I think about it, what you say makes sense, when you see the power of frost.

Comment

They did it to keep the post from rotting away just like putting an old boot on top of a post. People used to be more frugal in earlier days.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
              They did it to keep the post from rotting away just like putting an old boot on top of a post. People used to be more frugal in earlier days.
              Yup, hes right. Soup cans were another item used to "cap" fence posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
                Heck, people still believe that god exists today, dreamt up from the bronze age. So ya, maybe a tire will hold a post down. Just believe.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                  The whole tire or just a piece of it wrapped tightly around where it goes in the ground? I cant see what putting a whole tire around a pole would do to keep it from rotting. I've heard of guys hanging it on the pole and putting a rock in it and using it like a sling to weigh down a corner post.

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
                    Heck, people still believe that god exists today, dreamt up from the bronze age. So ya, maybe a tire will hold a post down. Just believe.
                    LOL. Post of the day

Iceman Out

Comment

The tires were all laying down flat with fence post in the middle. Most were flush to the top of the sidewall filled with sod and blowdirt. Not one post missed in a half mile. Typically in that 14" size range. Posts mostly rotted off at ground level. The tires might of once hung on the post who knows. Maybe after the frost heave the weight of the tire might of helped push post back to position. Though I would think that would tend to make a post lean after a long period.

If the idea was to keep the post from rotting I think it would be counter productive. Keeps the post shaded at the base, holds wet snow against the post...

I thought maybe feeders?

Comment

Perhaps the post hole digger wasn't very good at straight lines, or even spacing, so the tires were laid out as a guide? Or to demark a contested property line before the fence was built. If they started out on top, they should still be there, what would cause them to fall off except maybe cows rubbing on them. Gravity or wind wouldn't.

Comment

If the tire was hung on the fence post, wouldn't the wire prevent it from falling to the ground?

Comment

Never seen them on fenceposts like that, but road signs on back roads where cattle graze wide open, put a tire on the ground to prevent cattle from rubbing on the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by boytefarms View Post
                              If the tire was hung on the fence post, wouldn't the wire prevent it from falling to the ground?
                              Lol yep had to be there before the wire

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...