• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Boy, do you guys have a tough harvest....are they all that challenging. ..weather-wise?
    For us we usually do more harvesting in October than September here. The last three years have been challenging in different ways.

2015 was dry from seeding till harvest and only took off half a crop and supplemented cows on pasture all summer.

2016 was mud, mud, and more mud after seeding till freeze up. Only got half the crop off between snow falls. We were combining and chopping silage (we called it "snolage") till the second week of December.

2017 we tried harvesting the overwintered crop but ended up working it in since it was only an inch tall and muddy clay underneath it. This meant seeding till June 15 which explains the late harvest window. Now we keep getting at least an inch or more a week of rain just to make it more fun.

I'm sure glad we got the cows to pay the bills since the crops haven't been panning out lately. Just finished rolling out bales in the dark for black cows....... good thing there eyes shine back at you or else you'd never notice them with the dim lights on the tractor.

I despise mud but will gladly take it over dust any day. In 2015 I fed the cows from November 2014 till June 2016 everyday and it royally sucked.

We never had production insurance on the crop till this year. We were running it under " lack of moisture " insurance as it was way lower premiums and I thought that was our biggest risk. We maxed it out this year and it has taken away a lot of the stress which is worth a lot to me.

Comment

This was December 10 last year baling greenfeed at -25 and the baler worked better than I thought it would. We were combining as well till the fuel gelled in one machine and the other broke all the fingers on the header auger from frozen lumps of mud in the swath and at that point we said to hell with it.

Comment

Challenging to say the least. We've had it real easy in comparison. Thanks for posting...makes some other issues we deal with seem trivial.

Comment

Speaking of old combines I was having a coffee with the neighbor the other day. He was talking about the first Massey 92 his Dad bought. I am sure(correct me if I am wrong) he said his Dad payed $3400. He said yup combined 1500 bushels of barley and it was payed for. How many bushels of barley by contrast does it take to buy a combine today? A new one at least 150000 bushels, what a difference!?

Comment

Think it was 2003 when we last went into winter with things as dry as they are now.
            About the only time in years farming when modest snow pack soaked into ground with no spring runoff.
            Took higher crop insurance coverage because of low reserve moisture.
            Enough moisture in 2004 for fairly good crop but got August frost.
            Thankful to have crop insurance and Agristability.

Comment

Ha yea I started on a Jd 55 probably cost dad the same.

Now it's so insane it's not even funny.

I think equipment has hit the wall.

Comment

Grandfather and Dad got one of first 55's in 1947, think he said $2000 for combine and a swather. Had a 14' header, standard also a 6' belt PU. Swather was a Grain Saver 14'. That's my avatar.

Comment

Lots of snow already.

Comment

Looks like the three sisters in the background are you in canmore sf3.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                      Ha yea I started on a Jd 55 probably cost dad the same.

Now it's so insane it's not even funny.

I think equipment has hit the wall.
                      not according to bourgault, still adding $3500 per month to new seeder. if you wait till nov, add another $6000? fckn morons. pickup trucks are cheaper now than last year at this time, but farm machinery goes up 1.5% per month.

Comment

The only time to buy BG IS when there 14 percent discount was on..
                        Ordered a new 6450 tank cheaper than a 2014 used one.

Comment

Yea wedding out here and it is three sisters.

I just think equipment is getting to point of no return.

Comment

No more gdamn rain or snow and no more friggin breakdowns and we might be done this asshole year and park these blankety blank combines. Screwed without good neighbors.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...