• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

propionic acid

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

propionic acid

Does anyone still use, or is it still available. We are snowed under now and it looks like a April/may harvest now. Some of the newborns have quite a lot of damp grain and no dryers. 40 yr ago we used lots to keep feed grain the stock took a bit of time to get used to the vinegar smell and taste.
    Dam auto correct anyway it was cheap,i don't know how it would stack up bags but if you don't have enough to bother bagging it may be an answer,i know its not so good with steel bins but there are still a few wood ones around, or Mabry a pile.?

Horse did you use the acid on grain? I've only heard of it being used on hay before. We've taken off really tough grain and put it on aeration till it turns cold and freeze the bin up and fed it over the winter. Temperature cables are handy to monitor this.

We made 110 heavy second cut bales just before the snow that are 15-25% mst but they will be fed within a week. There's still 120 acres of nice heavy hay waiting to be baled and maybe in a week we can get it if this weather straightened out.

Comment

Woodland yes it was used on boy as that fall nothing got below 18/20% moisture.that's barley onto boy

Comment

Canadian hay and silage sells "the juice" and it's propionic acid with a few other things in it. I've never used it but I know one guy that uses it on 20% first cut and likes it. We've used salt on 20% hay and it works great and is "free" since they need it in the winter anyways. Could you bale up this feed and wrap it with a bale wrapper? We've done this for a few years and it doesn't ferment if it's dry but keeps very well for $3-4 a bale.

Not as much as other places but still totally unneeded.

Comment

We use it on our round baler can make 3 day hay reliably that way.

It's corrosive... Hard on the belt lacings.

Works well tho!

Comment

Klaus at what moisture do you make hay and at what cost/bail. I priced it out once yrs ago and at $5 + I felt only dairy could afford to use it, but that was probably 20yr ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
              Klaus at what moisture do you make hay and at what cost/bail. I priced it out once yrs ago and at $5 + I felt only dairy could afford to use it, but that was probably 20yr ago.

Our land is rolling. Top of hill are ddru bottoms not so bales are anywhere from 15 to 30%... Average around 19 or 20.

I use a half strength rate works out to just under 4 a bale... We sell 300 acres worth of hay so my thought is it's worth it when you can get it off without rain for $65 a bale vs $45 for a rained on one...

Comment

Thanks Klaus I may look into it again as I make about 300 acres also mostly for sale, only 3 to 4 Mabry 4.5 cents this yr,that's per # sure is hard to please everyone, the truckers want 1500# but a lot of local buyers want to buy by the bail so a1500 casts $70 but they can but bails at $45 ,size doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                  Thanks Klaus I may look into it again as I make about 300 acres also mostly for sale, only 3 to 4 Mabry 4.5 cents this yr,that's per # sure is hard to please everyone, the truckers want 1500# but a lot of local buyers want to buy by the bail so a1500 casts $70 but they can but bails at $45 ,size doesn't matter.

I feel your pain. I like making my bales as big and heavy as possible... I don't like starting the tractor more than once a week to feed our horses lol. But trying to get the value out of a 5x6 2,000 lb bale is impossible... They get pretty dangerous to handle with smaller tractors too... So we do 5x5 1200ish lbs bales for selling.

I put ceramic spray tips on my applicator the acid eats the plastic ones just an fyi.
                  Last edited by Klause; Oct 12, 2017, 15:02.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...