• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen canola ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen canola ??

What moisture can 15% green canola be stored on air for 2 weeks ?
    It's going to be cool enough at nights after this next rain / snow event to put air on and keep it cool. It was still at 14-15% moisture last Friday .
    Hopefully it's 12 or lower today.
    Just never had to deal with garbage like this before.

If you leave the fan on it will stay for a long time but shut off for a day or two and boom

Comment

Rotate a load or two and I would put supplemental heat on she'll dry.

Comment

Should turn it. Neighbour aired a bin of 14% and it channeled and heated. Have a couple tough bins which I've turned once. Had enough heated couple years ago and stuff that didn't heat was turned.

Comment

One thing to watch, if you use air, make sure top of canola in bin is levelled so air moves evenly through grain. Air will find the quickest route out and if moves out the edges of bin the center may run into spoilage issues.

Comment

Ok thx for the replies 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
              One thing to watch, if you use air, make sure top of canola in bin is levelled so air moves evenly through grain. Air will find the quickest route out and if moves out the edges of bin the center may run into spoilage issues.
              Didn't know that. Great advice.

Comment

don't go climbing into that bin without a harness and someone watching over you

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  What moisture can 15% green canola be stored on air for 2 weeks ?
                  It's going to be cool enough at nights after this next rain / snow event to put air on and keep it cool. It was still at 14-15% moisture last Friday .
                  Hopefully it's 12 or lower today.
                  Just never had to deal with garbage like this before.
                  At 15% green even when you get it dried I would be worried..that shit is unstable.

Im guessing you were wanting to blend it out as other good stuff goes out?? (I would)

Comment

Well that was the plan if it was below 12.5 moisture and 10% green
                    It will be sitting till next week now
                    Did 2500 bus today , outside rounds and a few areas in field trying to find out where it's at .
                    It can sit till last minute now

Comment

What's that shit yielding furrow (guestimate)....probably better than my Sahara Slum of the Ghetto canola crop!

Comment

I wouldn't be worried about it. Had some*&%$#**@! Dekalb canola a few years ago, 20% green, marginally dry, and full of green leaves, flowers etc. Started smelling like silage after a few days(from the green chaff, not the seeds), turned the entire bin during cold weather, and it kept fine for over a year and a half when it was finally sold.

This may not be recommended by the experts, but I would harvest it as tough as possible, put in air bins with temp cable( or cables preferably) let it warm up and see if you can get some of those greens to change color. Not sure what the safe temperature is, but I'd turn fans on at not much over 20C long enough to cool down below 20. Anecdotally it seems to work.

Comment

Alberta farmer5

Did the green count lower in storage? Just curious since if we can get ours off it's going to be similar or worse to yours that you described. May have to leave the low spots since it's like silage in the swath now. Fun times ahead.

Comment

Interesting A5 , will consider that .
                            We will see next week what happens
                            We gambled that we would miss this rain / snow event , we have missed 90% of forecast rains all year so it's a safe bet lol
                            Will take it next week and deal with it then
                            Farma , so far anywhere from 15 to 50 depending on frost damage and where it was drought stressed after emergence .
                            Most of the field emerged very well then just sat there and did not do much for two weeks . We had almost zero rain there until July 21 st .

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                              Alberta farmer5

Did the green count lower in storage? Just curious since if we can get ours off it's going to be similar or worse to yours that you described. May have to leave the low spots since it's like silage in the swath now. Fun times ahead.
                              The 20% stuff was too low moisture and cool enough that nothing changed. But, I believe it has been working the past two years, when we have been binning canola at 13 to 18%. "looked" like a lot of greens when going in, much of it graded no 1, some no 2 when it came out, and in our climate, high green seed counts are very common. Purely anecdotal though, I didn't have a roller until now, just mash a few and estimate. And considering that the same sample at the elevator usually varies by so much that it would be hard to draw any conclusions based on even smaller sample sizes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...