• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Durum Prices In The Shitter ...... AGAIN!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that those prices would have cleaned up any old crop still hanging around at the middle of July.

Comment

Where's wiseguy?

......they'll say and do anything......

How does that go again?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	766033

Or are the asking prices irrelevant

EDIT: maybe not if you could see them

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (4).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	766034

Retry.

Comment

Why so many views and so few posts?

HELLO, Hello.... hello..... is there anybody out there?

Comment

"Just nod if you can hear me,
              Is there anyone at home?"
              Couldn't resist that reply.....

Old crop has been going out for about 350 so far for 2017 according to CITD
              Predominantly #3 with product sold by specification second largest
              Funny CGC says #4 and #5 stuff is received at the export terminals but it is never recorded as sold by those grades
              Canada asking prices comparable to US prices.
              US posted prices were much higher in August but they never recorded any sales at those levels

Comment

Thanks for the appropriate reply 101. :-)

Interesting stats regarding grades unloaded at port but no sales of such recorded.

Comment

It just amazes me how bad prices are on a drought year! But, grain companies and traders have come up with the idea the crop came in above expectations. Talked with a farmer from ND, yields there were 12-20. Also said not for one minute believe anything from any source that it was higher than that.
                  Guess in Canada yields were average to above to have these prices doing what they are doing.
                  Guess 20 bu and lower floods the market. But trade will say those are minuscule areas compared to the bin busting areas.
                  We all know we wil have to open the bins and give some away to bills.

Comment

I thought with empty elevators they would increase prices.....but no....they fill an elevator and let it sit plugged them off up specials 2 hours away .....

As an example local grain company is plugged but sent out a text there is a special in swift current....

You know the cars could be loaded locally and they end up going by swift current to the same port destination.....seems stupid....

Comment

Lol ya the good ol .25 special on limited tonnage.
                      What a fracking joke!!

Comment

Being outside the durum area perhaps I am missing something but it seems reasonable you could sell between $7.00 to $7.50 and more if you want to haul to CERES. Spring wheat is low $6.00 area and if you have no protein it's a buck or more below that. I am going to assume the cost of production is pretty similar between spring wheat and durum. Also read Kostal's report saying North African tenders are working back to a $6.00 nominal SK value. Call me crazy but seems like durum is a sale at those values. Pretty sure if spring wheat was $7.00 guys would be lining up to sell it. Maybe I don't understand it, but if feels like there is more an emotional reaction to not getting this summer's prices than looking at what is the better ROI for the farm currently?

Comment

One dollar of spread is not enough risk to warrant growing durum IMO. 1 in 5 years durum goes #1 rest of the time fusarium makes it go sample. Never had my HRS grade worse than a #2.

Then when we finally get a #1 buyers dont want to pay a premium over a #3. Plenty of evidence our grading system is f'd.

Comment

There is no comparison beteeen wheat and durum, the two markets are totally different. The entire world can grow wheat, durum is a small market. The non traditional areas have tried to grow durum and ended up with low poor quality stuff. Durum is a long season crop, even on a normal can take time to mature.
                            You might think $7-7.50 is decent return, but with a small crop here in Canada and the US prices should be better in a smaller market. Acres and production were way down in Canada, yes there was some durum left for the 16 crop, but most of that had high fuzz and was very low quality. Yes, some may have been a 3 or 4, but prices should be better today for high quality. I guess what we have the buyers don't want. Millers have found out they can substitute crappy stuff for high quality.
                            If we had crap again this yr they would want what we have this yr. It's just a marry go round circus.

Comment

Fair enough on the market being completely different and fully understand the risk if 4 of 5 years grades are poor you would be looking for a bigger premium. Historically over a 5 or 10 year period what is the average spread? I can also understand though if the majority of the crop is higher grades this year, which according to the CGC harvest survey program it is, why there is little spread in the grades. That is just economics.

Only other comment would be that if you are truly getting poor quality 4 years out of 5, why grow any of it at all? Long term are you not more profitable to grow CWRS? Or is it just the lottery ticket crop b/c every now and then it goes to $12/bu?

Comment

We got $7.40/ bus for #2 Durum in 1973, this is 2017, isn't it? That's 44 years. What a crime!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...