• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic, Heritage tomatoes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not call this off topic, everything is talked about on this site and most of it is interesting.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      You must keep your own seed. I think that works doesn't it? Ever try growing them in pots in the house. Tomato plants kinda smell but I wonder if you could grow your own inside all winter. Just stagger planting dates so you always have new produce coming. Just a thought.

Some factory farm vegetables barely resemble what they are supposed to be in color, flavor and texture!
      no farma , there are places you can buy this seed for these tomatoes . mom gets them somewhere and starts them early . I am thinking about trying to grow a couple in pots in the house this winter though? wonder if they need pollinators or will bear fruit without ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        no farma , there are places you can buy this seed for these tomatoes . mom gets them somewhere and starts them early . I am thinking about trying to grow a couple in pots in the house this winter though? wonder if they need pollinators or will bear fruit without ?
        You can use a small artist paintbrush to pollinate them yourself. You can search videos on YouTube.

Comment

Some people whack their tomatoes, corn, peppers and cucs with a broom to assist with pollination.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
            I'll find it and post tomorrow. It's in an old Luthern cookbook. Yes, it is phenomenal. Make 100+ pint and quart jars a year and we always run out before the next year's batch. Quite often for lunch I will spread black pepper Triscuit crackers over a platter, melt Havarti cheese over them and add a teaspoon of salsa to each cracker - damn good stuff.
            I saw your recipe so I asked my wife to pick up some Havarti cheese and triscuits and gave it a try and you are right - Damn good stuff! Thanks

Comment

Went to east coast USA. Gourmet shop. Bought a Russian 🍅 . Brown. Dark green around the stem. Huge. US$5.95 for one tomato. It called my name. Added it to the green salad for dinner. Not acidic. Really meaty. Lots of large seeds but a slight squish gets rid of most of them. Good flavour. They don't look appetizing. I kept a few seeds. Hardy. Germinate well. I germinate and plant them every year. If anyone wants seed, I'll dry them and send some to tomato-lovers. I like this tomato very much.

Quite often, if there is a dry spell, and you water tomatoes and soak them too much, they will form irregular shapes, and even split open I find. Like potatoes, don't threaten to drown them. Pars.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                i just rub them onto paper towels (space them out) to dry and if they stick, who cares, they can be planted with the paper. The main thing with seed is you gotta let the fruit ripen to almost rotten on the vine for real vigorous seed.
                I do exactly the same sumdum. When the seed gets ready to harvest inside the rotting fruit or veggie, the coating on the seed that forms, fights viruses. Which is why I never wash them. Makes for hardy seed, not puny. Mucky harvesting, tho. Pars

Comment

Originally posted by parsley View Post
                  Went to east coast USA. Gourmet shop. Bought a Russian 🍅 . Brown. Dark green around the stem. Huge. US$5.95 for one tomato. It called my name. Added it to the green salad for dinner. Not acidic. Really meaty. Lots of large seeds but a slight squish gets rid of most of them. Good flavour. They don't look appetizing. I kept a few seeds. Hardy. Germinate well. I germinate and plant them every year. If anyone wants seed, I'll dry them and send some to tomato-lovers. I like this tomato very much.

Quite often, if there is a dry spell, and you water tomatoes and soak them too much, they will form irregular shapes, and even split open I find. Like potatoes, don't threaten to drown them. Pars.
                  I would love a few seeds Pars. When you are coming to Regina call me.

Funny thing, not 10 minutes ago I was thinking, "where the h is Parsley?" Haven't heard from you in awhile.

Comment

Busiest summer ever.

Will send you some in the mail when seeds are dry. Don't know when I'll get to Regina. I choose the well-formed large tomatoes for seed use. They turn red when ripe, and they seem to be disappearing in mouths at an unusally fast rate their year... but won't be long before we've had our filI, & I'll start juicing/ drying them. Pars
                    PS send me a message with your current address in it. I've learned to assume that people move, build new houses, change their box numbers, and remarry. 😜
                    Last edited by parsley; Oct 7, 2017, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefargo View Post
                      Now this is a topic I can get interested in.
                      For my retirement project I am going to find the perfect tomatoe. I tried 10 store bought varieties this year. Some were passable. On a scale from 1 to 10 there were a few that were a 6 or 7. But none had the kick ass flavour that I am looking for. I may try some heritage varieties next year. I found the above discussion helpful.
                      Any recommendations on varieties are appreciated.
                      Id be pleased to gift you some of this year's seed if you'd like. Romas? I've saved the same seed for prob 20 years. Lots of varieties. All heirlooms. So is the Russian tomato.
                      They all just pop up in the spring. Cocky bunch. Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...