• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Bubble in East half of Sk

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is one thing about being on the dry side . We have reclaimed about 130 ac seed far this fall , 200 last fall . That 200 produced excellent yields .
    But I have been there before , spend a lot of time reclaiming low areas only to watch heavy spring run off fill them back up for years lol.
    But if you don't try to clean up those areas they only get worse and then the willows get in there and then it's near impossible to reclaim those areas .

Comment

This farm will be 110 years next year and sadly I will be the last to farm it
      The kids get a good paycheck every two weeks and are smart enough not to take up this occupation.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
        This farm will be 110 years next year and sadly I will be the last to farm it
        The kids get a good paycheck every two weeks and are smart enough not to take up this occupation.
        That about sums it up. They have their eyes wide open and see all the ups and downs, disappointed yields, 40 year old grain prices, floods, drought, hellish expensive machinery and inputs. Maybe 3 out of 10 great years, 4 more average, and 3 disasters.

I suggested borrow a few million, go farming BIGGER....no answer just a shocked face like why TF did you farm dad? The 150 or so Ritchie auctions say something...

Have retired relatives and classmates that had other occupations, no lack of money there, CPP, OAS, pensions from employment, oh oh,Turdo will get those RICH bastards!

Best one is wife's classmate. Her and her husband both retired from RCMP after 25 years, about age 50, traveling the world, happy as ever. Must be huge pensions.

Farming not for everyone, took 50 years to build a retirement, double the RCMP career.

Comment

Don't lay all the blame on farming in general, put it where it belongs and in my opinion that's on the greedy bastards that want to own it all and if that means buying the newest and biggest who is responsible, them, or the machine dealers, they would quit tomorrow if all the greedy quit buying.

Comment

Finished our 51st harvest on Saturday(Sept. 30th) and started helping our daughter and son in law until mother nature started to reward us with very welcome moisture.2.75" and still coming down.We farm heavy clay soil and the water is disappearing down the cracks, only puddles are where we drive all the time.We farm three quarters that have been in the family since 1905 and I think they will stay for awhile yet.

Comment

Radar showed Outlook area getting a lot of rain today.

Comment

We are back to mud bowl status.

Comment

1.4 " here since last night. Still raining

Comment

..........I wish. Grateful for what we did get though. Another month till freeze-up. Then a long winter.
                    Then like Hopalong says, the potential for spring precip and growing season precip. I would just like a little in the bank to fall back on!

If ignorance is bliss I should be the happiest guy on earth!

But.....

Before the internet, which gave us ten minute delay radar, Satellite imagery, and instant contact with anyone and everyone across the globe so we could keep tabs with each other's precip...... ignorance was bliss.

Today, I simply need to accept and play the hand I've been dealt!

Comment

2.8 inches and not done yet

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
                        2.8 inches and not done yet
                        Where are you close to in northeast ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          Where are you close to in northeast ?
                          South of Porcupine Plain. 3 inches in the gauge this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by blueversi View Post
                            South of Porcupine Plain. 3 inches in the gauge this morning.
                            between arborfield and carrot river . us noreaster's have to stick together, lol,, not many really know what it's like to farm in the swamps of sask, some just think they do..... takes a special kind of perseverance to farm in northeast sask !
                            we have about 1.5" here now , can here cracks closing
                            Last edited by Guest; Oct 3, 2017, 08:29.

Comment

At 2 inches..still light rain..
                              Have to buy more bins for next yr..rain makes grain..canola will be over a 100 for sure.
                              Sure loved the mini drought we had.
                              Back to realality for us again.

Comment

3 inches and counting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...