• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I become a Hutterite colony?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, will Hutterites pay increased capital gains on generational transfers as being proposed in Trudumb's new tax reforms? Essentially an inheritance tax if I have the right info, something the NDP loves.

Comment

ok grass you win. Hutterites should get their special tax treatment because they have been some of your best neighbours. Yeah probably because they thought they might be able to buy you out with a big cheque.

anyways... I am not opposed to closing loopholes either we can agree on that. but I do think everyone should be treated the same regardless of religion or how big or small an operation they happen to have.

Comment

Wait til they steal anything u don't have nailed down. And for the record they don't all buy into their commune system. Some shady shit goes on around those places.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          Now here's a thread about jealousy. Do you think they should pay capital gains if they don't sell and would that also apply to non-Hutterite multi-generational farms? If you know how they operate it makes perfect sense that they are able to split income between all the members. One thing about the Hutterites is they are all committed to the job and way of life.
          Contrast that to a dentist I used to have in AB that had a corporation that owned some farmland (rented out) and sprinkled income between teenage kids - none of which had anything to do with the business of the corporation - dentistry. Retired to fish on the west coast before he was 50. The Government may not have worked out every detail for every sector involved just right yet but I certainly applaud them trying as there are certainly abuses that need tightened up on.
          Not really true. They don't hold meetings on colonies where individual members commit their capital to the project. If you want to leave they may leave the shirt on your back. It is actually is a modern day slave culture. If the members voluntarily controlled their own wealth and decided whether or not to contribute to a project, that is entirely different than having a few elders with all the control over the earnings of all the members.

Comment

Been a long time lurker here on this site.

Actually my understanding is that the individual huts have very little of their own money. My wife does billing for a company that manufactures and applies prescriptions to lenses for glasses and sells frames.
            Social services pays for this . I have seen the invoices.
            Hard to believe when the colany as a whole is gushing with cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Saskpraireboy View Post
              Been a long time lurker here on this site.

Actually my understanding is that the individual huts have very little of their own money. My wife does billing for a company that manufactures and applies prescriptions to lenses for glasses and sells frames.
              Social services pays for this . I have seen the invoices.
              Interesting concept - your life is pre-programmed.

Comment

Who says the colonies are gushing with cash? Are you simply judging by the new machinery? When you consider the debt they have to service for land purchase to expand as rapidly as they do and the far higher number of people making their living off the land per quarter section compared to other systems of farming I would think it unlikely they are cash rich.

Comment

Who says the colonies are gushing with cash? Are you simply judging by the new machinery? When you consider the debt they have to service for land purchase to expand as rapidly as they do and the far higher number of people making their living off the land per quarter section compared to other systems of farming I would think it unlikely they are cash rich.
                  Are you serious? The only debt they have to service, is that from a colony they branched out of. Which I would doubt is interest bearing. In my limited experience with them, they only expand when capital allows them to. I have seen first hand, colonies where residents are stacked on top of each other, most of the young families are all longing to be moved to new "start up" colonies, where they may have a slight chance to become a straw boss, or hog boss, etc. Believe what you want, but I highly doubt FCC is financing them.

Comment

They must be a lot smarter than anyone else farming then eh? To be able to double your land base, livestock, machinery and build a new farm yard site with all the grain and livestock infrastructure as well housing for 100 people every 15 years or so takes some doing if it is based on production of commodity agricultural products.

Comment

But they are an innovative resourceful bunch. Alot of times they are involved in some sort of "supply management ag". I think they do everything they can themselves. Probably a lot of skill is bartered between colonies themselves.

We have a colony close by but their aggressive land pursuit hasn't really affected us, (not near as much as some other "entities" and speculators).

Comment

Grassy, so you support the fact that mine and yours tax dollars support social service programs for them?

I dont

They can well afford to pay for eye care, dentil care etc as much or more than I can.

Comment

Just wondering,
                          Say Breadwinners company XYZ999 kept most of its income 3 million invested in itself, while I had a young family. I have my lovely bride raising our 5 kids at home with no off farm income. I keep my dividends down to the bare minimum less than $45000.00 per year. Result is I get full drug coverages for our family, and the government send me a child allowance cheque for $5000.00 per month, qualified for low income programs. This is real and happens on allot of farms. In fact Trudumb also does something similar with his trust fund.

Comment

They must be a lot smarter than anyone else farming then eh? To be able to double your land base, livestock, machinery and build a new farm yard site with all the grain and livestock infrastructure as well housing for 100 people every 15 years or so takes some doing if it is based on production of commodity agricultural products.
                            If old money financing is "Smarter", than yes. Like the neighbor boy whose father has 30 or 40 quarters paid for, the kid has new equipment, pickup truck, peterbuilts, new sled and quad, etc. Is he smarter then me, since I have none of those things?

Back to Hutterites
                            They have piles of liquidity because unlike us they don't have to shell out $7 a gallon for milk, they will bring in milk trucks from established colonies with dairies. Or vegetables from a gardening colony, etc. Most of it is based off a trade and barter system, which is not taxed. They don't have to earn 40% over each dollar just to pay the taxes. When we buy that $7 jug of milk, we're paying closer to $10 by the time we "earn" the initial $7.

If you want to skirt the tax system by using barter and trade, that is fine by me. But please don't expect to utilize extensive services that are paid for by taxes. That is simply unfair.

Comment

Grassy, so you support the fact that mine and yours tax dollars support social service programs for them?

I dont

They can well afford to pay for eye care, dentil care etc as much or more than I can.
                              Who are you or I to judge whether they can afford to pay for dental care etc? You can't base their income on how many combines they have and whether they are new ones. If they are getting supported by social services I'll let social services judge whether they qualify. Not my area of expertise, not my business.

Comment

For a guy who professes to be so smart u sure are ****in stupid. Go to a colony and tell us what u find out. It will be exactly as the posters on here claim. **** sakes its hard to defend a dumbass.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...