• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Spring Wheat Out Of Durum Wheat?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Spring Wheat Out Of Durum Wheat?

We've had a somewhat epic eff up and need to clean some spring wheat out of our durum. Any ideas on what would work to do that?

Originally posted by Mjolnir View Post
    We've had a somewhat epic eff up and need to clean some spring wheat out of our durum. Any ideas on what would work to do that?
    Not much may get a bit trying diff size slotted but better off blending down to grade tolerances what is blend at? What is the grade of durum and the wht?

Comment

Color sorter

Comment

Originally posted by Jagfarms View Post
        Color sorter
        Any kind of colour sorter or will any do?(I know nothing about them) There is an outfit in town with one, I'll have to give them a call I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
          Not much may get a bit trying diff size slotted but better off blending down to grade tolerances what is blend at? What is the grade of durum and the wht?
          The worst bin is at 20% spring wheat, it would be a 1 but it's a 5 now, percentage goes down and grade goes up on following bins until the spring wheat disappears and then its all a 1, we're still waiting to see what they're going to offer for a blend deal.

Comment

The worst bin is at 20% spring wheat, it would be a 1 but it's a 5 now, percentage goes down and grade goes up on following bins until the spring wheat disappears and then its all a 1, we're still waiting to see what they're going to offer for a blend deal.
            That is what I was getting at. Blend it down to max grade tolerance and you will get paid as durum value. Could maybe even leave as a #2 and still be $ ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
              That is what I was getting at. Blend it down to max grade tolerance and you will get paid as durum value. Could maybe even leave as a #2 and still be $ ahead.
              Yep, I'm just costing out the scenarios.

Comment

I know of a mobile color sorter...where are you located and how many bushels?

Comment

Yep, I'm just costing out the scenarios.
                  Good luck. Have a look at Grain Grading Guide under Wheats of other classes and ship at max limits for grade/$ you want.

Elev often blend in lower value wht and other cereal grains to ship at bottom of grade.

Comment

Any kind of colour sorter or will any do?(I know nothing about them) There is an outfit in town with one, I'll have to give them a call I guess.
                    Have to take a sample to run through colour sorters and see what they can do

Some sorters sort by colour alone some do by colour and shape.

I don't think it will sort by colour alone unless there is a significant colour difference

Comment

Indents can separate wheat and durum IF the pockets are sized properly. Color sorting will work but a specific program would need developing for the job.. Probably need one for sure with IR technology.

Comment

Sorry to hear Mj. Can you tell us how it happened? Good learning experience for all, as we all worry about the same when there is wheat and durum on same farm

Comment

Information has it some AV farmers are in Bonneville this morning waiting for the big rain, enjoy!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...