• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding water to Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding water to Canola

Anyone have experience adding water to Canola. Mine is 6.0MT. Is it legal to add water. Wouldn't it be a food safety issue?

Once heard "illegal" so nobody will comment...ours 5%, heard some in 4's

Comment

It might wash the mice guts off. So???

Comment

Woops forgot to turn the fans off tonight on the 6 percent canola when the emc content of the air is 20 percent. My bad.

Comment

sounds like about a $1.85 for every gallon of water you add.

by my back-of-the-napkin calcs, you have to add about 3 gallons of water for every tonne of canola you want to raise by 1% moisture.

A 10,000 bushel bin needs about 2000 gallons to get it up by 3% moisture! Equivalent of about $4000 per bin or about 40 cents per bushel.

maybe leave the bin lids open for the rain this week?

lol

Comment

Why aren't our oh so producer helpful
            Farm groups lobbying for the dry grain benefit? Think of the money we re being screwed by just this fall alone. Do any of those producer groups have any idea about these things?

Comment

yea it's ok for your local co-op meat market to add water to your chicken breasts or ground beef , but not for the lowly farmer growing wheat and canola for the same price as in 1980 , what a f$&king joke . I don't know how we're doing it at these prices

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                yea it's ok for your local co-op meat market to add water to your chicken breasts or ground beef , but not for the lowly farmer growing wheat and canola for the same price as in 1980 , what a f$&king joke . I don't know how we're doing it at these prices
                From what I can "assume".... volume. Now doing it on half or two thirds of that volume. Although this isn't about the difference between you and me, your profitable price/bu point is alot lower than mine. But that is my problem.

Comment

[URL="https://www.agriville.com/threads/6877-4-moisture-canola"]https://www.agriville.com/threads/6877-4-moisture-canola[/URL]
                  An old thread on this very topic.

Oh and not that that anyone cares or it matters back when I first joined I was wrapper changed my name to something more boring.
                  Last edited by mcfarms; Sep 14, 2017, 17:56.

Comment

Phone the Master from Melville. Oh wait he's living in Mexico.

Comment

I have heard if you use a grain cart to hold the wet canola initially. Then fill your trucks from the cart it does a really nice job mixing it.
                      I do think if elevator's are going to have a deduction for tough grain they should be consistent and adjust to the farmers benefit if its really dry.
                      To be fair, with last years tough conditions, the elevator did average the moisture on my tough and dry canola so no deduction.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        From what I can "assume".... volume. Now doing it on half or two thirds of that volume. Although this isn't about the difference between you and me, your profitable price/bu point is alot lower than mine. But that is my problem.
                        We had very little volume last year , seems everyone gets a kick , sure does hurt when it hits home. Hope rain comes soon to all of us. Especially the south

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                          https://www.agriville.com/threads/6877-4-moisture-canola

An old thread on this very topic.
                          Interesting to look back 11 years and see hardly any of those posters are active today. WD9 is about the only one still going.
                          Last edited by helmsdale; Sep 14, 2017, 10:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-mo View Post
                            I have heard if you use a grain cart to hold the wet canola initially. Then fill your trucks from the cart it does a really nice job mixing it.
                            I do think if elevator's are going to have a deduction for tough grain they should be consistent and adjust to the farmers benefit if its really dry.
                            To be fair, with last years tough conditions, the elevator did average the moisture on my tough and dry canola so no deduction.
                            Auger mixes fine on its own

Comment

The key to adding water is to use potable water of course. I would imagine that somewhere,sometime, some arsehole used slew-water and put all elevator companies on alert. If you use potable water there is no way to tell if water is added and I am sure that it is not illegal to do so. The problem is water quality and the concern is water quality. If that concern is removed there is no legal problem that I can see.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...