• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Economic question for gurus

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economic question for gurus

Just watched a report on business channel and suggestions are a 90 cent aussie dollar presume Canadian will do the same.
    Not that good for grain prices alas, errol whats the chances seems kinda likely to me.

Another quick one whats the difference between a deflationry pressure and a recession or both the same?

Big ticket machinery doesn't suffer deflation but machinery companies can be in recession???

Thanks guys

I have always wondered why my machinery depreciates by year but dealers equipment can sit for years at the same price?

Comment

One item I was mildly interested in and by now must have lot-rot setting in actually went up in price just sitting there for 2 years!

Concerning the CAD I would think 90 cents is some ways off.
      Last edited by farming101; Sep 12, 2017, 06:33.

Comment

When the talking heads on the TV are projecting something it is usually a sign of reversal. Most people have not got a clue they are using linear projection to predict the future. I am kind of surprised at the $Cdn move higher as oil is still in the toilet, but don't mind as I like being paid in a currency that is still worth something. High debt levels will drive a currency higher as most are short the currency and thus there is a demand. I think the B of C had to either raise rates are start on a quantitative easing program in order to continue to suppress them and they were not prepared to do that yet. The economy of Canuckistan needs ongoing stimulus otherwise unemployment would be around 25% right now. Almost every one works at a government job here directly or indirectly. Lots busy on infrastructure projects around Edmonton which are funded by government. Some of those projects are likely useful.

Comment

They're all going down the toilet some go 1st. Right now its the usd spiralling lower.

Comment

mallee . . . didn't see the Bank of Canada hiking rates 1/2% of late . . . didn't see the loonie heading to 82 1/2 cents U.S . . . didn't see Canada's 2nd quarter growth rate at a stellar 4.5%. How blind was I?

But the question now may be; is this BOC rate move and Canada surprising growth actually real or just government spending blitz and did the BOC make the right move to hike rates?

mallee . . . my opinion, there may be some 'smoke 'n mirrors' in government growth data and Canada's current perception to the international investor. Just take a look at the current pathway of the Toronto TSX index . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
              mallee . . . didn't see the Bank of Canada hiking rates 1/2% of late . . . didn't see the loonie heading to 82 1/2 cents U.S . . . didn't see Canada's 2nd quarter growth rate at a stellar 4.5%. How blind was I?

But the question now may be; is this BOC rate move and Canada surprising growth actually real or just government spending blitz and did the BOC make the right move to hike rates?

mallee . . . my opinion, there may be some 'smoke 'n mirrors' in government growth data and Canada's current perception to the international investor. Just take a look at the current pathway of the Toronto TSX index . . . .
              I don't like this assessment at all but unfortunately, I believe it is accurate.

False "growth" coming from government borrowing from the future.

Rather like a young, startup big-time farmer a couple of years ago here, who ran all fancy equipment, paid the highest rent, went the furthest for land - all on borrowed money.

The crash n burn was just as spectacular and lots of landlords were left holding the bag.

Was kind of funny to watch, really.

But it won't be funny to watch a whole country incinerate because of stupid running the show...

Disclaimer - no economic guru here, just the observation of a dumb, small-time farmer.

Comment

Raising rates was the right thing to do as it is high time to stop the economic repression of the last 7-8 years. A least rates are now closer to free market rates. Remember government never raises rates, it just stops the money printing for a brief while so we have a rate set by supply and demand rather than the printing press. Same was true in the 1980.s The so called 4.5% growth was entirely fake and the sol result of a borrowing binge by Ottawa, Alberta and Ontario, so the printing press will get fired up again in a couple of quarters.

Comment

Mallee, you ask about the difference, if there one between a recession and deflation. This is purely an opinion, but the next market setback could be severe and led by deflationary pressures.

This would be a one of a kind recession/depression as central bankers are essentially powerless against deflation. Certainly, recent hurricane devastation will trigger bouts of inflation, but given out of control debt levels, deflationary risks are very high (IMO).

Gold may struggle in this rare economic environment. To me, gold will rally, but continue to get slammed unexpectedly. A rally based on investor emotion has a short shelf-life.

Recessions of the past have never had to deal with deflation. This time it's different. And central bankers are scared that total collapse of their inflationary policies will lead to another banking crisis.

I don't mean to scare the kageebers out of agrivillers, but believe what lies ahead in financial markets may be quite unique.

Getting our debt load down is paramount. Debt is our undoing as a government and as a consumer.

Mallee, you bring up a very good question. But in my view, the pied piper debt game is nearing a major crossroads in markets.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                    Getting our debt load down is paramount. Debt is our undoing as a government and as a consumer.
                    Tell that to spending addicted Governments and consumers. Buy now on lay-away, having credit card debt and using credit to pay off credit, mortgaging appreciated value of real estate(housing). Leasing vehicles. Wanting it All NOW. Starter homes...what are those?(the kids' first house is what their parents hoped to retire into). Hot holidays every year. Etc, etc, etc.....

The ****ing bar is set very high

Comment

Mild deflation is good for the little guy as a basic standard of living becomes more affordable. Best thing that happened for lower income people has been lower gas prices the past couple of years. Deflation is not good for governments buying votes and large leveraged asset holder such as most farmers. I do think that we have started the 30 year bear market for assets: stocks, bonds, precious metals, real estate etc, as the bubble has to get deflated sometime. If one had said to use low interest rates to reduce debt at any time during the last five years you would have been considered a lunatic.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Tell that to spending addicted Governments and consumers. Buy now on lay-away, having credit card debt and using credit to pay off credit, mortgaging appreciated value of real estate(housing). Leasing vehicles. Wanting it All NOW. Starter homes...what are those?(the kids' first house is what their parents hoped to retire into). Hot holidays every year. Etc, etc, etc.....

The ****ing bar is set very high
                        the bar is about to clothesline them

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                          Mild deflation is good for the little guy as a basic standard of living becomes more affordable. Best thing that happened for lower income people has been lower gas prices the past couple of years. Deflation is not good for governments buying votes and large leveraged asset holder such as most farmers. I do think that we have started the 30 year bear market for assets: stocks, bonds, precious metals, real estate etc, as the bubble has to get deflated sometime. If one had said to use low interest rates to reduce debt at any time during the last five years you would have been considered a lunatic.
                          But Sask farmland defies all economic rules(especially economic sense and depreciation).... Buy buy buy because at these levels it can't go down, only up. It doesn't have a downside.

Comment

The combination of debt load and out of control taxation is just beginning. And interest rates have begun their journey ^.

The most important thing every farmer who has debt can do, is pay it down as fast as you can.

And stop spending. *

When everyone decides to sell their motor homes and campers and boats to pay their visas, there will be no buyers left.

Imho

pars.

greaterfool.ca is interesting
                            Last edited by parsley; Sep 13, 2017, 08:55.

Comment

USA cuts corp taxes - Justin does the opposite

White House Budget Director Says 15% Corporate Tax Rate Is ‘Realistic’: The Trump administration is still pushing for a 15 percent corporate tax rate, the White House's budget director, Mick Mulvaney, told CNBC on Wednesday. "It is realistic to work for it. There is absolutely no question," he said in an interview that aired on "Power Lunch." "We want to see a corporate rate that brings companies back to the United States and that brings companies here for the first time. This is an American jobs program by getting this corporate tax rate down to 15 percent," he added. President Donald Trump, who is holding a bipartisan meeting at the White House on Wednesday, urged Congress earlier in the day to act quickly on his tax reform plan, which has yet to be fully revealed. Mulvaney, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, said the president has been frustrated by how slowly things are going and is not looking at Washington through a "partisan lens" anymore. However, he said the 15 percent corporate rate was "central" to Trump's plans. That said, the White House wants the most "sweeping tax reform that can pass" and will work with Republicans and Democrats to get it done. (Source: CNBC)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...