• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the solar doubters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you're good with the billions and billions the non renewable industry gets with government meddling ?

Comment

And your good with the billions and billions oil sands, lumber and other "private" industries have gotten?
      Why should they be any different?

Comment

All depends who's invested in what industry they support or have shares in

Comment

Solar can work but would like to see the total carbon footprint analysis per megawatt of power and the additional analysis of the carbon footprint of battery storage and standby conventional power generation with hydro or carbon fuel based.

The energy of the sun is free but the silica and rare earth metals in panels plus the other mfg costs and implications must be a part of the analysis and comparisons.

There are a lot of people making a lot of money pushing the wind and solar agenda but the general public is ill informed about the true economic and environmental costs. I include myself as one who also does not understand the full analysis because I have yet to see accurate comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            With the addition of the transmission charges Alberta has very expensive electricity compared to most jurisdictions. Wouldn't it make sense to produce it on site and not have the transmission charges?
            Grassfarmer I remember reading an article comparing the monthly electrical bill across Canada. Alberta was about $113 Ontario was about $200 for the same amount of electricity. So I disagree.

Comment

Solar and wind are definitely the future but powering a pivot with solar is not very financially sound. I think the best way to get value out of a solar system right now is by taking your house off the grid or using solar energy to charge an electric car. With grid tie systems it's also important to note that you will not be generating any power in a power outage. This is called anti-islanding and prevents electricity from being put into the grid when the grid is down or being serviced.

In ontario they have time of use billing so when your array is operating at its peak the price of the electricity you are selling is also at its peak. This is where grid tie with battery would be an advantage as you would sell electricity at the highest price and charge a battery at night time when the price is the lowest.

The best way to figure it out is go to [URL="http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/index.php"]http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/index.php[/URL] and put in your array size and location to figure out how much energy it will generate over the year. If it can't pay for itself before the warranty of the equipment has expired it's probably not a great deal. Quick example..

7.5kw residential grid tie system
              3$/watt installed = $22,500
              Energy generated per year $400
              You will still have a monthly bill lets say you are net zero and generate the amount you use. Lets say you have a $100 monthly bill with $30 being the actual electricity consumption. So your system would save you $30 a month. $22,500/$30 = 750 months or 62.5 years. Assuming the price of power stays the same (which it probably won't) but you get the idea.

Comment

So how much tax should you be paying to the RM for a one million dollar investment?

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
                  I'm not a solar doubter by any means, but you have to look into it further. This $400,000 solar system produces $8,000 of energy per year. You do the math. Also any grid tied system will still have a power bill and if you've looked at one of those recently you'll notice that the electricity used is the smallest part of the bill. Alberta has some of the cheapest electricity (0.04/kwh or less) in the world so why spend lots of money to generate it?
                  Remember it really doesn't matter if it makes economic or financial sense it is the right thing to do. Besides we need to create jobs in China or the Philippines building solar panels. Unemployed Albertan's can feel good knowing that while they are busy restructuring debt or selling assets to survive that workers in other countries are prospering. Enjoy your day!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                    Grassfarmer I remember reading an article comparing the monthly electrical bill across Canada. Alberta was about $113 Ontario was about $200 for the same amount of electricity. So I disagree.
                    I remember blackpowder posting his recent power bill which I compared to mine. We were way less than half the AB price if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...