• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting the Caseih

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    Am told pre sieve only designed to take the first %10 of grain.
    We did some kill stalls in wheat this year to check even loading of shoe. Very important. Rotor concave setup affect that.
    Conditions varied through the day but loss always followed engine load. 80% was the magic number even in the 9240.
    Am told to start at the front of the machine when making adjustments. Makes sense. Kill stall enlightening.
    Different varieties of pod shatter vary a lot I'm told. Invigor more like a wht/bly setting.
    Choking bottom sieve chokes airflow.
    Tightening concaves usually augers it out faster.
    All good advice but I dont miss the factory top seive one bit. With the airfoil sample is great in all crops, and hardly throw anything out it allows more wind, more wind = higher cleaning capacity. One of the biggest problem of the factory seives is if they get a bit damaged or one side or area is opening more than others. That's were the wind goes and causes unequal wind loading. That causes blow out and forces one to run less wind. Fixed airfoil chaffer is perfectly symmetrical and increases cleaning ability by 25 to 30%. Used to be constantly hunting with the seives over the radios, changing settings. Now the only thing ever discussed is wind and rotor speed a couple times a day. Set the wind so the sample is slightly dirty and roll.
    Last edited by biglentil; Sep 11, 2021, 10:57.

Comment

We have a Bushel plus drop pan. I recommend it. It saved me $25000 in the barley this year alone! Barley has been tough to keep in the combine this year for all colors in our area. Canola has been easy to keep. Throwing over about 0.1 bu/ ac. We run NH combines so I can't help you much with Case settings. Everyone should use a drop pan of some sort.

Comment

Originally posted by Maver View Post
        We have a Bushel plus drop pan. I recommend it. It saved me $25000 in the barley this year alone! Barley has been tough to keep in the combine this year for all colors in our area. Canola has been easy to keep. Throwing over about 0.1 bu/ ac. We run NH combines so I can't help you much with Case settings. Everyone should use a drop pan of some sort.
        I built my own electromagnetic drop pan at one time, had a schur too, now I use a deep dish hard rubber floor mat when grain carting. I chuck it like a frisbee under the combine. Combine operators dont need to stop and waste time resetting pans. I use round hand seives to clean the sample. Weigh the sample on a small portable scale. There is combine loss website ive used to enter the data.

Even easier I keep a cordless leaf blower in the grain cart. I'll check behind the combines occasionally by blowing the chaff away on the ground the width of the cut and inspecting. In canola other day I couldn't find more than a single bb or two per square foot.

Also if you have top seive out give it a light coat of red spray paint after a few days you'll have a good idea how your shoe is being loaded with material. Then adjust concave pinch point with the hangers according.
        Last edited by biglentil; Sep 11, 2021, 12:24.

Comment

Static electricity. Saw a combine with cables connected to the pivot points on the seives and a chain dragging off the back axle. The guy said it was for combineing canola. And that was before they started making combines out of Tupperware.

Comment

A quick update we got back in the field yesterday for a few hours.

I put Mad concaves slotted concaves in the first module, this worked much better than the Sunnybrook max thrash I had there before. Ended up with my rotor speed at 700, clearance at 24, pre sieve at 2 which gave me roughly a 3/32 opening. Top sieve 16, bottom sieve 12, fan at 650 and straw spreader at 580. I tried lower speeds on the spreader but the straw was a bit tough and I was concerned it might plug. I am quite happy with the losses now. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

The Mad concaves do a great job, if you look on their website they even have recommended settings.

Comment

More good info on this thread than all others combined.

Comment

All done our canola now, for what worked for me on our 9230 in pod shatter varieties.
                  Concave 18
                  Rotor 750
                  Fan 670
                  Pre sieve 1
                  Top sieve 12
                  Bottom sieve 9
                  Spreader 480
                  Last edited by Sodbuster; Sep 15, 2021, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    More good info on this thread than all others combined.
                    Pun intended?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...