• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aust year and weather

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aust year and weather

Gday all.
    Saw by my pics we are in a garden of eden at my patch, which is unusual we are usually on the dry side and our soil type heightens the issue.

But Australia wide has be be below average at best, and some serious frosts have occurred a lot of stem frost meaning the heads have been frosted in the boot.

And weather pattern looks shocking for frosts over next two weeks those areas already frosted may get a double whammy and those that have missed may get belted.

My ranch we are as history has shown we get touched up but not really wipeouts but shall see depending on severity. Lots of nervous farmers.

Other sad thing market will not react in the slightest on world stage but will domestically to a degree and possibly canola market may move.

Some lentil crops are yellow in frosted areas suggestions are they will recover with rain.

Mother nature can be a difficult beast at times.

See most grain markets are inching higher harvest lows in a week ago perhaps??

A frost would help us. But I don't wish that on anyone.

Those pictures you posted were showing pretty lush crops. Hope it goes well for you.

Comment

The markets are talking about Australia, I was thinking of asking you Mallee

AM markets: dryness, frost spur Australia wheat price rally
      ... and get attention in other markets too. Chicago wheat prices rise, although a spring wheat "dumpster fire" continues

Comment

Is frost typical for this time of year? It is the right time for it here and was close last night.

Comment

Its tough to wrap my head around your growing season Malle. Totally ass backwards of here. Seed after your scorching summer typically into dust. Then hope for rain, spring frosts not really as issue, coldest part of growing season about now, harvest starts mid october. Or am I way off?

Comment

Perfect scenario. Rain early april, our autumn, weeds emerge and are sprayed with glypho/mixes, and or paraquat mixes.

Canola usually sown late mid to late april as well as other legumes except peas.

More weed control if necessary and cereals wheat barley oats, and peas etc sown during may target finish is always 1st week of june if possible. Weather usually still ok low to mid 20s c.

Some fert spreading starts 50 kg per ha of urea or soa in late june july. Urea on cereals july august again around 50kg and canola may get a second dose. July coldest month mid winter day temps 15 to 20 c frosty mornings happen. And all crop spraying happens in july august cereals legumes and canola.

august still cool but often in sept weather warms today for instance is 16c wed, but Monday will be 25c Crops are just poking heads the early ones sown early may late may and june not yet. Canola full flower.

Biggest frost risk window is basically now for next three weeks.

Day length during growing season in june july 7am till 5pm say but get longer in late aug sept now light at 6.15 and sun goes down 6.30pm.

hope that helps

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...