• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperature and Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature and Canola

Is it safe to store at 28 degrees?

That seems pretty hot to me. How big is the bin, what's the moisture? Can you aerate it? If not it might be worth pulling a load out after a while. Google "safe storage of canola chart".

Comment

Stuff we are doing now might be warm but at a well cured 7% moisture shes fine to sit warm until we get some low single digit nights. Then we can run the fans and start to cool it down to 4 degrees C. Everything on the farm infact.
      Last edited by biglentil; Sep 2, 2017, 22:08.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Is it safe to store at 28 degrees?
        NO, it's not

Comment

We've been cooling/aerating ours.... just good practice. I've read it is also better to take the temp down in stages so it isn't alot cooler than the ambient air temp outside the bin. aka... try not to get it to 8 degrees when average temps are alot warmer than that. I would think fifteen degrees would be a good target for this time of year.(?)

Comment

Yes farma , that is a very good way to air "condition" warm canola 👍👍

Comment

Canola has a harvested sweat after binning, good idea to blow cool air and remove that too.
              The bigger the bin, more risk.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                We've been cooling/aerating ours.... just good practice. I've read it is also better to take the temp down in stages so it isn't alot cooler than the ambient air temp outside the bin. aka... try not to get it to 8 degrees when average temps are alot warmer than that. I would think fifteen degrees would be a good target for this time of year.(?)
                Good advice moisture migrates from the centre of uncured seed and creates sweat. Run it for a few nights after binning and a few nights a couple weeks after. Then cool er right down for winter. Better safe then sorry. Dont forget to run garden hose to auger when hauling in.
                Last edited by biglentil; Sep 3, 2017, 08:10.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...