• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	777694

Well another week and the system above us is in full strength like it was all summer. Hot Dry and Windy. Totals for the year range from 3.2 in to 3.75 for the high. Yep it has been one strange year. Funny thing if your looking for a positive out of this year it isn't this useless crop were growing. Its the fact almost all of our fields on our farm will be back to 155 Acre or better quarters come fall of 2017. Its hard to believe that just last fall some quarters were 89 acres and the rest 4 to 6 in of water. Even yesterday to the north of us i sprayed a half that in 2010 we couldn't seed because it was so wet Was sprayed to 145 acres. One deep slough. But how fast mother nature can reclaim land in our area. One island we use to laugh about hasn't been able to seed since 2007, their is willows and even seen a poplar or two started growing. Sprayed out will disc down later in fall.

So maybe the dry year was what our area needed, Yields will be down but still better than other areas. But its the reclamation of land. I figure some 1200 acres are back for 2018 and i didn't even have to go rent some more.

Were Back in the Game.

Ok on politics i have just one word. Lock up the useless shit from the West side and throw the key away.

JT your just a idiot who is going to take us so far in debt but you'll get a seat at the Un for life.

Name:	21230819_2099991653359982_8001728738400927867_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	777696

Ok here is the Crop Report for End of August.

Were 20 % done and Wheat harvest has started in our area about a day or two ago. Its lights every where.

HRS, most have finished spraying or swathing and harvest is in full force in our area. Its no Swan River food bank wheat (90, 45) but its going to do real good considering. So far we have just harvested our poorest driest wheat and were surprised by its performance. HRS is the one crop in our area that seemed to handle the heat. Now its funny if a area turned rather quick when you hit those with the yield monitor they drop down real fast. But others are right up their with the best. But some subscription farming services would of had placed extra fert in areas that did real good in wet years that this year produced piss all. and some Wet areas that had done poor in the past do excellent this year would have been short fert. This is why we quit it back in the 80s Because one dry year screwed up all our placement. That dry year continued for 4 more.

Soy has started to shut down exactly a week after the cool two night temps, coincidence or was it time. Yields will be down as the crop needed a real august rain. Some new guys will be disappointed. Odd guy might be rather happy. Time will tell. But the crop is definitely in final stage.

Oats some early seeded, real early seeded is coming off and yields are good but probably 30% of normal. Later has turned white and probably will be lighter as it ran out of moisture. Swathing is in full force.

Barley is basically rapped up in our area. Late yielded better than early but still off last years highs by 30% Early should all go malt late will be close and any real late no. Real late ran out of moisture. Some green feed seeded July 1st is being cut now and you can see it needed one more rain in August.
    Last real rain was August 2 for our area.

Durum only a few fields and quality should be their but yield is similar to HRS.

Flax is being swathed and sprayed in the area as it came in with the heat.

Canola is in full swath mode or full Spray mode. One observation is our area has a Section or two of liberty thats right up their with the big boys not strait cut. Another half to the north or RR Older variety is in the same ball park and further north a Dekalb half or better is also in the Club. Funny thing the big experiment of Sell all swathers and strait cut all Canola will have poorer yields this year. Seeded early first rain was about a week to late and second was off on filling. Yes the seeds will be a bit bigger as all canola seed our area will be smaller. I like sell the swather for one reason its a good product to use on your last 2, 6 or 12 quarters depending on size of farm. If we get late swathing and have a panic mode this is a great fit. Also if we want to strait cut its available as a management tool if it starts to rain. Disease was a non issue this year and the test told us that early at time of spraying. Im sold on doing the test after two years, but common sense also is needed if your wet and its misty and damp then yea you have a issue developing. hot dry and windy nothing wants to live. Also no moss on the ground like past years.

Name:	IMG_1253.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	777697 one in a thousand.

Oh and on the club root finding in Sask. How hard has that guy pushed his seeding rotation. Canola Canola Canola just F#$Ks it up for the rest of us.

So im glad i kept the swather, wasn't going to sell it any way. Its a tool in your tool box some times it works some times it doesn't and some times its the right fit or not. Next year it might be the cats ass as varieties improve. Early ones had issues newer are better.

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	777695

Pea harvest is done and for some it was ok not even close to best years but still will do others are way way down in 20 plus range.'

Pastures are in free fall as no rain has dried up most. Lots of guys looking for extra bales if they can find them. Hay guys are almost sold out.

So as another week slips through the hour glass for the summer of min to no rain, harvest is in full swing in our area lets hope the rain stays away for a good three to four more weeks then it can let go and give us a drink.

Yea watch it will start now.

Keep safe as its just a crop that they are going to take and the ones at home are way more important.

Mallee have a great trip home, till next time.

Canola done....27-28 bu/ac. Oooooooo bin buster.

Flax next....waiting. thin stand guess-timate twenty-ish.

Pastures are pathetic.

It will rain sooner or later and will have to if we even stand a chance at 2018 production.
    Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 31, 2017, 06:46.

Comment

The industry report.....

Durum prices up 10 a ton be at St Lawrence to 444 a tonne

Steady at the west coast at 378

Wheat down a bit at 340

Prices on prairies dropping like a rock....only about a minus 4.50 a bushel basis.

Railways are moving 700000 tonnes a week on average...

Railcars sitting....head office couldn't correlate a dry summer to an early harvest so their movement isn't booked until later....

Best I could do for this morning. ...

Dumb****led farmer....TM....

Comment

I agree i feel like the Dumbest f#$Ker farmer out their. No ambition to add acreage no ambition to farm bigger. This is a stupid useless occupation that every one else makes a killing and we farmers fight amongst our selves that farming is so great. Its a joke USA banks are warning that the Cushion in Land values that helped most USA farms keep afloat is almost done. Big problem in Farming south of line its less than two years away for Canada. Keep the dream alive.
        Not much cushion left for farmers. The CEO of a farm credit USA organization shares the concerns of many in agriculture saying farmers are losing what’s left of their financial cushion. Rod Hebrink with Compeer Financial–which serves Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois– says that’s especially true in the grain sector, reports Brownfield.

Lets look at Canada Insane Rent, Insane Costs for Production from Seed to Fert, Insane Equipment costs. But I'm suppose to farm more and work harder to support all above I'm told.

Comment

SF3

Do you think they are fudging the 2017 production numbers in both Canada and the US. ....seems odd but grain isn't moving....elevators have full cars or empty cats sitting beside them and the elevator isn't full....not bad for lineups....

Most guys can put this crop away in their existing bins.....might be tougher to pull uncontracted or unpriced grain later....

Every elevator is getting ready to move canola....likely priced earlier....but is it 30 percent of a farmers crop or has that contract moved to 60 percent of his production due to lower yields?

Specials have started with immediate delivery....soon a price increase....canola pipeline must be near empty....

Comment

Rent? A neighbor is packing it in...he told me he had about 19 written offers (he placed an ad in the small local rag). Must be some optimism out there. "Heard" of some pretty good offers for Slum of the Ghetto dirt. I'm too lazy to rent any dirt but not too lazy to buy more!

SF3...you have options.....dump the dirt you rent (if you rent any) or rent yours out.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 31, 2017, 07:58.

Comment

Talked with a trader yesterday, he said commodity prices will continue to slump. No demand, no this, no that, will have prices soften yet further. All and all he said this is an average to slightly above average crop. The area that was hit by drought is smaller, and won't affect prices going forward. There's areas where production is above average. They will make up for the ones that crop is well below average ... I guess.
              Farmers saying "we are pleasantly surprised" what we are getting after this kind of yr doesn't support prices going forward.
              No surprises here!!!!!

Comment

All canola cut.plus 150 of wheat down.green low spots..need a few days to dry down.first canola cut 2 weeks ago tests dry but center of swath straw is still green.
                Lots of bly being done.neighbors claim high yields.
                Prices will be range bound with a few blips for as long as you farm.

Comment

Farma, any idea of the range in numbers your neighbour is receiving to rent his land?

Hear of any "inserts" to a cash rent contract? ie; Lowering the acreage number on a quarter to allow for the potential loss due to flooding in future years. Some kind of compensation for reclaiming flooded land, bring it back into production for the landlord. Land lord having the right to reclaim flooded land after renter has harvested his crop, hence increasing the acreage for following years.

just wondering

Comment

Nah staying at this size but going to start working for myself and forget about all the zing. Young bucks can fight for pennies of income. Oh a guy who is paying 60 to 70 acre rent his peas are running 22 x 8 yea he's making money. Can rebuild totally combines for way way way way less than inflated new price. Rest rest is almost new and full quarters will be nice.

Now the stats can canola number is kind of f$&king funny 16.9 will be the best it can get. I know most have been taught the new math but really this is nuts for math.

Again bullshiy old report.

Comment

Big zee that statement is so full of shit by that advisor if the prime new canola area the last ten years of palliser triangle had 55 average and the normal canola had their average crops and Manitoba has similar yields the last ten years then you take the pallliser canola yield and drop by 50% and fringe drought by 30% and then the sown acreage with Harrow bar that's now suffered little rain. What is Manitoba growing 200 BPA canola to make up the difference.

Just saying new math really is fun.

Best it will be with no frost 17.5

Comment

"Lets look at Canada Insane Rent, Insane Costs for Production from Seed to Fert, Insane Equipment costs. "

Holy crap that is optimistic, don't tell the young farmers/renters/buyers!

Comment

Danny, Without hearing the numbers from the horse's mouth what I am going to repeat is only hearsay. I saw the owner at Regina the other day and chatted, he told me how many offers he got but I didn't have the balls to ask him what price range there was. But one guy did tell me he offered $70\ac on a half section. I am thinking the offers would be anywhere from $60 and up, ....to where I don't know. I heard it said the landlord wanted to give the local young fellows a chance at it, good on him. This dirt is less than 5 miles from our farm.

Comment

Guys still tripping over them selves at over $100 cash rent . It's retarded

Comment

I'll grow a set and ask him next time I see him.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...