• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone within a hour of Calgary?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone within a hour of Calgary?

Might accumulate a spare day by Wednesday. Leave early evening Wednesday.

Updates from home suggesting a turnaround in areas that needed it most.
    Our patch has been ok all year but suggestions are now that Australia will have a well below average crop but not a disaster.

Kinda what I'm thinking I've seen in my travels. Cattle guys seem to be bearing the brunt of decreased rainfall.

Another thought comment, how do guys up peace river area Dawson's creek etc ever get there crops dry enough to harvest, I'm sure they do but all stages of development up there, and thought to oneself geez this is gonna take at least 3 weeks to mature, canola and wheat but presume reality is with day length it happens.

Another comment wow to the amount of new combines tractors in dealers yards, are they sold or on consignment, and lots of seemingly good low hour second hand gear.

Another bullshit tongue in cheek comment, does anyone in USA Canada actually ever consume salad or vegetables lol, I'm a carnivore as well but like my greens and veg.

Cheers guys

Better quantify my comments in case I've offended anyone by suggesting it's not to bad.
    Yep saw plenty of poor crops between Calgary and lethbridge and also border crossing at Raymond Montana ?? To Regina plenty of not so good crops in those areas.

Comment

Lol Mallee....in most cases, carnivores eat herbivores. Maybe its a survival mechanism we have built in to us.

Hope you enjoyed your visit to Canada. Hope you have a safe trip home to the Land Down Under.

Comment

Mallee, you really took the grand tour and saw a whole bunch of different regions, a lot more than I have seen anyway. I was possitive that we would be done harvest by Labour Day but we are stalled out. Canola is all stages so it is kind of a funny harvest. Other years was peddle to the metal.

Comment

Calgary turner valley rolling hills/brooks plevna Montana north to Regina hum bolt Saskatoon Dawson's creek back to Calgary via grande cache jasper Banff but a day to kill Wednesday as mentioned.

Hmm presume the wheat market is grinding lower wifi internet sporadic at times surprising in a go ahead country like Canada but tyranny of distance mountains I guess.

And know I only had a glimpse of USA but rail seems alive and well down there and yep I'm acutely aware of your rail issues here in Canada.

What's happened to Aussie and Canadian dollars both a tad over 80c last time I looked has something happened to weaken green back?

Biggest steak I've seen in 32 ounce. I stick to my 12 bite size morsel

Comment

Sorry mate I'm 3hr north of cowtown but you may see some different country out by drumheller,some real good land at red deer just about 1 hr north. Sounds like you enjoyed your stay good on you .

Comment

We are 1 hour 40 minutes NW of Calgary airport. Close to the mountains and west country, on the edge of farmland. Mixed farm, likely a smaller scale than what you've been seeing. And my wife insists that every meal includes copious quantities vegetables, even breakfast. If you're interested, email: jvw1976@hotmail.com And I'll respond with a phone # and directions.
              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Aug 28, 2017, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                Kinda what I'm thinking I've seen in my travels. Cattle guys seem to be bearing the brunt of decreased rainfall......
                Yep, isn't that always the case. They need to eat every day, rain or no rain. A 365 day commitment not a summer job!

Comment

I will be straight cutting canola 1:15hr south of Calgary if your interested

Comment

I'm about an hour North of Calgary. Don't do any crop farming myself but can absolutely be a bit of a tour guide and give rough numbers for the area. Harvest is just kicking in up here but out towards Drum is in full swing.

Don't have any plans for tomorrow so let me know. I was in Australia years ago so could probably even ask you some questions!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...