• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Memories....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
    Anyone on here remember seeing or helping with the stooking and threshing machine days?

Now that is going back a long way.
    Oats was done on this farm in late 50's. I can remember the outfit, the binder, Mom and Dad stooking, too young to help.

Comment

Going to make memories....in my effort to partially retire, have sold the air seeder and JD combine...the 30 acres I need for cattle development will now be handled by a 1960 468 Cockshutt combine that I just bought...runs like a sewing machine....my neighbor has restored their 1950 square baler with a Wisconsin engine on it...neighbors gave me a cockshutt steel wheeled drill (under shed) that will seed the 30 acres...this winter restoration begins on a Massey 30 and a JD Model R to haul some gravity flow wagons that were common back awhile...still have to find.
      Need rims and grill for Massey 30, if anyone has a lead....

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        Unloading on the go when the truck driver is eleven years old and can't see over the truck steering wheel, not to mention the fact that the gas was being pushed by one big toe. i was driving tractor for chucking bales when I was 7, and they still yelled at me when I drove over a bale or two. Drove that Allis Chalmers WD45 right into the hay stack. Bet you younguns never heard of an AC, not an air conditioner!
        Sure do remember with a handle like mine. Grew up on a45 and now have a spanky fancy one just because. Pulled an 11ft MF #30pto swather with it
        I was 12 when I first ran the 137 cockshutt. 40 bushel tank no power steering and gave her an oil change after each quarter. Moved up to a428. What an improvement and still have one in the collection that works like a charm Those were the days

Comment

I thought I knew most of the cockshutts, but 428 and 468 are new to me. I am guessing they are gas jobbies. I think it would be alot of fun running across 30 acres with one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
            I thought I knew most of the cockshutts, but 428 and 468 are new to me. I am guessing they are gas jobbies. I think it would be alot of fun running across 30 acres with one of those.
            For fun the 428 still does 5 acres of oats every year. More than enough. But we used to do as much as 500 per year in the day. Never heard of a 468 but 137 was made for 2 years in the mid fifties and 428 to about 1963. They were 32 inch cylinder machines and 37 inch in walker
            As far as fun we use the 428 at the of harvest and usually have a little party. Sometimes the 5 acres takes a while

Comment

Originally posted by perfecho View Post
              Going to make memories....in my effort to partially retire, have sold the air seeder and JD combine...the 30 acres I need for cattle development will now be handled by a 1960 468 Cockshutt combine that I just bought...runs like a sewing machine....my neighbor has restored their 1950 square baler with a Wisconsin engine on it...neighbors gave me a cockshutt steel wheeled drill (under shed) that will seed the 30 acres...this winter restoration begins on a Massey 30 and a JD Model R to haul some gravity flow wagons that were common back awhile...still have to find.
              Need rims and grill for Massey 30, if anyone has a lead....
              We should go custom with 2 machines

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
                Oats was done on this farm in late 50's. I can remember the outfit, the binder, Mom and Dad stooking, too young to help.
                That's interesting to me. In terms of getting inside toilets and rural electricity Canada was behind Scotland by quite a ways but we must have run binders and threshing mills later than you did over here. We were some of the last to binder/thresh, doing so until 1975 (were only growing 20-30 acres of oats on a livestock farm)
                So my older brother operated the binder as a teenager while Dad drove the tractor. I helped stooking sheaves and helping out with threshing as a kid - usually forking straw away and checking when the chaff bags were full.
                Old Albion binder was a 6 foot cut - was a horse one converted to tractor. Our threshing mill was different to the ones you have here in that it was wood on the outside versus tin. Maybe a Ransomes? I dismantled it for bolts and other useful parts when I left school - should probably have put it in a museum.

Comment

Story about party lines.
                  Combine broke down about 10:30 so back home to phone the dealer half hour away. Dad gets on the line and young guy and the neighbors daughter talking.
                  So this gets repeated several times dads imPatient half hour goes by.
                  Finally dad says look son I know his girl she s a keeper in every respect. If you like her say your sorry already and offer her supper and a drive in show next Friday night because I have to make a call for parts sorry. And if you do go out if you ever harm her not only will her dad hunt you down so will i okey!!
                  So they hang up and dad calls re dealer for parts he offered to get the part that night but dad said I just wanted to know if you had one it's damp we ll do it in he morning. And by the way no after hours charge was quoted. lol

So morning comes and at about six am
                  The phone rings it's our ring and the other neighbor on be line says hey the wife is heading into town his morning do you need anything. Hahaha never phoned any other day but I guess just by luck he phoned to offer that day. Lol.
                  Anyhow good neighbors and times.
                  Those two got married and told that story on their wedding. It was their first official date at the movies. Hahaha

Comment

My apologies...it is a 428...looked at the operators manual, haven't brought her home yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLXL1C7uKnY

The clincher when I was looking, was my uncles had owned and operated a 428 way back...so I am sure I will have lots of help when I get to it.

Have vague memories of a threshing crew and grandparents place that I spent my summers and weekends on....my grandfather was quite a horseman and recall helping feed cows with a rack....a little of him mowing with a team. Although I have a team, don't seem to get the time.....some memories are meant to stay that way.

Comment

Yeah, WD, a couple of machines would be fun..........wanted an open station just because......

Comment

OMG...party lines. I'm old enough to remember them. Just tell the young people that they have to share their service with afew other people and they can all listen in on their conversations and texts and see what they're browsing on the net....can you imagine!

And ya, shoveling the corners of the square wooden bins full, on the bright side that same grain didn't have to be shoveled out but the last stuff that gravity couldn't get out sure as hell wasn't fun....and then the rods/wires/cables holding that damn bin together. Ever stop to think the new high capacity seed grain carts and just plain grain carts hold as much and more! Tridems trailers would hold it all too.....and then there were the one tons used to empty them old bins then came along three tons and having to shovel until it was FULL because we were too stupid to stop for a rest... "too old soon, to late smart"

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...