• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Memories....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Memories....

I remember seeing many more equipment lights out in the fields even though they weren't much brighter than a candle. More neighbors....now "crews" come in and clean off square sections in short order...then they're gone.

Way more yard lights.

Truckers reading books using the cab interior lights or flashlight.

The orange "glow" of the exhaust manifold of the old gas powered engine of an IH 403... (NO CAB...**** me...had the reddest eyes in school----not "high" either).

Wooden bins and seven inch augers(even remember the six inch). One and three ton trucks.

Combines crawling around the fields. ....had to line them up with a power pole to see if they were moving at times.

Freezing to death on a super 92 on halloween still haunts me.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
      Freezing to death on a super 92 on halloween still haunts me.
      Some how I burst out laughing after reading that. ..sorry!

Comment

Mind you straight cutting wheat in six inches of snow was fun in the tr70.

Comment

Holy cow yes no cab on 410 Massey combining barley I m sure the wind changed the wrong way each swath. Shirt done up almost can't breath. But when the wind right the old straight pipe and the cool night breeze what an experience the noise the smells I can feel it like yesterday.

City relatives come out helping out trucking and augering into square bin and hauling and hauling. I said hey how much in the second bin? Oh we Haven't fillled the first one. Hahaha went to yard and grain runnning out the back. City folk!!!!hahaha funny until picking it up with no grain vac.

Neighbors helping neighbors don't even have to be asked.

A little further back hauling grain in no hoist dumping with the lift at the elevator Always some other neighbor there to chat with.

Baling hay riding the stooker for dad. There's a nice job on a hot day!! Hahaha
          But the smell of that hay. Wow

Comment

While truckkng grain, losing my bearings in the field at night and kinda not knowing where I was for a bit...especially on the quarters that had bushes on them.

Flashing the combine lights to let the trucker know you're full.
            Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 26, 2017, 23:40.

Comment

On that hateful night i was 15, it was october 31, combining 80 bushel barley the ducks had destroyed, below zero with 30 mile wind, dad finally said stop, i drove us home in a 69 chev, i was so frozen took both hands to turn the ignition key off. Do i care if my boys dont farm, yes but my breed of people is mostly gone. Maybe for the best, i spent the next 30 years suffering on cats in the oilpatch to make payments so they dont have to.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                City relatives come out helping out trucking and augering into square bin and hauling and hauling. I said hey how much in the second bin? Oh we Haven't fillled the first one. Hahaha went to yard and grain runnning out the back. City folk!!!!hahaha funny until picking it up with no grain vac.
                Lol...I think that happened to just about everyone....but usually only once.

Another good memory, clear starry nights and sometimes if you're lucky a dazzling colorful display of active northern lights.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                  Lol...I think that happened to just about everyone....but usually only once.

Another good memory, clear starry nights and sometimes if you're lucky a dazzling colorful display of active northern lights.
                  Now that brings back some memories.
                  First time got to steer a combine, Massey 21, now that was a joy to ride on, with a bit of old canvas around the operator platform trying to suck in some heat from the motor down below.

Comment

When we describe the conditions and some of our experiences I have to wonder what kept us there. Maybe the hope of things improving and getting better.....which they did!

Happy harvest, take care and work safe! Good night folks.

I would sure like to hear from as many of you as possible. Stories about the good, the bad, and the ugly.....I'm sure everyone has a story to tell. And the young farmers too!

Comment

Harvest

My cousin and me, both 12 years old, running the 2 ton grain trucks, moving augers to the next wooden bin, hotter than Hades, pull rope start B&S that didn't want to start, and hot and muggy, looks like rain coming in, sun disappears, combine plugged, gotta get her dug out, dusty and mosquitoes thick as hair on a dog.

Comment

This is way back way way back. My brothers and me playing in the field as my parents harvested. We would take some small spoon or knife or what ever was on the truck floor and each time we stopped the harvest truck mom would let us out and we would pretend the straw was trees and each would cut out a area to build their farm on. We were like 7, 4 and 2. Then the old GMC with a foot starter pedal would fill and off to the yard we would go.

Happy times as a kid. Harvest the whole family would always come out on different weeks and help with harvest. Great food and family.

Freezing on a Deere 55, Engine was in the back and you stuck out front. Goggles were a luxury.

Comment

The lever steering on the ih swather, impossible heat and sun, dust and bugs. The worst was the Kotia green dust that still makes me crawl.

Yes lost at night, tree bluffs, in and out, round and round, which way is town? Where's the trucker? Pulling the lever in the 806 to swing the auger out (it was awesome to have folding augers, many were fixed in place then fixed as the new operators forgot about the poles and trees the need to go backwards around them). Reaching down to pull the lever ( auger swing) when it was the unload auger.

Yes the augers, pull starting them with the belts.
                          Doors leaking grain.

The light evenings with the full moons, and the cold, windy dark as dark can be cloudy nights.
                          Last edited by Rareearth; Aug 27, 2017, 07:53.

Comment

I also remember cutting a hanky to make strips and your jack knife to push between the cracks on the door so it didn't leak.

Comment

I also remember cutting a hanky to make strips and your jack knife to push between the cracks on the door so it didn't leak.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...