• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This can't happen anymore

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This can't happen anymore

We will loose our pesticides if we keep doing crap like this...

I keep saying either we need to police ourselves or the government and the public will do it for us. And that will not be a good time!

[URL="http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/seech-lake-manitoba-contamination-1.4263269"]http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/seech-lake-manitoba-contamination-1.4263269[/URL]

Another old quote I will never forget from a custom ground sprayer guy "Its got to land somewhere."

Govt says its still safe to swim, so who cares? No harm to the public. At least the farmer knows the Matador is working.

The other bonus is, there will be plenty of vacant spots at that campground next year.😎

Comment

It is odd there are no other responses to this post. This is serious.
      What happened to all the super pro-chemical / science farmers on AV?

Comment

Aerial sprayers ....sheesh. .....

Not good....it pisses me off that they are allowed to fly over the lakes ever.....

Comment

What's to defend Hobby. It pissed me off as much as you. It is wrong and someone should be held accountable.

Comment

Just because one person saw a plane, doesn't mean that he poisoned the lake. It is natural for animals to die, especially in late summer when the lake is green. Our lake, Echo is case in point.

Our neighbour used to wash out his ground sprayer at the edge of Wascana Creek for many years. You can't put all the blame on spray planes, though they shouldn't be flying over lakes, towns, farmyards where they aren't spraying.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              Just because one person saw a plane, doesn't mean that he poisoned the lake. It is natural for animals to die, especially in late summer when the lake is green. Our lake, Echo is case in point.

Our neighbour used to wash out his ground sprayer at the edge of Wascana Creek for many years. You can't put all the blame on spray planes, though they shouldn't be flying over lakes, towns, farmyards where they aren't spraying.

And how did matador end up in the water. Agricultural pesticide. Reflects badly on all of us

Comment

Can someone help me on this?

Seech lake contains approx 4675946505.603 liters of water. I arrived at that number from the following information which I found online:

Seech Lake is a natural lake that covers a surface area of 0.61 km2 (0.24 mi2), has an average depth of 4 meters (12 feet).

MSDS from syngenta says eco acute toxicity .24ppb.

What is the minimum amount of matador required to reach .24ppb in a water volume of 4675946505 litres?

Comment

11 litrea to poison the whole lake... But that's not how currents work and the density of the chem will concentrate it in a specific area of the lake and a specific water depth.

Comment

Beginning to question intelligence of aerial app guys, guy out of rosetown 5 or 6 years ago had his main chemical suction line fall off. 2 inch stream of water and insecticide running out of plane and he decided to head back to airstrip to repair it. Flew right over colony next to us. Soaked one guy down and damned near killed him. Not a word was ever said and colony never did anything about it. Owner of business was pissed at me for calling him and his operators assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                      11 litrea to poison the whole lake... But that's not how currents work and the density of the chem will concentrate it in a specific area of the lake and a specific water depth.
                      The active ingredient is .91g/l so it should have floated on top, and is water soluble to .0005mg/l so I'm not sure what would happen.

In any case, half life is ONLY 20days in water, so it should be good by next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                        And how did matador end up in the water. Agricultural pesticide. Reflects badly on all of us
                        Sumdum, I see your point. It is not necessarily the spray plane that Contaminated the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
                          Sumdum, I see your point. It is not necessarily the spray plane that Contaminated the lake.
                          That sounds like a pretty shallow lake, 12 feet, more like a slough maybe. This time of year, she might be pretty green, lacking oxygen. Echo Lake is many times deeper and last weekend it was green as pea soup on our side and dead fish wash up on shore along with crayfish and all kinds of lake creatures. Who are we going to blame, the plane that flew over last year?

This sounds like CBC and CNN needed a story.

Comment

Strange

With this dry weather not likely there would be runoff from a premerge. Or have they received substantial precip?
                            Not likely premerge is aerial app, but could be.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              That sounds like a pretty shallow lake, 12 feet, more like a slough maybe. This time of year, she might be pretty green, lacking oxygen. Echo Lake is many times deeper and last weekend it was green as pea soup on our side and dead fish wash up on shore along with crayfish and all kinds of lake creatures. Who are we going to blame, the plane that flew over last year?

This sounds like CBC and CNN needed a story.
                              m

Algae blooms and lack of oxygen happen in many areas, fish, and insects die, that is nature. This does not explain the matador residue in the water.
                              It is a sure sign of reckless use or handling by somebody. I seldom care what the others are doing but this is newsworthy. Hopefully they can do some sleuthing, find the culprit and slap a very large fine on them.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...