• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On farm seed treating for 2018, big questions!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On farm seed treating for 2018, big questions!!

We are looking at upgrading our seed treating equipment to treat seed on our farm and for our seed customers.

Part of my due diligence was to understand the regulatory issues and compliance requirements to treat for other farmers.

This took me to the AWSA that will oversee regulations and compliance.

The bottom line is that all seed treatments that are designated as commercial starting in 2018 will only be made available to accredited commercial seed treating operations.

The draft list of such treatments is yet to be published.

I asked if treatments such as Insure from BASF are on the draft list as of now and they said yes.

The list will be out in weeks.

I should note that as of June of this year there are also new regulatory requirements out there for all portable seed treaters covering off the mobile guys and retail locations that were going around and treating on farm.

I would suggest that almost 95% of seed treated in our region is treated on farm by farmers.

Losing the ability to get seed treatments and treating seed on farm with the equipment of our choice will not be good.

I remember the debate when these regulatory issues were coming forward, but do we understand the implications for the next growing season?

For farmers sake I would hope that policy and regulation would encourage the higher utilization of seed treatments to prevent disease and improve agronomics but not at a much higher cost due to regulation and regulatory creep.

What have others heard on this matter?

sounds like the industry is pushing this to reduce farmers ability to use their own seed.

Comment

Who's idea is this.

Comment

There are no commercial bulks seed treatment facilities within a 150 mile radius of us and we are in a significant production area.

I have made some inquiries as to who determines what seed treatments are considered to be retailed to farms for on farm treatment or if they will only be made available only to commercial treaters.

I would think such decisions would have huge implications for volume of sales.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
          Who's idea is this.
          Crop Life Canada and it members created the Accredited Seed Treatment Operations Standards, and while the website states that only certified commercial treatment operators will have access to apply designated seed treatment products.

This was to be effective Jan 1 2017 according to http://awsa.ca/about-us/ website but this list of products will only come out shortly.

At this site you will also find the new standards for mobile treaters.

Comment

Talked to one of the treatment reps for the chem companies.

They have submitted their recommendations for commercial only treatments and they are only treatments designated for canola, corn and soybeans.

I suspect the other companies may be in same position as the majority of their sales are to farmers direct.

Though the caveat was they are uncertain if their recommendation will be accepted.

In our jurisdiction we will only require a Seed Protectant Pesticide Applicator Licence.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...