• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	777688

Yea the heat and wind of July and no rain had no effect on Yield. F#$K YOU it didn't.

Now if feel much better. I read every day we can't find out which way prices are going to go for crops because we don't know whats happening with the canadian crop. This is the biggest crock of shit out their.

It was Hot it was one of the Driest Summers of all time actually in a 130 years and the Wind blew every day it seemed. Oh today wind speed will be 60 km or greater.

The above photo is from my worst first seeded Canola and yes when it doesn't rain for over 45 days and that includes the hottest month in Canada July. Crops won't be up to standards. Yes the heavy land did fair a bit better but still what expert or buyer actually knows what happens to plants flowering in heat wind and dry.
    None they drive buy on way to the lakes or fly over and say yea its good or get five miles out of Winnipeg.

Yields will be down. Quit the madness.

Ok on the political front Our Bright leader is now telling the world all illegals coming into Canada will be screened and if they pass excepted into Canada or if they fail and have a criminal record sent back to where ever they came from.

Ah here is your kiss oh sorry your going back to hell, you should of stayed in the USA.

Now for funnest part of my week i got to spend time with a old friend of mine Mallee and his lovely wife. We crop toured, Checked out the farm, Almost got to harvest and then had a wonderful evening that actually was the latest i have been up in quite a while, Birds almost started to sing. Thanks for stopping in mate and enjoy the rest of your time in Canada.

Now on to this weeks Crop tour.

Hrs is in the final days and most would be out of frost damage territory by mid week next week. Most, no all guys locally that strait cut have started or finishing fall spraying to shut down the crop. We had two guys who were stubborn and didn't do it this way they had issues with green kernels and tough straw. They turned to the dark side and both sprayed this year. It works we have being doing it since the 80s. It evens out the crop dries down awesome and some times helps with frost or grade. We did get in and do our worst seeded field and had two surprises. One the yield was bad but not as bad as i expected. The other bad thing was with all the fertilizer this crop got and the heat and still the protein level was just 13.5 So protein in some of the better might not be their.

Name:	IMG_1113.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	777689

Barley, most early is off and in the bin, yields down but surprise is most will make malt. Low protein in all cases of sample sent in and nice specs. Later is ready to go today but of course storm clouds are on the menu for tonight. Why not. Geese have started to eat and its time to go. Later is thicker but will it make spec.

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	777690

Soy I'm worried about because every field is starting to do what it was supose to do a month ago. Its finally gaining height and pods are their but they need a big rain and another month. Im pulling for you guys but if it makes it, soy will replace canola in our area in about five years time. Lets hope it does.

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	777691

Peas are all done or just finishing. New guy on Redlands is last one up. Over all it was a average pea crop no big hitters just a average.

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	777692

Oats is turning so fast it isn't funny, One half is already swath and soon will be harvested,Later seeded is turing also a sign it burnt from the heat. I think light oats will be a issue this year.

Flax is turning and some will be shut down next week. it is thinner than usual and yield will be down.

Canola the retarded sister with unprofitable seed costs for a product that can't take the heat, flood, wind, bugs, etc etc. But as farmers we spend Millions s on growing it and the only real winner is the seed companies who get paid even if we don't. Seed costs on Canola are out of hand for varieties that have very little new traits etc. Yield will be just over half of last years crop on our farm and by what i seen in Saskatchewan touring this summer probably some areas will have 1/4 of normal and yes some will be same as last year. Have not seen that one spectacular field yet even at the big boy 100 bus acre guys area. 16.5 mt crop thats it. Bins will be empty come next June. Boy will that be a long shut down for crushers.

Pastures are dropping ratings every day as again were three weeks without any moisture to speak of. Oh yea grass two drops yesterday as i was walking around should count that. Hay crop one cut and it wasn't that great.

So again thanks Mallee for the visit, enjoy your Canadian time.

To all the farmers be safe its just a crop that they are already trying to take for less money because the ones at home are way more important than this crop. Peas dropped to 7.50 form 8.25 on harvest pressure ha ha ha hahahah ha.

Nice report,

any theories as to why the protein seems low in your wheat?

Lower protein will be good in the barley though.
    Last edited by danny W1M; Aug 24, 2017, 07:56.

Comment

You got to wonder if the roots didn't grow past the N and it was stranded higher up in the dry soil. We found more piebald kernels this year as well, some samples a bit worse that others. Or did they come from the tillers?

We are basically done wheat. Ok give me shit for saying it, but better than what we expected. Remember we have variable land and some better than other stuff we have. So results varied but still decent given the year we came through.... any fool can grow wheat... it always was a more drought tolerant crop than some of the specialties we've adopted.

We are now into canola. My weather concern has now changed from rain on susceptible crops to my nemesis...the wind. The canola is more of an orange color than black. Swath timing was tricky this year.
      There is green in the crushed rolled strips but it is testing under 7 so I think the cholorphyll is locked in.... it would have to be re-wet and then maybe it wouldn't even all come out. Better put it in the bin than worry about being a half or one percent over on the green count. I should do a sloppy dockage test... we have a 6.5 round hole and a .038 slot and lungs as the aspirator. There is some canola pepper coming through the slot(tells me we can't be chucking too much out the back end of the combine.)

Flax is getting quite brown.... one of the few crops we do "preharvest"...not ready yet. I think I have time.

Happy Harvest and work safe.
      Last edited by farmaholic; Aug 24, 2017, 09:12.

Comment

We're forecast for 15-20mm for tomorrow. Just saying. I always like a rain on my canola before harvest too, bring the green down to zero and rottens up the straw as well.

We'll finish off our early wheat today, rest is still not ready. Same with durum. Rain won't hurt unless in comes with a strong wind.
        Last edited by danny W1M; Aug 24, 2017, 08:18.

Comment

In 500 grams. About 3% dockage in fines through a .038 slot and what stayed on a 6.5 round hole.

Comment

I think the lower protein is fact the plants grew seed instead of putting protein in wheat. Made bushels as it got dryer or finished filling and then just shut down. Lots of n went on and lots or enough in soil tests inground hopefully the rest is better

Comment

She's a monster crop boys sell everything fast and head for the hills. Prices tanking sell now before they take it for nothing, actually they are already!!!! CROOKS.
              Shit will hit the fan this winter when the bins are empty. Contracts have to filled this fall and for some it won't leave much in the bin once filled minus seed. 13 bu lentil crop and 10 bu contracted leaves enough left for a bottle of spiced rum.
              Funny how traders/grain companies only want to talk about the "good" areas. Next they will telling us is the prices of today have included the drought premium. $8 peas really??
              But, don't forget to book your fert when you haul in your contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
                I think the lower protein is fact the plants grew seed instead of putting protein in wheat....
                Care to expand on, or explain, that statement? I don't follow you.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                  Care to expand on, or explain, that statement? I don't follow you.
                  Oh oh...here we go again!

Comment

He's not very smart that's why!

It produced the seeds that's all.

Will see on rest of fields

Barley harvest starts today

Comment

Maybe I spoke too soon about finishing the early wheat today. Heavy moist air blowing in now from the east, nearly fog like. Will have a much later start today now.

Comment

How's the thins/plump?

Comment

Some barley combined in area, some canola swathed, just getting to proper stage. Neighbor's barley testing 19%, wet yield on scale 92.7bu/acre heavy Copeland. Another 6 row yield about 70 bu/acre.

Comment

Doesn't it produce seed every year? Or only in dry years? Perplexing.

Comment

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	765964

Barley is nice but will it make malt

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...